Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: pet peeves (drum-related)

User Info Menu

Default Re: pet peeves (drum-related)

I know this post is old, but I thought it was interesting. I hate when cymbals are played on stands without any felts. The cymbal vibrates through the entire stand. I also don't like when a person has massive "chops", but can't play a simple straight "pocket" beat to serve the music.
    Last edited by 501208; 09-07-2014 at 07:57 PM.

User Info Menu

I hate it when the only fills some drummers play are straight 1/16 notes or rolls down the toms.....and do it every chance they get.
    And I hate it when Bass players never look at me....or play a shuffle and can't play the double beat in time.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I hate that my guitarist, who played drums for some time and is self-taught, keeps telling me to "just listen to X and play it." Especially since at my low-intermediate level I still need to get the basics down, and even more so when he freely admits, "My left side is retarded." Well, if you practiced the right way (e.g. not just playing along to music), no side would be retarded, and then you could actually call yourself the drummer.

Luckily, I set myself to ignore mode and let him think he's this expert...
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I hate when someone rolls up my mic cables and uses the end of the cable as the tie-wrap. Meaning, they twist the end ever so tightly around itself. That kind of kink/strain cannot be good for a cable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I hate when someone rolls up my mic cables and uses the end of the cable as the tie-wrap. Meaning, they twist the end ever so tightly around itself. That kind of kink/strain cannot be good for a cable.
    Tex :
    Back in the days of good concerts, I was a SHOWCO roadie in Dallas for a couple of years.
    One of the most important tasks that any sound crew will ever learn is how to roll a mike cable and properly place it in the storage road case.

When you do a six-week tour with only a few nights off, and you expect those cables to work every night, you better know how to take good care of them.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    I hate that my guitarist, who played drums for some time and is self-taught, keeps telling me to "just listen to X and play it." Especially since at my low-intermediate level I still need to get the basics down, and even more so when he freely admits, "My left side is retarded." Well, if you practiced the right way (e.g. not just playing along to music), no side would be retarded, and then you could actually call yourself the drummer.

Just do the best that you can. Most importantly keep that "time".

User Info Menu

I hate when people automatically assume I love Neil Peart just because I play drums, and drummers who think Neil is God because they have never been exposed to the really great drummers and therefore know they cannot exist.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Tex :
    Back in the days of good concerts, I was a SHOWCO roadie in Dallas for a couple of years.
    One of the most important tasks that any sound crew will ever learn is how to roll a mike cable and properly place it in the storage road case.

When you do a six-week tour with only a few nights off, and you expect those cables to work every night, you better know how to take good care of them.
    When I took an intro sound class (basics of PA systems, Mic's, DAW's and Interfaces) We spent the first 4-5 classes setting up and breaking down to practice proper cable rolling and how to properly store all equipment.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Thanks 501...some people just love to be the expert!

Signia, you know, when I started playing again I decided to download the Rush discography, thinking that they must have some good songs. Man, Tom Sawyer is the only song of theirs I can listen to and the drums on that are not overly impressive).

He's a great drummer yes, but great drums alone is not reason enough to like music. Last month I saw an= add for a prog rock group looking for a drummer, they specified Peart and Portnoy as what they were looking for. I wanted to write them "I doubt you guys are on that level for your instruments, and any drummer who is doesn't need online forums to get gigs, you wankers!"
    Yamaha DTX 500 module
    Anatolian Kappadokia 14" Rock High Hats
    Sabian El Sabor 20" Ride
    Zildjian A 18" Crash Ride
    Istanbul Agop 16" Trash Hit
    1950's Zildjian 14" Splash/light crash
    Istanbul 8" Splash (pre 1997)
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Piccolo
    1965 Premier 3 piece 10, 16, 22

User Info Menu

I've enjoyed every page of this zombie thread. I'm glad you revived it.

Here are a few of mine:

1. Being asked to play "Wipeout!"

2. When I'm playing a set, and someone yells "Freebird!" Really? That joke stopped being funny about 1994.

3. Bass players that are simply converted guitar players and understand very little about playing groove and rarely play below the 5th fret.

4. The question, "Can I play your drums?"

5. Having to re-learn a song that you've been playing the exact same way for many years...and you have to learn it differently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    I hate when people automatically assume I love Neil Peart just because I play drums, and drummers who think Neil is God because they have never been exposed to the really great drummers and therefore know they cannot exist.
    Oh gosh, I had this friend who used to ask me if I listened to Rush...every time I saw him. I don't know how many times I had to say, "Sorry man. I just don't listen to Rush." He actually thought I was good enough to start a Rush cover band with him (and I'm nowhere NEAR that level). One time I was over at his place, and after repeating phrases like "I'm not really into Rush," "Yes, I've seen that solo. It's good, but I'm not into it," etc., this guy sat me down and MADE me watch it. I told him it was awesome, and I loved it.

I know people love Rush, and I really wish that I was one of them. I've tried, but I just can't get into them. I mean, they are very talented, have a huge fan base, and will always be a very well-respected band. I just can't get used to those vocals over the progressive rock textures.

All in all, I respect Peart's work, and I have an appreciation for it, but I don't particularly like it.

User Info Menu

I used to hate it when during a gig someone would yell out, "play wipeout" or "play free bird".....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I used to hate it when during a gig someone would yell out, "play wipeout" or "play free bird".....
    Why? Our band would be glad to oblige them on both of those.

all the best...

User Info Menu

My biggest drum pet peeve is when I see a band or have to use a backline kit that is way too muffled (especially on the toms). They might sound great from behind, but in the house they don't take up near enough sonic space so when people go from cymbal-based grooves to Tom-based grooves it just leaves such an empty space in the mix that drives me nuts. I don't like using backline kits like that as it forces me to change the parts I have for songs because they don't take up the proper frequencies that need to be filled. It's not that I don't enjoy a challenge, but it's easier to not have to change things on the fly for sure.

Also I don't like when people have their snare wires way too tight. In the live mix the looser snares only make the drum sound bigger, so I also feel that when the snares are so tight that it sits in a mix in the weirdest way. Snare-buzz when you hit a tom is not a bad thing, it actually makes them sound fuller in the house!

Woooo it feels good to get that stuff off my chest haha
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    I hate it when people say, (and they ALWAYS say this), "I could play the drums if i wanted to its easy". do they understand the coordination it takes to learn to how play? and how much hair you have to pull to coordinate a new style or beat.! grrrrr.....
    I really hear you on that one! That one sends me into orbit.

Another thing that drives me nuts is when I list my cymbal collection and someone says "Ringo Starr has that exact same dark crash! You must've bought that one to be like Ringo/because Ringo has that one." (I never buy any drum gear because some famous drummer uses/endorses it. I buy gear based on my taste. I didn't even know Ringo uses the same dark crash I do until after I bought the wonderful-sounding cymbal.)

By far, my biggest pet peeve is someone who knows nothing about drumming (usually a relative), claims I can't play drums. Even when I go out of my way to prove them wrong (nothing too fancy, I just want to prove I can play, not totally show off), they respond with "I wouldn't call that playing."
    "It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

Have drums, will travel.

WARNING: Practical joke-playing drummer ahead!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Add Mustang Sally and Proud Mary to that list.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Why? Our band would be glad to oblige them on both of those.

all the best...
    Probably because bands are not juke boxes. I certainly wouldn't want some drunk dude putting any coins in my slot!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post

i'd shove my stick right up his ####.

cheers
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by isaacvining View Post
    Snare-buzz when you hit a tom is not a bad thing, it actually makes them sound fuller in the house!

Woooo it feels good to get that stuff off my chest haha
    Isaac, I agree with most of your post................but snare buzz has always bothered me..............................normally it gets lost in the mix, but I hate it when we play a slow ballad and the bass player hits a certain note.................and you hear buuuuuuzz....................bugs me

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i'd shove my stick right up his ####.

cheers
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Isaac, I agree with most of your post................but snare buzz has always bothered me..............................normally it gets lost in the mix, but I hate it when we play a slow ballad and the bass player hits a certain note.................and you hear buuuuuuzz....................bugs me
    i get this, i have to drop the strainer mid-song whilst i'm not playing.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Bugs me too. I guess this different to when another drum causes the buzz as this, in my view, does contribute quite positively to the overall sound. But, bass guitar and snare buzz is properly annoying!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Erm...?
    I think mine would be people trying to help set up /tear down and they loose small stuff, I have lost a hh clutch, snare tension rod,and cymbal felts/wing nuts like that.
    And well meaning people who carry stuff out to the car, and then load it ALL WRONG!!
    I guess me being 13, and a girl people think they are helping, and some do ask me, what goes where? so they are cool!
    OOh! and people who can't believe drums have 'charts/music' I get a few weird looks when I say I read drum music... then some have answered, but it isn't like 'real' music like for piano is it?
    NO! It is like real drum music you nit!

Spooky

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Erm...?
    I think mine would be people trying to help set up /tear down and they loose small stuff, I have lost a hh clutch, snare tension rod,and cymbal felts/wing nuts like that.
    And well meaning people who carry stuff out to the car, and then load it ALL WRONG!!
    I guess me being 13, and a girl people think they are helping, and some do ask me, what goes where? so they are cool!
    OOh! and people who can't believe drums have 'charts/music' I get a few weird looks when I say I read drum music... then some have answered, but it isn't like 'real' music like for piano is it?
    NO! It is like real drum music you nit!

Spooky
    "I think mine would be people trying to help set up /tear down and they loose small stuff, I have lost a hh clutch, snare tension rod,and cymbal felts/wing nuts like that.
    And well meaning people who carry stuff out to the car, and then load it ALL WRONG!!"

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't stand it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    Erm...?
    Back when I was playing out all the time, if I ran into people that wanted to help, I'd get them to help me carry my stuff from wherever I was playing to the vehicle. I didn't let anyone help me tear down or pack into the car; however, they could carry my stuff all they wanted to.

User Info Menu

Why do wing nuts always land under the kick pedal footboard. Is it a cosmic wing nut accumulator?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168