Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: pet peeves (drum-related)

User Info Menu

[Gentlemen, keep your "war stories" to yourself. They're really lame.]

Agreed. Funky...please be careful with this sort of thing in here.

Thx!

User Info Menu

Just about every girl you're going to meet is going to want a drum lesson - even the ones you don't really like that much.
    That's soooo true I get it all the time, and you know it's not possible

Also I hate when people play out of their ability and try too hard because it just makes them sound worse.
    Although I have done from time to time
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    [Gentlemen, keep your "war stories" to yourself. They're really lame.]

Agreed. Funky...please be careful with this sort of thing in here.

Thx!
    my bad, sorry. i will watch it.

User Info Menu

It just burns me when you have a jazz band instructor who doesn't even know the right names of the equipment. As in instead of ride cymbal he just calls it "A suspended cymbal" when there are like six of them in the freakin' room on the same type of stand. Also when he tells me to use mallets instead of sticks. Also about people who think all drummers are dumb. WE ARE NOT DEE DEE DEES PEOPLE! We are smart too. Can I get an amen!
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

Next Drum Purchase: Piccolo Snare
    Next Cymbal purchase: Splash cymbal and splash claw.

User Info Menu

Cool pet peeves (drum-related)

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum
    I hate it when people sit in on drum circles and can only play one beat. Every time there is a lull in the sound when everybody is waiting for someone else to lead into something else, that person ALWAYS jumps in and drags everyone back to that same beat. Does'nt matter what speed or style, If he beats the drum hard enough, he's going to force everyone else to go back to it or kill the music.

To all you djembe players: please don't try to lead if you don't have the chops!

Learn some diversity and other people in the circle will start looking to you lead. Ok, I ranted. I feel better now...
    Hey, 1DB, that also applies to conga and bongo players, too...trust me, you don't have to (mis)play a djembe to break the circle...

On a related note, pun intended, set players who ignore what the hand drummer's doin' (and vice versa) who end up fightin' each other instead of complementin' each other...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Can I get an amen!
    AMEN

HALLELUJAH!
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Cool pet peeves (drum-related)

Quote Originally Posted by amputechture
    ...also I hate when people play out of their ability and try too hard because it just makes them sound worse.

Although I have done from time to time
    I say AMEN to that one, BRO'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Church is in session!
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

I can relate to most things ye guys are saying but this is what really gets me...

playing with people who have less experience than you and refuse to take advice from anyone is a huge pain to me.
    ya'll probably saw my rant about my drummer ages ago. i've been trying to teach this guy the stroke and he just won't concentrate on what i'm telling him. he always asks me how i can go so fast on the hi-hats and i tell him and show him ....look if you can master this one technique....then i guarantee you will be get up to scratch in a month. but oh no....he just goes off and tries his own method every week to no avail and he wonders why he can't get a handle on it.....we ask him to get lessons.....he said he would....two months later......he hasn't got lessons. he has been playing for four years and has absolutly no concept of time.....he does not know what a 4/4 is and this really really really peeves me off....

basically it peeves me off(correct use of word?) if some of a lesser playing ability won't strive to better their playing and compliment songs that are in need of good instrumentation.

User Info Menu

sounds like one stupid and stubborn kid. I'm probably younger than him and ten times better. This kid's sticks should be burnt. Agreed?
    I AM SABIAN MAN!

User Info Menu

I talked to a kid once and he asked me how longed I'd played and I told him and asked how long he'd played. then he said that right now he wasn't very good because he only had a five piece kit, but once he got his new bigger kit he was going to be awesome.

At the time I was playing a four piece kit and asked him how anything would be different if he couldn't master a five piece, what made him think he would master a ten piece - "worry about the snare and the hi-hat" I said. I guess some people don't want to learn how to walk before they try and run.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

sounds like one stupid and stubborn kid. I'm probably younger than him and ten times better. This kid's sticks should be burnt. Agreed?
    well he goes through a set of sticks every two weeks. i tell him to hit that hi-hat with the ball of his sticks and you will get more bounce.....and he goes and hits the hi-hat with the shaft.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    I talked to a kid once and he asked me how longed I'd played and I told him and asked how long he'd played. then he said that right now he wasn't very good because he only had a five piece kit, but once he got his new bigger kit he was going to be awesome.
    I totally hear you man. Even my guitarist admits he would definitly get Dimebag Darrell's guitar, or Kirk Hammet's guitar(s), but he admits he couldn't handle it.
    Like I couldn't handle a set with tribal drums, and bells, and 10 toms, etc.
    I can barely handle the set I have now. (By that I mean I can play all the songs we jam to on my set, except "Yesterday Don't Mean Sh*t" by Pantera cuz it has a cowbell, and I don't have a cowbell....)
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

Hy CC, what does the canadian pirate thing mean?

User Info Menu

Here's one of my MAJOR peeves:

When other members of your band assumes your kit is a piece of "furniture" !!!! DON"T MESS WITH THE DRUMS!!!!

Oh BTW I'm old school and I still refer to "heads" as "skins" AND yes you still can find natural skins for your drums!!!
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

I hate it when people say, (and they ALWAYS say this), "I could play the drums if i wanted to its easy". do they understand the coordination it takes to learn to how play? and how much hair you have to pull to coordinate a new style or beat.! grrrrr.....

User Info Menu

heres one that gets me though it doesnt happen often. I hate it when you decide you want to practice so you begin to play, but for some reason you suck. You constantly mess up and go off tempo. Among other things that enrage you. Than after about 10 minutes of frustration you leave, and about 20 minutes after that you completely forget how bad you sucked earlier and give it another go. Just to realize you still suck
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

i hate it when people say its easy to play the drums even though they have never even touched one before, yeah right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CAM1027
    Also about people who think all drummers are dumb. WE ARE NOT DEE DEE DEES PEOPLE! We are smart too. Can I get an amen!
    Amen and Hallelujah.
    And no offense intended regarding the skin versus head thing. Its my pet peeve, you can call it whatever you want. And I do know you can still get a real skin-head, just too cheap to spend the $$

User Info Menu

no offense taken.... just joking around
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

wow double post, oops sorry

User Info Menu

yeah im a learning the drums and its not that easy and i get mad when people say oh pleas how hard can it be ur just banging on stuff....it cant be that hard...but it is cuz u have to keep a steady beat and not mess up cuz when u mess up u mess up the hole band cuz the drums is the main thing keeping the beat......

User Info Menu

My pet peev is that they assume all percussion is not pitched. They shut [deleted] up when I pull out my orchestral glockenspiel n do Miles Davis' "So What"! (only cuz im still saving for my proper jazz vibes), then spin out half a dozen jokes before they say "did you hear about the drummer...." "Ya gotta be up damn early to surprise this little black duck" (Daffy Duck voice)

[jazzpolice, don't use cuss words in here please - admin]

User Info Menu

Everybody jokes with me that all I do is count to four and someone once said to me 'you know what comes after four right? yeah it's one' just stupid things that I don't let bother me.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by someguyplayingdrum
    Hy CC, what does the canadian pirate thing mean?
    Its a cartoon on the internet called Claveman. He gets attacked by a Canandian Pirate who always goes "Arrgh...eh?"
    Its stupid funny if you understand what I mean.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.