Thread: Im in a pickle.

User Info Menu

Default Im in a pickle.

So I've been looking for a new kit. I am looking to spend around $600-$1000 on shells. I have a few requirements though haha. 1-A big Virgin bass drum(22x20 or 22x22) 1 up and two down or 1up 1 down. So far the ddrum AMX have really stood out being a maple/ash hybrid but I have heard mixed reviews bc of the hardware. However with my requirements its have to find a mass produced kit in my range. Heads arent an issue as I will take mine of my current export kit. I am leaning towards the ddrum but idk. All help is appreciated guys. I am willing however to lean towards the $1000 side if needed. This will be my main kit (gigging anyway, pearls will be practice kit) for a couple years before I order my Truths . I know I need to go play some kits but I want to narrow it down before I go running around like a chicken with its head cut off lol. PS I love the look of the black hardware on the ddrum............

A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Im in a pickle.

DDrum have upgraded all there drums and make a very go product now IMHO. Also those drums look very sweet. Dont know if I would go with the square kick 20 x 22 yes

User Info Menu

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod comes with a 20x22 virgin 1up 1down. Mahogany shells. $699
    also comes in a 5pc with 1up 2 down 18x22 kick for $499.

Ludwig Centenial also comes with 20x22 virgin, 1up 1down, Maple shells - right at about $1k

Sonor SSE Rock kit - 20x22 virgin, 1up 2 down, not sure of shell composition - $799

I have no experience with any of these, but worth checking out as they meet your criteria.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Gretsch Catalina Club Mod comes with a 20x22 virgin 1up 1down. Mahogany shells. $699
    also comes in a 5pc with 1up 2 down 18x22 kick for $499.

Ludwig Centenial also comes with 20x22 virgin, 1up 1down, Maple shells - right at about $1k

Sonor SSE Rock kit - 20x22 virgin, 1up 2 down, not sure of shell composition - $799

I have no experience with any of these, but worth checking out as they meet your criteria.
    Thanks a ton. I wanna lean more towards the maple,ash,birch area than Mahogany area. Thanks a ton though Ill be looking into it here.

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    DDrum have upgraded all there drums and make a very go product now IMHO. Also those drums look very sweet. Dont know if I would go with the square kick 20 x 22 yes
    Thats what I was hearing. Most of the negitive feedback was from the drums back in the day. Now just to find a place that has one in stock

User Info Menu

Tama Superstars and Ludwig Epics are also one's I'd look at.

There is a Superstar SL Custom shell pack (4 pc) for $499 at MF, although it's a 22x18 kick.

The Epics are maple/birch and have a few different configs, although nothing exactly like what you want.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Ludwigs, heck yeah thats obvious, only the best darn set of drums on the market. We all know that.

Also try the Gretsch as suggested and maybe even Mapex. I suggest looking at all the major lines, the more the merrier and let your ears do the deciding.

Happy shopping and post some pics or let us know what you get.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

The key is finding a virgin kick in that price range. I tend to agree with Larry that ddrum has improved their product over the past several years. I recently saw a ddrum Dominion 5 piece Maple kit at a local music store, in a beautiful natural finish, for around $1,000. It had a virgin 22" x 20" kick, 10" x 8" tom, 12" x 8" tom, 16" x 14" floor tom, and 5-1/2" x 14" snare drum, all die cast hoops, and hardware was included. I was very impressed with the quality of the hardware. If I wasn't so happy with my Gretsch Catalina Maples, I would have seriously considered that kit.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

That's a nice looking kit. I really like natural finishes.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Yea if I can find a local store im gonna go play the ddrum but I think thats what I want. Thanks guys

User Info Menu

Remember to post pics when you get the one you want........dont forget the rules, "pictures or it really didnt happen"..............LOL
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Remember to post pics when you get the one you want........dont forget the rules, "pictures or it really didnt happen"..............LOL
    So what you are saying is Drummer is not real and not happening now I get it lol

ThePloughman Guest

Buy Something USED.

Thats what I did.

User Info Menu

Show off!

Around me finding "steals" is tough. Too buyers out there in a large market for people to be so desperate maybe.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Buy Something USED.

Thats what I did.

Now THAT'S an awesome find Ploughman, but then, that's what you do!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ugh just hit the mother load. I found the kit with a 24x20 instead of a 22 in the finish I want for........................ $575! Either gonna order this friday when I get my pay check or itll have to wait another 2 weeks from then! Im super excited haha. Just thought I'd share

User Info Menu

Dont narrow it down before looking, look before narrowing it down! You dont want to jump the gun and miss out on a kit you might prefer. Even though you are keen on Maple/Ash, you should check out other types of wood or even material. For example, the way one brand makes a birch shell may have pushed you away from that wood, but you could come across a different brand that makes a birch shell completely different - you might LOVE that sound!

I was set on getting a certain crash at one point but i accidentally hit another one whilst in the store, and i ended up preferring and buying the one i accidentally hit!!! You never know what you may come across.

Good luck, i hope you are happy with whatever purchase you end up making

ThePloughman Guest

In this economy, you need to be especially careful WHO you send money. Just because someone talks a fine talk and has a decently laid out webpage is no indication they will be able to deliver in six weeks like promised. Be sure you are dealing with a reputable person when it comes to the boutique custom market.