Thread: Proper Cymbal Technique

User Info Menu

Default Proper Cymbal Technique

Hey everyone, you might remember my last cymbal thread; I got used A customs and cracked them the first week.

I was just wondering (now that I'm emotionally sound again) what is your view on proper technique when playing cymbals. Mainly things like: how glancing is your blow? (I think I overdo it a bit, I start out on the cymbal and end up on a tom) How do you ride a crash or your ride with the shoulder of the stick?

And the bonus: How many cymbals have you broken? I've put cracks in 5.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Proper Cymbal Technique

I haven't broken a cymbal in 30 years, and never a quality cymbal.

No help here, sorry.

User Info Menu

Want to trade? Your way seems cheaper.

User Info Menu

HRA, I give you great credit for opening up this question. I know how it can seem that when a cymbal is cracked, the first advice is usually about the need to consider technique. That you would ask for thoughts on technique to improve your own is a very mature post.

Having said that, I can offer a couple of thoughts, although there are certainly more experienced drummers that can offer advice based on more extensive experience with their cymbals. I try very hard to strike with a slightly glancing movement, because it is the strike directly into a cymbal that can cause the damage. Also, my drum teacher tells me that drawing sound out of the drums and cymbals is more musical, so I am not looking to lock my wrist and strike into the cymbal. I try to keep my wrist flexible and allow the stick to bounce. Just my thoughts, and now I'll let others offer their thoughts. Oh, and I have not broken a cymbal in 3 years.

All the best to you HRA!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I agree with what PB said, and I'll add that striking a cymbal repeatedly with a glancing blow causes the cymbal to slowly rotate, so you don't always hit it in the same spot. This helps prevent the cracking also.
    Matt

User Info Menu

This is all very good advice. I will point out some more before someone else does because this is pretty common knowledge also. Angle your pies toward you at about 35 degree's. Not everybody does this, but I feel it facilitates the striking a glancing blow technique as you don't have to worry about getting above the cymbal, but can strike it in stride on your way to something else. Also very important, never over-tighten your wingnut, after you tighten it the cymbal should be able to still move up and down freely. Give them plenty of wiggle room. Lastly, what kind of sticks are you using? Heavy sticks like 2B's would increase the likelyhood of damage, but it really shouldn't really matter what stick your using. Good luck, sucks about your customs. Oh, I've never cracked a pie either.
    Last edited by wolvie56; 02-21-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: addsd stuff
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I use 5B and Joey Jordison sig. which is a pretty thin stick. I used to use pretty hefty sticks which is probably one of the reasons the cymbals that came with my drumset cracked.

The cracks in the A customs aren't that large, about an 8th of an inch long. I'm going to drill it as soon as I have the time.

User Info Menu

Another thing is that if you are a hard hitter use thinner cymbals, They give more and won't crack. But technique wise, Make sure to move your drumstick like your harry potter waving his wand. Not like voldemort.

User Info Menu

try to keep the tip of your stick as level with the cymbal as possible. when hitting the crash, after the impact, bring the stick to the side to lessen the pressure on the cymbal. btw did you get a warranty refund on your cymbals?
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

They were used. I checked the Zildjian site and all warranties are voided after cymbals are resold. They were as old as dirt anyway.

User Info Menu

Glancing blows are good. Another way to think about it is that you want to hit the cymbal, not some point 6 inches behind/below it. Get the stick on and off as quickly as possible. There are guys out there, Tommy Lee comes to mind, that look like they're beating the snot out of their cymbals but it's really very controlled.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I admit, I cracked a Zildjian ZBT 16" crash some years ago...and I think I have pretty decent technique, so it could have just been a bad cymbal.

I hope
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

I just switched to using rides as crashes lol. A 20in a custom med/ride and a 22in neal peart paragon lol. I love big cymbals.
    A set of Exports and paiste's
    Add My Band! www.myspace.com/setthesails0

Fullstop Guest

I've cracked plenty of the cheap sheet cymbals. It was over 7 years ago. I got a set of those new ZXT Titaniums. Mainly because I figured "Hey! If Travis Barker can wail on them, they can put up with my knocks!!!"

Wrong!

Now...after I grimed up the hi-hats and the ride they sounded pretty nice. I peeled the damn crash though.

Literally peeled it. when it cracked it straight up peeled up. I was pissed.

I stormed around talking so much trash it wasn't funny. Then I reviewed WHY it was cracked. It had to do with my technique. I wasn't glancing and the tilt was all wrong. I talked with my drum guy, whom I've come to get to know quite well. He told me that even though I've been playing since I was five years old, I had just got started on my own kits a couple/few years before, and in setting up the cymbal wrong, and I relearned the wrong technique.

He actually worked with me over the course of the day in between sales. At the end of the day, he took the ZXT Crash in and gave me my first High End. Zildjian Z Custom 18 inch crash.

I told him thank you, but I didn't have the money to pay for the rest of the balance for it. He said I did more than enough, making a lot of noise all day on the drumkits, because it brought a lot of people in that were curious and they ended up buying this or that.

I've never looked back. From high end cymbals, or from proper technique. If something is wrong, it is always the first thing I question. Coming back out of retirement, I'm out of condition. Playing was good up until a few rehearsals ago. I started getting thumb and forearm cramps. Technique. Gripping too hard. Hihat too far out of a natural position.

Drumming IS technique. In order to be a good drummer you not only have to learn proper technique but adapt it, and BECOME it.

User Info Menu

All of these sound like solid advice. I've only cracked one cymbal...an old Paiste RUDE 18 in. C/R. I now realize it was probably because i put mass duct tape under it to dampen it, and thus had to hit it harder to get a loud enough sound.

But since then not a crack...excluding my ZBT splash, which was like a piece of glass.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    This is all very good advice. I will point out some more before someone else does because this is pretty common knowledge also. Angle your pies toward you at about 35 degree's. Not everybody does this, but I feel it facilitates the striking a glancing blow technique as you don't have to worry about getting above the cymbal, but can strike it in stride on your way to something else. Also very important, never over-tighten your wingnut, after you tighten it the cymbal should be able to still move up and down freely. Give them plenty of wiggle room. Lastly, what kind of sticks are you using? Heavy sticks like 2B's would increase the likelyhood of damage, but it really shouldn't really matter what stick your using. Good luck, sucks about your customs. Oh, I've never cracked a pie either.
    +1 here

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY