Thread: Restoring Drums.

User Info Menu

Default Restoring Drums.

Hey,
    I have just begun to restore an old drum set i received for free. I have never owned a kit before and I dont really have the money to buy one so i thought i would try this out. So far i have stripped down the shells, taken off the wrap and all the ****ty rusted hardware and the only thing i can really keep is the lugs. I have a friend of mine that has this **** old $500 kit that he doesn't want. My question is, if i use the hardware from his **** kit will it affect the overall drum sound? im planning to fork out money for really good heads.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Restoring Drums.

Welcome to Drum Chat Michael!

You may have noticed that the autocensor did it's job on a word that you used several times. Please keep in mind that Drum Chat is a family friendly site, so we watch our language here.

The problem with answering your question about using the hardware from your friend's kit is that we don't have enough specific information to know whether the hardware from your friend's kit is worth it, or not. If you have any pictures, it would be very helpful in giving us more information so we can be of real help.

Again, welcome.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pictures would be a good thing as PB stated, but without actually seeing what youre talking about Im just gonna toss out some general stuff.........Depending on what hardware you may need, some of it might match up and some may not.

In the case of it not matching, you would need to drill new holes which will take away the value of what you have. As far as mixing the hardware it will have no real affect on the sound of the drums.

Hope this helps you out. As PB already said this is family friendly so keep an eye on what you type and welcome to the board. If you have any other questions just let us know, someone here is always willing to lend a hand.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

ThePloughman Guest

Your drumset was extremely valuable, needed only minor restoration, and would have sold for Thousands at auction.

Thats about the worst it can be for you at this point.

Post some pics.