Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: pet peeves (drum-related)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzpolice
    ...." "Ya gotta be up **** early to surprise this little black duck" (Daffy Duck voice)
    Duck season!
    Rabbit season!
    Duck season!
    Rabbit season!
    Rabbit season!
    Duck Season!
    BLAM!
    You're dispicable

User Info Menu

I have another peeve:
    I hate it when people don't give you enough room to set up properly. I have my kit set up so everything takes about the same reach so I can move more fluidly around it. Somebody tries to move your floor tom over a little bit, or, most often, moves your cymbal stands further in. They say "I only moved it like 2", that things 16" around, what difference is that going to make?"
    "I'll tell ya what. You can move my kit around as much as you want, only if I can move one of your guitar strings over a 1/2". Good luck playing that!"
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

My guitarist asked me how sturdy my bass drum was the other day. I answered with "There is no way in Hell you are going to stand on my bass drum!".

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

my 300lb singer said threatend to do a handstand on my kick, i threatend to stab him in the neck.

User Info Menu

When I first had my splash cymbal it seemed unbreakable, then I told my ex-singer that, he was like "You wanna let me see if it is?" He had a stick in his hand and everything.
    And I thought for a moment:
    "No actually let's just get back to jamming."
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I dont even have a drumset yet but im gonna post my peeves lol..

Videos of amatuers with un-tuned drums that sound f'n awful but still play like they're rockin the house down.. cmon man if you're gonna drum atleast learn your instrument well enough to know if its tuned or not.

No style drummers.. could you be anymore boring to watch?
    No talent a** clowns that think they're hot stuff.. as previously stated by many forum members.
    SONGS THAT HAVE THE SAME BEAT over and over.. I.E *SNARE. BASS. SNARE. BASS* OMG BORING. usually i find this in alot of country music WHICH I HATE BTW.

since i dont even have a drumset yet i find it a little awkward to post this but i watch alot of drumming and i have "big ears" so to speak.

User Info Menu

Haha, songs that have the same beat over and over. You should try listening to the White Stripes =P

Man, I heard I White Stripes song on the radio yesterday. I nearly had to kill myself. Jack was playing like 3 different notes and Meg hit quarters on the bass drum, FOR THE WHOLE SONG. Not even an ounce of a beat in there, just quarters on a bass.

I don't get what is with the whole influx of minimalistic musicians these days. Yes, some music can sound good when it is simple. But not that simple, jeez. It's worse than some of the Guitar Riffs in Static X.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool pet peeves (drum-related)

Quote Originally Posted by Musicnut74

Oh BTW I'm old school and I still refer to "heads" as "skins" AND yes you still can find natural skins for your drums!!!
    That's exactly why old-school dudes (like us) occasionally refer to drumheads (and sometimes drums in general) as "the skins," even if they're Ambassadors, Hydraulics, or FiberSkyns...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Candlelight Chaos
    I totally hear you man. Even my guitarist admits he would definitly get Dimebag Darrell's guitar, or Kirk Hammet's guitar(s), but he admits he couldn't handle it.
    Like I couldn't handle a set with tribal drums, and bells, and 10 toms, etc.
    I can barely handle the set I have now.
    I wouldn't agree with ya there.about the guitars...
    95% of guitars are fundamentally the same in my experience. So I don't think being able to "handle" a guitar would be as big an issue as it would be in the drum world.

For instance (although there would be a difference in tone) I could play a riff on a $200 guitar and pick up a customized $2000 guitar and I could play the exact same riff. I mean a guitar novice isn't exactly going to be unable to play a $2000 guitar just because of the price....

but give a drum novice a 10 piece kit and tell him to go nuts.....I don't think he could use/handle it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by someguyplayingdrum
    Does this stuff drive anybody else crazy?? I hate it when someone uses the word skin, instead of head. They been plastic a looooonnnnng time now. I hate it when someone says ring instead of rim or hoop. I'm not saying I'm right.but it drives me crazy. I hate it when an alleged drummer uses the word base for bass. I hate it when someone means pedal and writes petal or peddle. I hate it when a brand new stick loses its tip. Who else has a drumming pet peeve???
    Sorry to step on your pet peeve. I used "skins" in another post recently, but then I'm probably less old school than just plain old! I may be coming to drumming a bit later than most, but I do love it, and if you'll endure my ocassional dumb comments, I would like to feel a part of the drumming community. BTW I won't ever pretend that I am better than I am, and I won't ever abuse a drum! I don't have any pet peeves so far, but I'm sure they'll come.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Duck season!
    Rabbit season!
    Duck season!
    Rabbit season!
    Rabbit season!
    Duck Season!
    BLAM!
    You're dispicable
    That is one of the best loony toons of all time!!!
    That and the one where daffy plays Robbin Hood.

"Actually, it's a buck-and-a-quarter quarterstaff, but I'm not telling him that"
    "Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!"
    "Yoicks . . . and away!"

Classic!!!!

User Info Menu

What about the knight from "Worsdashis-dashis-dashis-dashis-dashire"?

That was hilarious!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mexicancounciloffood
    I wouldn't agree with ya there.about the guitars...
    95% of guitars are fundamentally the same in my experience. So I don't think being able to "handle" a guitar would be as big an issue as it would be in the drum world.

For instance (although there would be a difference in tone) I could play a riff on a $200 guitar and pick up a customized $2000 guitar and I could play the exact same riff. I mean a guitar novice isn't exactly going to be unable to play a $2000 guitar just because of the price....

but give a drum novice a 10 piece kit and tell him to go nuts.....I don't think he could use/handle it.
    I don't think that is entirely true - about the guitars I mean. A cheap $200 guitar is very different from a $2000 guitar, and not just in the way it sounds. The action is different, length and thickness of the neck can be different, weight, how the strings sit and respond, how much pressure is needed to get the notes/chords right - then of course add in whammy bars and that and they can become very different beasts.

I don't disagree that if you can't play a 5 piece you won't be any better on a 10 peice, but to say that someone can pick up any guitar and it won't make a difference I don't think is right either. Think of it like a cheap double-kick pedal VS DW9002 series double pedal - essentially the same peice of equipment, but can operate very differently and has a very different outcome on the player.

EDIT: Also, I remember not long after I started I set up two kits as one - you know with two kicks, 6 toms, only used 1 snare - anyway, I also remember that I played better on it because I had more room to move and was able to reach more things when I wanted, becuase there was just more available to me. So in that regard I think the bigger/better kit can improve someones ability to play to a degree also - not everyone, but depending on the person and how they do it.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 05-17-2007 at 10:30 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

i know this is supposed to be drum related BUT...i really dislike slow drivers driving in the right lane......GET OUT OF THE WAY!

ok i feel better now, thanks.

in regards to drums and music, musicians that are very judgmental about other musicians, especially when they know that someone is still learning. to all those "musicians" go suck an egg.
    Last edited by livewire80; 05-18-2007 at 04:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    I don't think that is entirely true - about the guitars I mean. A cheap $200 guitar is very different from a $2000 guitar, and not just in the way it sounds. The action is different, length and thickness of the neck can be different, weight, how the strings sit and respond, how much pressure is needed to get the notes/chords right - then of course add in whammy bars and that and they can become very different beasts.

I don't disagree that if you can't play a 5 piece you won't be any better on a 10 peice, but to say that someone can pick up any guitar and it won't make a difference I don't think is right either. Think of it like a cheap double-kick pedal VS DW9002 series double pedal - essentially the same peice of equipment, but can operate very differently and has a very different outcome on the player.

EDIT: Also, I remember not long after I started I set up two kits as one - you know with two kicks, 6 toms, only used 1 snare - anyway, I also remember that I played better on it because I had more room to move and was able to reach more things when I wanted, becuase there was just more available to me. So in that regard I think the bigger/better kit can improve someones ability to play to a degree also - not everyone, but depending on the person and how they do it.
    Ok well assuming you get a low grade guitar set up to a certain standard that is playable what i am getting at is when it comes down to it 6 strings = 6 strings and 5 drums doesn't = 10 drums.

I've been playing guitar for nearly eight years now the most expensive guitar I have is a tanglewood resonator (£300) my main guitar is a Squier duo-Sonic (£100) and Its not that i don't spend money on equipment- I have a great pedal board and a pretty expensive amp- it's just my Duo-sonic plays great and suits me down to the ground. I can play pretty fast on it(not that speed matters) and it has a great tone.

So essentially what i believe is that you can give a great guitar player a rubbish guitar and he will still be great. you can give him a great guitar and he might be marginally better and you could give a rubbish guitar player a great guitar and it wouldn't improve hime( not because he cant handle it/ just because he's not a great guitar player.

Unfortunatly i don't think this applies in the least to drums.

User Info Menu

i hate when i'll be drumming on my desk at school and a kid will say
    you suck i can play way better and they play 16 notes that sound like flams

User Info Menu

Hey, welcome to Drum Chat Wild Drummer!

User Info Menu

Cool pet peeves (drum related)

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Hey, welcome to Drum Chat Wild Drummer!
    hey, super mod...did you alert Wild Drummer about the newbie initiation?

noooooo...

follow instructions as displayed...http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php?t=1699

Welcome aboard, Wild Drummer (and we got a few of those around here, even though you're the only one who admits it!)
    Last edited by bongobro; 05-20-2007 at 11:21 AM.

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

I hate people saying joey jordison is the worlds greatest drummer. Travis barker over him and they aint even the independant drummers that are sponcered.

A pet hate i have Musically is people thinking there cool. Showing off. And i have to go on there and kick their :P Or i just ignor it all together. I have some good tafe stories to share with you all one day :>

A general hate is american spelling. They do it just to be different. Before americans magic was spelt magick...... or magik I cant remember. But thats not my fault. Its the americans! (Apointment to the government not its citizens)
    Last edited by Stevo42w; 06-03-2007 at 12:13 PM.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Dont deliberately swear. It makes your post look very messy.

User Info Menu

thanku drummer and bongobro i dont know anyone to do the ination paragraph on

User Info Menu

Cool pet peeves (drum-related)

Don't worry...there are plenty of senior drummers that you can tackle--and virtually all of us have good senses of humor...

of course, you realise that it is difficult for a Yank like me to write a colourful paragraph in English English without sending the Spell Checker into a phoney but very real state of hysteria...if it was a person, it would want to jump off a 12-storey building...

(for our American friends, "realize", "colorful," "phony" and "story" were spelled in British and Aussie style to demonstrate what Stevo is peeved about)...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Yeah. Sorry about my mouth. I will try to control it. But im australian. We all swear as expression over here. Sorry guys
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i hate when people air drum. theres 2 kids on my bus and that hole bus ride they listen to their iPods and air drum the hoel time. I just gets annoying because they act like there soo good at drumming, but ive heard them and there not that great.

User Info Menu

Default Re: pet peeves (drum-related)

i didn't read through all the posts but when I see a bass drum with a manufacturers logo head that's crooked kind of throws me off. Have seen three different local drummers with this recently. If getting it straight by eye is too hard then there's these things called levels that should solve the problem.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN