Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity?????

User Info Menu

Thumbs down Humidity?????

does any body have suggestions on this topic?
    I keep my drums in the rec-room in the basement with a dehumidifier to keep the moisture down. In the winter time I dump about 2 gal. of water out a week in the summer time 2 gal. a day.
    now lets say if I were to turn this dehumidifier off.
    how do yous people feel that this would affect my drums over a long period of time?

User Info Menu

Wood + moisture = expansion and possibly deterioration.

User Info Menu

To expand on RD's post.......wood + moisture = expansion (which could lead to the finish cracking and peeling, if they're laquered, or a finish-ply material coming apart at the seams if that's what you have), and shell warping (do I need to say anything about warped shells?).....as a general rule, keep your drums in a place where YOU would be comfortable....not too hot, not too cold, not too dry, not too moist.
    Last edited by BigTallG; 03-07-2007 at 05:51 PM.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Cool Humidity????

To expand further...that's the problem...excess moisture also screws up your drum heads, whether they're natural or synthetic...

If you have to run the dehumidifier for YOU to be comfortable, you have to run it to keep the drums in playing condition...would also think of finding another place to store the drums if you can...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Personally, I wouldn't think of keeping a musical instrument in a space that requires a dehumidifier.

User Info Menu

really i do

that sux
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

yeah i had my set in my basement near a dehumidifier, and i moved it somewhere else it was way to rank and moist down there. I say move it to a different location if you can
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

Let me back up a bit. If it was a choice between keeping a cheap istument in a cellar, or not keeping one at all, I'd keep it in the cellar. But if I hear of anyone keeping a DW kit an unconditioned garage in the dead of a Wyoming winter, I'm going to go off!!

User Info Menu

OK so it's different then, my kit is no good, and it's in the basement or nothing at all.

At least my basement is insulated. lol
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

When not gigging, my DWs are either A) at my guitarist's house (where we practice) in the practice room (actually a spare bedroom) or B) in the basement at my house, which is finished and climate-controlled, just like the rest of the house....

Also, BB.....heads can be replaced at a relatively inexpensive cost....shells, $$$$$$

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    To expand on RD's post.......wood + moisture = expansion (which could lead to the finish cracking and peeling, if they're laquered, or a finish-ply material coming apart at the seams if that's what you have), and shell warping (do I need to say anything about warped shells?).....

WOOD + MOISTURE = DISASTER!!

Also, make sure your guitarist does'nt use your floor tom as a drink coaster!!! (I have some experience with this!! )
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Cool Humidity?????

When not gigging, my DWs are either A) at my guitarist's house (where we practice) in the practice room (actually a spare bedroom) or B) in the basement at my house, which is finished and climate-controlled, just like the rest of the house....

Also, BB.....heads can be replaced at a relatively inexpensive cost....shells, $$$$$$
    Understood, BTG...if you aren't comfortable in the basement, it doesn't do much for the shells, the heads or anything else, either...we're on the same page here, man...ya don't mess with the drummer, and ya don't mess with the drums, either!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musicnut74

Also, make sure your guitarist does'nt use your floor tom as a drink coaster!!! (I have some experience with this!! )

MN.....that's justifiable homicide in my eyes.

Last edited by BigTallG; 03-18-2007 at 08:48 AM.

User Info Menu

BTG.... Wire Cutters + Guitar Strings = REVENGE
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Guitar + Thrown through Cab = REVENGE

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Cool Humidity?????

MN.....that's justifiable homicide in my eyes.

There's not a court in this country who would convict me if a guitarist ever sat a drink on my congas, BTG...I'd simply turn him into my fourth conga, bro'! (and they know I'd bang the dude's head as hard as I do the conga heads)

backatcha...

Charlie

User Info Menu

You guys are a bunch of haters!

User Info Menu

Get your drums out of there ASAP! Believe me. DO IT! Blessings........
    Last edited by middleman; 09-15-2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

dude middleman you keep bring back the oldest posts, just look under new posts for the newer ones, theres nothing wrong with it, but you said get it out of there asap, that was 6 months ago, its not going to help, ive never even seen lou reed before so i dont think he ever gets on

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    dude middleman you keep bring back the oldest posts, just look under new posts for the newer ones, theres nothing wrong with it, but you said get it out of there asap, that was 6 months ago, its not going to help, ive never even seen lou reed before so i dont think he ever gets on
    Well I just signed up a few days ago. I'm still learning how to use this site....never done any drummer forums before. If I want to bring back the older posts why do you care? Is there a certain rule that after a certain date you shouldn't reply anymore? Just cause they're old doesn't mean I've read em. Blessings.........

User Info Menu

there's nothing wrong with it, i just thought it wouldnt really help him now to see this post, i mean im glad you are part of drumchat and that you are having fun with the website, i just thought it was kind of weird how that was 6 months old and you were just replying now, kind of forgot you were a newbie

User Info Menu

um middleman i think what he ment wasnt that you shouldnt read them or reply on them but that it would do no good to, if someone was concidering a certain bass pedal six months ago chances are they made there coice and your imput is no longer nessicary, it was more of a post on thereds that are releavent. or at least thats what i think coke can means

looks like while i was typeing he explained on his own, sorry
    Last edited by drummerdavie; 09-15-2007 at 10:40 PM. Reason: he explained while i was typeing
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Cool man thanks for the advice.......I'm learning this thing. I hava question for ya though. If you make a thread or post is there a way I can get an email or notification if someone responds to it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    um middleman i think what he ment wasnt that you shouldnt read them or reply on them but that it would do no good to, if someone was concidering a certain bass pedal six months ago chances are they made there coice and your imput is no longer nessicary, it was more of a post on thereds that are releavent. or at least thats what i think coke can means
    Oh I see..hehe.....at times it's hard to keep up in here. It makes sense. I should pay attention to dates better. Thanks bro...blessings......

User Info Menu

up top ware it says thred tools click it select subscribe choose your notification and go
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound