Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drumming and boots

User Info Menu

Default Drumming and boots

Hello, I have two questions: Do any of you play country and western music like maybe in a band? And do you prefer tennis shoes or boots?

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming and boots

Not into country. Bare feet. Can't imagine playing in pointy cowboy boots, though.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

In my band we don't exclude any genres from our jams, sometimes we just goof around and go from dance music to heavy metal to weird noises, its great. Country is rare but we do sometimes.

I prefer to play with just socks, although I often forget to take them off out of excitement to play.

User Info Menu

I play in tactical cop boots alot, when playing it doesn't really make a difference to me.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

I always play barefoot. Especially when it is the summer, the cool feel of the metal pedals is awesome. I have played in flip flops, running shoes, and winter boots. I hated winter boots. no personal feel and connection with the set.
    6 Piece Pearl Masters Custom Extra Maple
    14x5.5 Snare
    10x8 Tom
    12x9 Tom
    14x12 Floor Tom
    15x13 Floor Tom
    22x16 Bass Drum

Miscellaneous Hardware
    14 inch Zildjian Quick Beats
    16 inch Istanbul Xist Crash
    20 inch Meinl HCS ride.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    I play in tactical cop boots alot, when playing it doesn't really make a difference to me.
    Same.

User Info Menu

ive seen many ,many bands , but i never remember seeing any drummer playing in cowboy boots . id never do it, but it might work for you , ya never know for sure until you try it.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Not boots, but sometimes I like playing in heavy shoes, I get more power out of them I think.
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

i play country... i'm always wearing cowboy boots. i wear them all day at work and most of the time everywhere else that will allow it, but i can't play in them for long. sometimes i'll start a set with them on but i always end up taking them off.

User Info Menu

I play in chucks. I guess you could do it if it was down-tempo enough, but I can't imagine that it would be comfortable. Just go up on stage, and then take them.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Back in the 80's when some of the bands I listened to were wearing the leather pants, ripped jeans and spandex along with the make-up, many of them had "cowboy" style boots. So, I played with very soft cowboy style boots, the ones with the steel toe and steel heal and had the buckle with chains across the top and a slouch upper... my gosh what was I ever thinking Now I have a nice pair of slip on shoes by ALDO and the ole is nice and smooth for sliding across the pedals.

People wear what they want but I can't imagine playing in boots or anything stiff, clunky and heavy.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

many years ago i played in the "pointy" cowboy boots...but one night before a gig, I accidentally stubbed my big toe on my right foot and broke the darned thing...i put the boot on and lasted out the night...the next day, i bought a pair of Converse tennis shoes...never went back to the boots. now i play in a pair of "beetle-boots" ...very soft leather...half tops and slick leather soles. works great
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I've played a ton of country in my time, but never did the boots (or hat) thing. Just way to cliche' for me. I'll drum in just about anything. Being a tropical place here, very light foot wear is standard any way. Clogs, flips, slippers, boat shoes etc...

all the best...

User Info Menu

Square toe boots. No problems at all.

User Info Menu

When I was in the Army band we played in stiff leather combat boots all the time. You get used to it like anything.

User Info Menu

I play (gig) in sneakers most nights. But...I also have harness boots that I wear quite often usually in the cooler months. Sometimes I need to wear dress shoes because of a corporate event or such. (need to look nice).

I tell all my students to be able to drum in different styles of footwear. It may not seem like a big deal when your young - but if you want to be a "working" drummer in a group someday..it's something you'll most likely need to be able to do.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Played in country bands. Always preferred sneakers or boot shoes -- Shoes that look like boots with the jeans down
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

We play lots of country music, I play barefoot. When the chill sets in I wear chucks.

User Info Menu

when somebody asks me "what kind of music do you guys play?" i tell them "both kinds, country AND western"

User Info Menu

i played in my steel toed workboots once. it went bad.
    much respect for those that can

User Info Menu

I prefer tennis shoes but boots look cooler when playing lol

User Info Menu

Holy thread revival!

I play in whatever is on my feet at the time..........that being said.........I wouldn't use real heavy workboots, but everything else seems to work fine

User Info Menu

I say whatever the shoe fits. Drummerboy60 where have you been. Long time no see if you are reading this post.

User Info Menu

I consider myself to be a fairly technical when it comes to playing the kick drum. I'm currently playing in a country band. I prefer to play in my chucks if we are playing four sets. If we are playing a shorter set I don't mind playing in my "broken in" boots. Country isn't super complex when it comes to the kick patterns. Its usually a four to the floor.

User Info Menu

I strongly believe clothing and foot wear should not be an issue at all in drumming. You aren't going to be dressed the same at a beach party as you would be playing something super formal like say a party at the Whitehouse! I say just concentrate on drumming well and don't think about what's on your feet.

all the best...