Thread: Mapex Meridian Maple vs. Pearl Masters vs. ???

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Meridian Maple vs. Pearl Masters vs. ???

Hi guys this is my first post!

#1-- Can you tell much of a difference sound-wise between the Mapex Meridian Maple and a Pearl Masters Maple?

I played a Masters on stage in an auditorium (not mic'ed) and I REALLY liked it. Mapex also makes a 6ply Maple kit in the same size and it's about half the price. Do you think the Pearl sounds noticeably better?

#2-- I can't decide what SIZE to get them in. I had a Yamaha stage custom for about 10 years, which I liked but it was too big to gig. It was a standard 12, 13, 14 snare, 16, 22" config. I want to either go with a 10,12,14, 14 SN, 20" setup OR possibly something even smaller, like:

18x 14 bass, 12, 14, 14 snare.

As far as the sound I'm sure the bigger bass will sound better but I'd like to keep this kit relatively quiet so I'm torn.

I have my electronic kit to practice on, and I love it, but I'm starting to miss the feel of real drums. Finally if you can think of other options I'm all ears!

Budget: under $2,000 for shells only, maple, relatively small and portable. used is fine too

THANKS!

-- Jeff
    Set: Roland TD-12
    *currently looking for an acoustic set*

14" HHX groove hats, 16" HH crash, 20" K ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Meridian Maple vs. Pearl Masters vs. ???

You can get the Mapex for well under $1000. Not as good as the Masters, but A LOT of bang for the buck. I have the Meridian Maple in the Manhattan sizes and it is awesome. 18" kick, 12" tom and 14" floor tom. Less than $700 for the shell pack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    You can get the Mapex for well under $1000. Not as good as the Masters, but A LOT of bang for the buck. I have the Meridian Maple in the Manhattan sizes and it is awesome. 18" kick, 12" tom and 14" floor tom. Less than $700 for the shell pack.
    That's one sweet looking little kit you've got there!
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

Here is my suggestion. I sat down behind two kits at Guitar Center the other day. A Pearl Masters 6 piece kit. 22/10/12/14/16. The other being a PDP Platinum Maple in the same configuration. I loved the PDP. Hands down the better set. The toms had Vintage Coated Emperors and gave off a great tone. Very pure, awesome low end on the dual floor toms. The high toms just sang without having too much unneeded resonance. The Pearl's sound was NOTHING compared to this beauty.

Price difference?
    Pearl Masters-$1500 or so
    PDP Platinum-$950... I almost bought it on the spot. But, I didn't even have close to that much money and my parents would have killed me...

All in all, GET A PDP PLATINUM for an outstanding maple shell pack. The hype is true, its just like a true DW.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

don't forget about the sonor 3007!! toms sound great bass is nice and snare is not bad ! you might want to think about vintage sets, they are out there for a deal and then you will have something special !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

I second the comment about the SONOR 3007. I love mine as much as I love my MAPEX. (I am such a two-timer...and I love it!)

User Info Menu

For a $2,000 budget, you can get pretty much anything if you go used, except really high-end kits. New, you can still get all sorts of professional quality drums. Mapex Saturns, Pearl Masters, Ludwig Centennials, Gretsch Renowns, etc., are all fantastic kits that can be had new for under $2k, and they're all maple kits like you said, except the Saturns are maple/walnut.

Like people have mentioned, there are also tons of fantastic mid-level maple kits you can buy like Sonor 3007's, Gretsch Catalinas, Mapex Meridians, etc. I went through this process a few months ago (except I was looking at only mid-level kits), and I went with the Tama Superstars. But had I chosen to get a maple kit, I definitely would have gone with the Meridians, hands down. If you've played on them and you know you love the sound, then go ahead and get them....they're awesome drums!

I also agree with Mr. Tama. I played on a set of Platinums once and I was totally blown away.
    Matt

User Info Menu

mapex meridian start less costly, and stay within that range. they are a high quality set of drums priced for most anyone to afford. they are also lighter weight due to no die cast so you won't kill your back hauling gig to gig, use a less bulky mounting system, more finishes, 100% birch or maple, floor tom legs with springs to catch vibrations better, a combination double tom holder/cymbal arm mount,(very handy piece of hardware in my opinion) the option of having virgin or non virgin bass, 10 lug snare for more tuning range, backed by excellent customer service and warranty, and the thin shelled maple just sounds as awesome as it gets man. did i mention they also come with pinstripes and ambassadors?(standard stock heads but still pretty good sounding, watch the glen sobel video) for the amount that you pay, without a doubt no better kit in the price range period. a 5 piece birch is less than a tama superstar, it's a no brainer.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

thanks for the replies guys I am currently looking into the other kits mentioned... it sure would help to play them though lol.

I have to figure out what I want. I just read the drum tuning bible (http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html) and that has helped me understand a lot and refresh my memory about some things.

hmm...
    Set: Roland TD-12
    *currently looking for an acoustic set*

14" HHX groove hats, 16" HH crash, 20" K ride

User Info Menu

My opinion, go vintage! You'll have a great sounding, cool looking kit and at the end of the day you'll have a kit that will still be worth at least what you payed for it.