Thread: Mixer and micing drums

Larrysperf Guest

Default Mixer and micing drums

Ok so I finally got my mixer right and all my mics and cables ( cables get to be to much )So I get them all set up and start hitting to get the mix right levels then I start to Play and all I can say is WOW. I cant believe how much better they sound and how much more fun it is to play. I have it set up so music and drums all go threw my head phones
    Now back to cables. The cables you have to get is amazing 1 for in 1 for out cable here cable there, 1more to add cd player sorry 2 more. Then if you want to hook up to computer 2 more. But in the end for me it is worth it just for the sound and what you can do with the right mixer.
    I will let you know as I go along what is worth it and what is not. Also dont cheap out on cables, as if you get cheap you loose some of the signal and it will effect the sound. Ok hope this helps or is of some interest to you all.
    I also want to add the zoom 3 will do most of this and the sound you end up with is also very good just cant control like a mixer can.
    I will post some pictures later to thread. Please leave coments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mixer and micing drums

How about some audio to go with the pics?

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    How about some audio to go with the pics?
    Working on that
    Wife wont let me take computer out of den as I got her hooked on video games lol so have to take 1 from sitting room

User Info Menu

what kind of mics did you get? mikes and mixers and stuff can make a huge difference in your sound.
    the company that does our sound,uses a huge system . they use shure s m 57s on my snare and toms ,a shure beta 52?? i think thats right, on my bass, and akg condenser mikes for my hihat and cymbals, but the real action happens back at the sound board,just for my drums they use 4 ,31 band eq's,noise gates,compressors,limiters sound processors.. i dont even know what most of that stuff does, but lucky for me ,,, they do . its amazing what a person that knows whats up with that stuff can do.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    what kind of mics did you get? mikes and mixers and stuff can make a huge difference in your sound.
    the company that does our sound,uses a huge system . they use shure s m 57s on my snare and toms ,a shure beta 52?? i think thats right, on my bass, and akg condenser mikes for my hihat and cymbals, but the real action happens back at the sound board,just for my drums they use 4 ,31 band eq's,noise gates,compressors,limiters sound processors.. i dont even know what most of that stuff does, but lucky for me ,,, they do . its amazing what a person that knows whats up with that stuff can do.
    My snare and toms are shure s57 and my kick is this big shure lol and overhead is condenser lol

User Info Menu

your gonna love the 57s they sound great and are tough as nails. is the bass mic kind of football shaped ,with a screen on 1 side ,and a heavier kind of screen on the other ?

User Info Menu

i demand a video
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

cool larry, sounds like the kick is a b52. what condensor mic did u go with? Definatley go with good cables, Im recording some tracks today for a country guy and I just discovered a busted xlr, the only spare I have is xlr to 1/4 inch and it is sooooo much weaker single than my others.
    enjoy bud.look forward to hearing ya again.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    cool larry, sounds like the kick is a b52. what condensor mic did u go with? Definatley go with good cables, Im recording some tracks today for a country guy and I just discovered a busted xlr, the only spare I have is xlr to 1/4 inch and it is sooooo much weaker single than my others.
    enjoy bud.look forward to hearing ya again.
    Yea I learned the hard way got all 1/4 first to learn you loose 60 to 70 % of signal so had to get XLR but Im learning and having fun. Spent this morning hooking up computer. The kick is beta 52 something lol