Thread: New drumskins

User Info Menu

Default New drumskins

It's been a while since I last posted, since I've been lurking around mostly :P. Anyway, I need your help once again!
    I haven't used my kit that much yet, but I'm really looking forward to replacing the stock heads, yet still I'm not sure which heads I should go for. There's a nice online shop where I can order them here in Romania, and they have quite a few varieties, but I'm not quite sure which ones would sound best for me.

Remo Ambassador Clear
    Remo Ambassador Coated
    Remo Ambassador Ebony
    Remo Ambassador Hazy
    Remo Ambassador Suede
    Remo Diplomat Smooth White
    Remo Fiberskin
    Remo Pinstripe Clear
    Remo Pinstripe Ebony

are half of what they have on there (and around the price I'm looking for at the moment, I don't need anything real fancy yet). I want to replace the skins on my Snare, Floor Tom and the other Tom (which I keep mounted on my bass drum). I'll be trying to learn rock music mostly, so I'm looking for a sound suited for that style, but all the heads look so much alike :(.

I know it's a bit unclear what I'm looking for, but I hope someone will give me a few tips as to what I should get.

Once again, thanks in advance, and keep on drumming

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drumskins

For rock you'd be best off with a double-ply head. Out of the ones you listed, I would go with the Pinstripe because it's design to be tuned low and to give that thick deep rock sound. Now, I have had pinstripes on my kit before and they have an incredibly prominent plasticy stick sound when you hit them, which some people may not like.

For more resonance, you can look at regular double-ply heads (as opposed to muffled heads like the Pinstripes) like Remo Emperors. Coated heads will have less plasticy sound.
    Matt

User Info Menu

First of all, thanks for the REAL fast response .

Well I'm not sure about the plasticky sound on the pinstripe (can't say exactly if I like it or not, I'll have to look around and check it out. If not, I'll take a few Remo Emperors and use thoser .

Also, should I only just replace the batter heads, and keep the resonant ones, or replace them as well?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Razzinnator View Post
    First of all, thanks for the REAL fast response .

Well I'm not sure about the plasticky sound on the pinstripe (can't say exactly if I like it or not, I'll have to look around and check it out. If not, I'll take a few Remo Emperors and use thoser .

Also, should I only just replace the batter heads, and keep the resonant ones, or replace them as well?
    I think it's OK to keep the stock resonant heads for awhile. I've heard people say you should replace them every 2-3 times you change batter heads.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Oh, in that case they'll stay. That leaves me deciding between Pinstripe and Emperors, and I'll probably order in a couple of days or so.
    Thanks for the fast answers, cleared it up a bit for me .

User Info Menu

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqbYB61ClE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqbYB61ClE[/ame]
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Oh, never really thought about looking for that .
    Well I've made up my mind, I'll get a few Emperors for my toms, and after a bit of looking around, probably a Powerstroke 3 or a Coated Emperor X for my snare.

If all goes well I'll be bashing on them in just a few days from now

Thanks

User Info Menu

I Agree with most of he above. I just put a set of emporer coated skins on my nu kit, and they sound great, nice and heavy rock, and for the snare, u should look into emporer Control sounds with a black or White dot, because they give a really nice sharp and powerful sound to the snare. Enjoii