Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: pet peeves (drum-related)

User Info Menu

Default pet peeves (drum-related)

Does this stuff drive anybody else crazy?? I hate it when someone uses the word skin, instead of head. They been plastic a looooonnnnng time now. I hate it when someone says ring instead of rim or hoop. I'm not saying I'm right.but it drives me crazy. I hate it when an alleged drummer uses the word base for bass. I hate it when someone means pedal and writes petal or peddle. I hate it when a brand new stick loses its tip. Who else has a drumming pet peeve???

User Info Menu

"sock cymbal" - That drives me nuts!!

User Info Menu

I hate wannabe drummers... the people that try to snap to the beat and are WAY off. and will NEVER admit the fact that their off.

NO IM NOT OFF!! YOU MUST BE DUMB!

ugh.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I hate bad sets...oh wait everybody does...oops lol
    No really we have on set at my school that is just plain horrible and needs to burn!
    And then we will dance around it naked like tribal Hawaiians!

I hate it when people who suck, get more props than people who rock...
    Like me for example: I have a rival drummer who has no style or techique whatsoever. He plays as fast as he can and that's it! I try to play with style and finesse, but everyone (who don't know jack about drums) think I'm not all that good.
    (So that's why at my first gig I'm gonna pull a freaking Mike Portney and go freaking nuts!!!!!)

Sorry I'm ranting and raving....
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

I hate it when the drummer cannot controll his volume level. These guys usually have one mode, exteamly loud, even if they're playing a ballad in a room that holds 50 people. Some of these types are also notorious for playing on the back of the beat. They're just toatal beaters. No musicianship at all.

User Info Menu

Simbal, symbal, cimball, simbyl, simbel, symbel, cimble, simble..........

AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Drives me up the freaking wall when people don't know how to spell what they use.

"What do you like to do?"
    "I like to beat on durms and simbuls"

Where is my gun!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

1DB... same as rythm, rithem, rhitym, rythem, rithem, ryhthm, rithum, etc.

By the way... "RHYTHM"

User Info Menu

*now enrolling in 4th grade*

User Info Menu

Just about every girl you're going to meet is going to want a drum lesson - even the ones you don't really like that much.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

And some more... I hate it when a guy breaks your sticks, then puts them back without telling you.
    Hate sound men who decide to turn the drums waaaayyyyy down, because they think your too loud. This is a church band related issue, and you can't stop once the service starts to address mr soundman.
    Hate it when I get the evil eye just taking a drum into a church house. Geez, can I at least be offensive before you get offended....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CyberComa
    Just about every girl you're going to meet is going to want a drum lesson - even the ones you don't really like that much.
    this is a metaphor for.....
    Last edited by drummer; 03-09-2007 at 09:24 AM.

User Info Menu

I hate the kids, who claim their the best drummer ever, but can only do one thing

I go to school with a kid who can do the dennis chambers floor tom, rack tom, snare move, and he thinks hes the greatest ever, while ive been learning my own style, and styles of many people such as peart, bohnam, mcbrain, and he still thinks he's better

I also hate the people who cant apreciate rock drumming, or drum solos, cuz im naturally a loud drummer, and when ill launch into a solo, ill usually catch a lot of flack afterwards, such as

Man, awsome, but you were soooooo loud! i cant hear now!

Dont listen to a rock drummer, or a solo, if your not ready for the sound

User Info Menu

I hate it when a sound man thinks he knows my kit (or my playing) better than I do......I had some moron put a trigger on my kick drum at a gig once, instead of using a kick drum mic'......a TRIGGER!!!! That's when I was in that Metallica tribute band....I asked the guy, "You don't have a kick drum mic??" to which he arrogantly replied, "This will work fine, trust me.".....well, the trigger couldn't keep up with my feet, and only about half of what I was playing on the kick drum was coming through the P.A....I was MIFFED!!!! I told the dummy if he ever triggered my kick drum again, I would do him much bodily harm (keeping that clean for DrumChat...use your imagination to figure out what I REALLY said!). Needless to say, he NEVER triggered my kick drum ever again.....so I guess my point is, I hate sound men who THINK they know what they're doing, and really don't. (On the flip side of that coin, a good sound man is worth his weight in gold).

Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Also.....I hate when stupid people who claim to be drummers look at my kit and say "DW??? Who makes those?"

SMACK!!! ya moron....
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    Also.....I hate when stupid people who claim to be drummers look at my kit and say "DW??? Who makes those?"

SMACK!!! ya moron....
    "Dip wad"
    "Dip wad? Never heard of 'em"
    "No, I mean you're a dip wad"

User Info Menu

me?...i hate very few things so i orginized them..
    cheap sticks that break funny..as in ive had a couple that split down the middle.
    Half-A cover bands...rival band in my school dosent even coverthe entire songs...just 1:30 clips of them...
    Drummers that are defensive when you ask them about their kit or their playng style
    (no offence Rd if you do this one) but guitarists that in the middle of a song stop playing and look at you and make a half A attempt a drum roll telling you you need to put a fill there...but when you do they were conventiely meaning ANY othr fill then the one you played
    hmmm...im with lezzle i hate wannbe peeps that just randomly walk up take you sticks do a straight 16ths roll and hand them back because they think thats playing drums
    and finally...( maybe) guitarists that belive that They know it all and are tellin you how to develop your playing style ..i really hate it when they do that...makes me wanna go F'in crazy behind the kit...

thanks i needed to get this out of my system
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I absolutly despise people THAT PLAY FOR THEIR EGO, AND NOT THE SONG
    Damn, sorry, got a little excited...

-PerpetualFrog

User Info Menu

Angry pet peeves (drum-related)

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    I hate it when a sound man thinks he knows my kit (or my playing) better than I do...

I told the dummy if he ever triggered my kick drum again, I would do him much bodily harm (keeping that clean for DrumChat...use your imagination to figure out what I REALLY said!)...
    Amen to that, BTG!

My pet peeves include:

People who assume that drummers (hand drummers in particular) who have no business in church...

People who can't play drums (and think they can) who try to play along with you when you're playin' a gig...I remember playin' congas and bongos at a Christmas party; somebody brought his own (mistuned) bongos and overplayed along with my band... I felt somethin' like this by the end of the gig:

People who refer to congas, quintos and tumbas as "congo" drums (a minor peeve, but it's like callin' a bass drum a "base" drum)...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I hate it when people sit in on drum circles and can only play one beat. Every time there is a lull in the sound when everybody is waiting for someone else to lead into something else, that person ALWAYS jumps in and drags everyone back to that same beat. Does'nt matter what speed or style, If he beats the drum hard enough, he's going to force everyone else to go back to it or kill the music.

To all you djembe players: please don't try to lead if you don't have the chops!

Learn some diversity and other people in the circle will start looking to you lead. Ok, I ranted. I feel better now...
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 03-07-2007 at 09:35 PM.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

One thing I just remembered is when I'm told by guitarists (noob guitarists at that) tell my band "Oh, dude it would be so cool if you played this song!" or "Aw man, you guys would get uber props if you played this song!"

I can handle that, put to my lead guitarist and bassist, they go nuts and get alot like this
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash

User Info Menu

When somebody sits at your kit and wants to know what this does, what that does, if they can move the cymbal stand a little because they don't like it where it is, whats to know if you raise the snared drum a little bit. Then you have to check over every thing and put everything back where you had it.
    Serve The Song, Not The Ego - NEP

User Info Menu

The same guy who broke my sticks and hid them did that,too, CC. He also insisted on setting the second tom back up, which meant moving the ride cymbal, which meant moving the crash and china. He said "I'm not a jazz drummer dude, I gotta rock." I hate it when that happens.

User Info Menu

And they don't know what the heck they are talking about neither....Me and this kid are totally on the same page!! :lol:
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain
    this is a metaphor for.....:
    I had to mull this one over a bit before responding. I don't want to start a flame war with another member, but yeah, this is pretty discusting. Since we have our share of young people here I think it's rude to start talking about sexual exploits. I don't have a daughter, but if i did, I'd be a little upset if she were hearing this kind of baloney on DrumChat.

Ladies, be a credit to your sex. Don't be one of the bimbo's funky is refering to. Have a little class and selfrespect.

Gentlemen, keep your "war stories" to yourself. They're really lame.
    Last edited by drummer; 03-09-2007 at 09:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Can I talk about my battles in Iraq?
    Lol, just kidding...
    I don't need to joke like that either....

But I remembered another peeve!

When another drummer starts dissing you becuase you don't play as fast as he does (even though you have 5 times more style than he EVER will!)
    - Henry David Thoreau