Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: few questions.

User Info Menu

Default Re: few questions.

i already have audacity and cubase is on it's way should have it in the next day or two.. but i have no clue how to use the software. when i loaded up an audio recording(WAV) from my digital camera onto the computer, and then loaded it into audacity to modify it i got nothing but static beeping noises for 1 or 2 seconds. i downloaded LAME encoder, and LADSE plugins, even the VST bridge enabler but still i'm basically hearing radio static where my track should be. i dunno what i did wrong, maybe audacity doesn't work for me or whatever.. im just hoping that when i have cubase it will give me an accurately translated recording. it plays on my computer, why would a program ruin it like that?

also regarding interfaces.. can i go mics-mixer-interface-computer? ideally i'd like to keep my existing number of inputs on the mixer but still have it capable of computer recording through the interface. is this asking too much or do i absolutely have to settle for the input maximum that the interface provides? it's really important to me to have those other inputs for later because i will be needing them for when i close-mic the drums, or play with people. i just really don't wanna lose the expansion possibilities, especially considering the channels all work correctly. it seems a waste to scale down like that cause the computer won't accept the analog signal. i just think there's gotta be a way i can use the mixer too.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-06-2010 at 02:32 AM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

There is always a way russ. If you want multiple channels in your software then you are limited to the number of channels on your A/D interface. The digi002/003 has 8 inputs and then with a light pipe and an ADAT you can add another 8 with a total of 16 not counting the spdf giving another two for a total of 18, but you are gonna pay for it. the mbox pro has 8 inputs (6 instrument line ins and two xlr). Presonus has similar devices. Look on ebay, you can find great deals on this equipment used. I would think 8 inputs would do pretty well. Lets see, overheads which are two mics will be bussed to a stereo channel and that would be one input. the snare= 2nd input, bass=3rd input, 3 toms= three mic's bussed to one input on your board with one input used= 4 inputs. That leaves you with 5 open inputs on the A/D interface to direct line in with bass guitar, lead guitar and vocals, or you can run the instruments and vocals into the mackie 24 and then to your computer with the analog eq and fading before you hit the computer and do it in the box. You see, you have got a board with 24 inputs. Use that bad boy to do a lot of the mixing and bussing before it hits the computer.

Now about your software. I know nothing of audacity as I use Pro tools, but make sure that the music is a WAV file. if it is usually any other file it won't work. Take that with a grain of salt as I really no zero about audacity.

User Info Menu

Oh, and I was not clear.
    YES!!!!!!! Go mixer- A/D interface device- computer.

User Info Menu

alright.. so i need a converter? does this look about right for changing the signal to digital from mixer to computer? it's called the m audio delta 66(i think it's a sound card or something?). saw a good deal on it, just wondered if im thinking at all in the right direction. my goal is to use the mackie for mic inputs, but make it able to computer record. would this get me there?

I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Russ, had to look it up. Yes it will work. Remember you get 4 inputs with this system trs and 2 spdif.

I would post a diagram of how it hooks up I found on the m-audio site for you, but it appears I am not allowed to upload an attachment on this thread. weird. Moderators?

Here is the link to the diagram. It is on the right of the screen with the title connectivity.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta66.html

User Info Menu

okay so technically i can use just one input from mixer through delta to computer and i can use the inputs on my mixer for microphones? are the inputs on the device just for connecting analog devices to the computer, and not for mics?

also, can you tell me a little bit about the ups and downs of different types of interfaces?(usb, firewire, pci, etc) the m audio sounds really great and all, but it looks like i have to take apart my computer to get it installed- not loving that. i wanna understand about them before i pick one for definite sure.
    Last edited by Russ; 02-07-2010 at 08:18 AM.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments