Thread: Flats Drums

User Info Menu

Default Flats Drums

so im interested to hear you guys opinions on these...i just recently discovered them on youtube...then googled them..there so strange to me.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo
    "drumming is about time and I'm still having a good time!"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Flats Drums

Link to the video?
    Matt

User Info Menu

of course yohin my bad lol...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyd31E6zOmY"]YouTube- FLAT DRUMS DEMO[/ame]
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

they sound good, maybe they will get used by Rascal Flatts
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Purecussion was making sets like this years ago. If you watch the Rush in Rio DVD, you will see that Neil Peart travels with a set so he can warm up in almost any room. I found a set on CL a few months ago and I almost bought it as a novelty.

User Info Menu

This is probably stupid I know but I'm so confused as to how they get there tones...like w drums ur tuning top.and bottom heads, sizes of shell and type of woods affect the overall sound....how is it done with those?
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

I wasn't terribly impressed with how they sound. In particular, the kick sounded awful. I could see it being a decent practice or warm up kit. I guess I also like drums to look like, well, drums.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

They have too much attack and not enough tone.
    Matt

User Info Menu

I'd have to reserve judgment until I heard them "up close, and personal" (that seemed appropriate because that phrase came from ABC television network's coverage of the Olympics ) When I watch a video, I know that the sound can be manipulated. The only way to know for sure what they sound like is to hear them in person. I would think that there would be a loss of some tone, and sustain. I think someone to ask about this is PHROGGE, because he plays a Pearl Traveller kit.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I have a lot of experience with these. I use to practice with them all the time. As Yohin said, they have a lot of attack and little tone. They're not as practical for band situations unless you could mic them up with a lot of effects, but they still probably wouldn't feel that great. I always used my real snare and cymbals.

Years ago they were Purecussion, then they were Arbiter Flatts (I think mostly in the UK) and now there is Traps drums. Different companies, very similar product. I've heard Traps improved on the overall design and took it to another level.

User Info Menu

Hmmm very interesting you guys.
    Zildjian-Gretsch-Remo

User Info Menu

I don't judge sound on video. I mean I have heard dw's sound like cardboard boxes too. You have to really check drums out for yourself in person. I thought they might be great as a starting point for a triggered set. I bet very compact to haul.

allt he best...

User Info Menu

They basically have the tonality of Rototoms without the tuning adjustment feature. To me, playing one years ago, the kick is by far the weakest link.

dave0549jv Guest

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hN93i7E3g&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63hN93i7E3g&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

This set doesnt sound half bad to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by little_a View Post
    so im interested to hear you guys opinions on these...i just recently discovered them on youtube...then googled them..there so strange to me.
    Girly:
    They sound just like Roto Toms, only tuned like a regular drum. Where roto's you can spin them to tune or spin them for a funky sound as your playing it. I had seen years ago on tv where the drummer of a rock group used roto's for his whole set.

Basically a drum is a drum and *it doesn't even have to be a drum. *Your the master of what your doing with the sticks and the creator of the sound you want/need to project, if you have that ability and it's on the money along with the music and sounds good with it you've mastered it. Music is like a painting, you can't get every brush stroke and color the same when you copy it. So you do it with finesse and be as close as you can to perfect then only the highly trained eye/ear will know the exact difference.

Hey Girly I just remembered that youtube clip you put in the chat box not long ago of the mid-evil group. Was it maybe Wine & Anarchy that did Kashmir? Those guys/girls are truly masters, they do it with what they have and own it as mush as Led Zeppelin maybe even more then Zeppelin did...
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...