Thread: ugh, it's always somethin

User Info Menu

Default ugh, it's always somethin

So I called our rhythm guitarist today to see if he could make band practice tonight, he says "probably not, gotta work late and wont be finished till about 7:30". it's about a 45 min drive to my house so by the time he gets here it'll be too late, no big deal. But then he says "I gotta talk to ya too,I got bad news"
    I thought maybe he was going to say he quit but he says "man, I gotta go to pompano beach for a couple months for work, either that or I'll be getting laid off. It sucks but I have to do it"

Bummed me right out, I'll talk to him later tonight and let him know we'll hold his spot in the band but it just sucks. get 2 steps forward and next thing you know you're 5 steps back and dead in the water again.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Default Re: ugh, it's always somethin

This is the very reason I stopped playing for that classic rock band I was in. 9 practices and only 2 with a bass player. I have tried to get it going with three bands since then and it keeps coming up. I have to admitt my guilt as being the one to keep cancelling with the last group, Life just kept getting in the way. F/T

User Info Menu

I feel your pain. My guitarist (and very good friend) of six years recently moved across the country. What can you really do except wish them the best of luck?

User Info Menu

3pc FTW!!

User Info Menu

That's why some musicians suffer what is commonly known as "Band Burnout". Dealing with the ego trips, the quitters, the flakes, the turn me up *******s, the drugies, the alchoholics, the thieves, the girlfriends, the wives, all of it can eventually make you want to stay at home and play along with your CD collection forever! But we all know it never is as good as getting out and doing your thing in public. That's why some guys make it and some don't. The advantage drummers have over the rest of the band is that we can take out our frustrations on the drums man! Hit em' and smile.

MAPEX - Orion Classic Series / Transparent Diamond Blue
    ROLAND - TD-8, PD-9's, PD-7's
    GIBRALTAR - Rack system
    IRON COBRA - Double pedals
    ZILDJIAN - Custom Z's, Custom A's
    EVANS - Hydraulic heads
    El Cheapo - sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomtomkick View Post
    That's why some musicians suffer what is commonly known as "Band Burnout". Dealing with the ego trips, the quitters, the flakes, the turn me up *******s, the drugies, the alchoholics, the thieves, the girlfriends, the wives, all of it can eventually make you want to stay at home and play along with your CD collection forever! But we all know it never is as good as getting out and doing your thing in public. That's why some guys make it and some don't. The advantage drummers have over the rest of the band is that we can take out our frustrations on the drums man! Hit em' and smile.
    Yup, I believe you covered all the base's I've seen them all also. Sometimes a good long lasting team is hard to find, never give up, move on the the next, you'll only grow...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

obviously you have the passion and you want it to work. just keep going dude, you cant stop your bus because of a speed bump!

User Info Menu

speed bump? lol bro I ran over a rumble strip. I wont quit you probably know that.
    I have 4 guitarists lined up, one that contacted me today said " I've been playing music for about 35 years. I've been guitarist in several bands. I love the stage and interacting with the crowd, or I can spend hours in the studio. I may be 49 years old, but I feel like 29.
    Yes, I enjoy metal and hard rock, but I can play everything from country to hip-hop. All I need is a song list and 24 hours to get it down.

I have all professional equipment, mainly Carvin products. I also have a nice recording/mastering set-up, and a full P.A. system as well."

theres always light at the end of the tunnel.

http://bipolarbarbierocks.com

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Quit belly aching and just do it...no other way.
    - RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Bands are a great way to get back some of that high school drama. Tensions, betrayals, you name it.