Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which e kit is the best?

User Info Menu

Default which e kit is the best?

hi everyone! i am looking to get a used e-kit but not sure which direction to go. i have played the Roland TD-6,10,20. but not in a long while. of course i want the mesh pads. but what i really would like is the kit that will be the closest to the feel and stuff to an acoustic(trigger response). i want to use it for live stuff and my acoustic for recording, or vise versa. but that's what i would like help with. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha's or any other e-kits out there.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Default Re: which e kit is the best?

I am not a fan of mesh heads. The new Yamaha DTX900 has excellent heads, and the Yammie stuff is less expensive than the top of the line Roland.

I will let others comment on the Rolands.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Go roland if you want mesh heads, if you want any info on the yamaha DTXPlorer I own it. (the lowest end of ekit from yamaha)

-Ben

User Info Menu

If you must have mesh....then you're pretty much limited to roland, hart, pintech and the original DTXtreme RHP if you can find one (it didn't come w/ mesh..came with real heads originally....but you can convert it to mesh...that's what I have and did)....I've owned both major brands (roland and yamaha) and personally I prefer the drum sounds of yamaha modules (a little more realistic IMO)...especially the DTXtreme III module....also what are you looking to spend..cause that may limit your choices...
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 03-06-2010 at 06:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I dont have good advice if you are absolutely set on mesh,but i would strongly reccommend Yamaha cymbals and a DTXtreme III module
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Spot #68

In Soviet Russia,sticks break you!

User Info Menu

well i really don't have to have mesh heads. i was under the impression that they were the most realistic,but from how this sounds, Roland is overrated. i just want a kit that feels and sounds good. i did some reading on Yamaha and its not bad price wise. the money is not a big issue but it is a factor. i have a ton of money in my Yamaha acoustic kit, and don't want to be too skimpy on the e-kit. i like the idea of the realistic sounds of the module,and the "cheaper than Roland" stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum fusion View Post
    well i really don't have to have mesh heads. i was under the impression that they were the most realistic,but from how this sounds, Roland is overrated. i just want a kit that feels and sounds good. i did some reading on Yamaha and its not bad price wise. the money is not a big issue but it is a factor. i have a ton of money in my Yamaha acoustic kit, and don't want to be too skimpy on the e-kit. i like the idea of the realistic sounds of the module,and the "cheaper than Roland" stuff.
    If money is not too big an issue...look at the Yamaha DTX950K...it's the latest and greatest offering from Yamaha...the drum pads are made of a compound called TCS..textured cellular silicone...from what I've heard from people that tried them at NAMM 2010...they feel very realistic (to real drums) and also are very quiet (i.e., stick noise)....they should be in the stores late March/early April timeframe
    Last edited by scorch whammin; 05-19-2010 at 07:20 PM.

User Info Menu

Best? There really is no such thing. So many variables like what you want it for, how much you can afford, the best "feel" for you. The latter is somewhat answered by you wanting mesh. Do you want to purchase an entire kit or piece something together?

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse

User Info Menu

Yamaha module + Pintech drums =

User Info Menu

When it comes to e-kits, Roland is the Harley-Davidson, meaning it has respect throughout the industry and holds a good resale value. I put my kit together on e-bay and added my acoustic cymbals and I've used it live. I've had a lot of compliments on the sound and there are a lot of different kit options in the module. I didn't like the mesh pads so I went with the PD-9's and PD-7's. The only downfall to them is on the snare it's hard to get a good sounding single stroke roll. That may be because of my TD-8 module (which is an older unit). I use a pintech kick trigger which has been very reliable. It's all mounted on a Gibraltar rack. I've never played the Yamaha kit or any of the others so I can't comment on them. All the drummers in my area look at Roland as the standard in e-kits. Hope this helps a little.

MAPEX - Orion Classic Series / Transparent Diamond Blue
    ROLAND - TD-8, PD-9's, PD-7's
    GIBRALTAR - Rack system
    IRON COBRA - Double pedals
    ZILDJIAN - Custom Z's, Custom A's
    EVANS - Hydraulic heads
    El Cheapo - sticks

User Info Menu

hello,i m a fan of Roland's products too,but recently i have tried Jobeky drum and it s great,same sensation that my pd-125 but the Jobeky has a real drum look,it s cheaper and you can choose your wraps and lugs,i use a 12"x5" black pearl and i have ordered and other,i ll like to change all my pd85bk by jobeky 8"x5"

User Info Menu

If money aint an issue,take a look at the DTXtreme III Special or the DTX900 or 950.They are all cheaper than Rolands top of the line(TD-20),and IMHO sound better.
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Spot #68

In Soviet Russia,sticks break you!

User Info Menu

Gotta put my 2 cents worth in. Price is the key,how much do you have to spend ? I've owned a hart 64 pro , 2 yamaha sets , 5 roland and 3 DIY sets using roland module and cymbals ! Outta these For store bought sets the hart or td10 are the bomb ! For compactness , ease of transport and setup I'd say a td6 . But for the best all round looks feel and total coolness the DIY wins hands down ! I like mesh heads the rubber heads I have played were...well rubber. In all fairness I have not played the new yamaha so I can't say and I'm sure they are improving all the time I will say I am a big fan of yamaha drums in general !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

wow!! this is so much great info. this will help tremendously for my search for my personal e-kit. i just might look into the idea of building my own from parts, or maybe i don't really know now. but that's what i wanted, feedback to give me choices!!thanks a bunch guys.

User Info Menu

drum fusion- I'm putting together a "modern" ekit and I should have all of my pieces next week. I put quotes around the word modern because I had a low budget ekit back in the mid 80s when the kits first came out. As far as todays standards are concerned, ekits stand far better today than back in the 80s and much cheaper too.

Just to give you a ball park figure, I didn't buy the latest and greatest and money was a BIG concern for me since I sank most of my $ on acoustic kits. My goals for the ekit is to practice quitely, enjoy some different drum sounds and most importantly for me is to start collaborating with a friend who plays guitar and together with my TASCAM DP-02 8 track digital recorder, we can start laying down some orginal tunes played silently in his cramped apartment. The joy I'm about to experience is silent playing all inside the world of my TASCAM 8 track recorder.

I found these Yamaha DTXpress IV pads used for $542 US$

Which include the following:
    • 3 TP65 single-zone pads
    • TP100 3-zone snare pad with controller knob
    • PCY150S 3-zone ride
    • Cymbal pad
    • 130SC 3-zone cymbal pad
    • PCY130 single-zone cymbal pad
    • RHH130 stereo hi-hat
    • Controller
    • HH650 hi-hat stand

This will be mated to a used Yamaha DTXpressIII module I bought for $175 and I have spare Gilbraltar rack pieces to hold the pads and cymbals in place.

Again, this isn't the latest or the greatest but it will suit my needs until me and my buddy make our first hit record lol.

So just a tad over $600 US$, I pieced myself a kit.

Good luck on the build.
    Last edited by late8; 07-28-2015 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

wow!!!! that IS cheap! that's not a bad set up either. i will definitely look into doing that and just upgrade later. cool man!

User Info Menu

When shopping for a used drumkit, and this is especially true with electronic ones.. Make sure to set your budget limits and needs before shopping, that way you know exactly what you are able to have and don't spend money you don't have to. That said, I generally go by the "buy the best you can afford" rule with most gear. With used gear this isn't always reliable due to the condition. You would also do well to remember to go to a drum shop and try all the sets you're interested in, it's an excellent way to learn what feels right.

With E-Kits, it's probably just me being picky but I have never found "the perfect one" for me. The Alesis DM5 has 12 interchangeable inputs, very good value if you plan to expand or like to use different configurations than what you can get with another module. The downside is reports of sensitivity issues, but I would just as soon learn the settings or purchase their trigger i/o so I could battle this. They aren't as rugged as a Roland, but any gear treated well will last you many years. The Alesis is the most affordable out of this group IMO.

The Yamaha DTXplorer/DTXpress, as well as their upper level DTXtreme kits are fantastic for a few reasons. Rubber pads for a different, less bouncy feel than Roland or Hart's mesh design. The quality of sounds is impressive, and I found the hi-hat relatively simple to use.(a major selling point) Unfortunately, all of these series aside from DTXtreme limit you with your inputs- which won't be a factor if you prefer the setup their input configuration supports. Fairly priced too, and that's always a plus.

The Rolands are excellent, plenty of sounds and options to play around with. A real popular choice, they come with mesh or rubber pads depending on which model you get. The amount of inputs they give you is not bad, and they have nice connectivity options if you are interested in linking to other units or connecting to a computer. Some of them have some nice features, such as a metronome and a tuner so there will be lots of playing around with the settings and features to do. I own a td-7 module, and it is very rugged to have lasted me this long. Like the Alesis, it also has good add-on capabilities because of it's tmc-6 trigger converter optional add on unit.

Some things to keep in ask or research on this item when shopping:

1) Condition of wires, module, and included power supply?
    2) Price of item when it was new?(this isn't all that important as a guideline because used prices on gear can vary to different ranges)
    3) Features you are looking for in the set, and how responsive it is and feels when you're playing?
    4) Ease of use- Is this module hard to figure out, do you need a manual?
    5) Expandability- Are there add on trigger units available in case you decide to add onto it later, and what else will the module support?
    6) Availability of Parts- If something should break,(let's hope it doesn't) will it be easy enough to find replacements or something to add on.

Just a few things to consider, and happy shopping!
    Last edited by Russ; 03-13-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: major typo
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Unfortunately, all of these series aside from DTXplorer limit you with your inputs- which won't be a factor if you prefer the setup their input configuration supports. Fairly priced too, and that's always a plus.
    You actually have that backwards.....the DTXplorer limits you on inputs (to what pads came with kit), the DTXpress allows you to split inputs (dual zone to single) on toms (for adding extra voices/sounds), the DTXtreme has the most inputs on the market (of any brand)....16 inputs (1 of those is for hihat control) and all of them but one are multi zone (dual &/or triple zone)...so you can split some of those up if you so desire (to add even more sounds/voices)....the one zone that's not...is actually splittable also for double bass/kick drums....with 16 inputs (nothing split) you can build a setup like this....

Last edited by scorch whammin; 03-13-2010 at 09:59 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    You actually have that backwards.....the DTXplorer limits you on inputs (to what pads came with kit), the DTXpress allows you to split inputs (dual zone to single) on toms (for adding extra voices/sounds), the DTXtreme has the most inputs on the market (of any brand)....16 inputs (1 of those is for hihat control) and of them all but one are multi zone (dual &/or triple zone)...so you can split some of those up if you so desire (to add even more sounds/voices)....the one zone that's not...is actually splittable also for double bass/kick drums....with that many inputs you can build a setup like this....

That was my bad, thanks for catching it. I corrected it and it was what I meant to say. lack of sleep..
    love your kit by the way!
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
    You actually have that backwards.....the DTXplorer limits you on inputs (to what pads came with kit), the DTXpress allows you to split inputs (dual zone to single) on toms (for adding extra voices/sounds), the DTXtreme has the most inputs on the market (of any brand)....16 inputs (1 of those is for hihat control) and all of them but one are multi zone (dual &/or triple zone)...so you can split some of those up if you so desire (to add even more sounds/voices)....the one zone that's not...is actually splittable also for double bass/kick drums....with that many inputs you can build a setup like this....

nice set up!
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    love your kit by the way!
    Quote Originally Posted by drum'z View Post
    nice set up!
    Thanks for the comments Russ & drum'z...

User Info Menu

I see someone is cutting and pasting again.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    ?????...not quite sure what you mean??

User Info Menu

Sorry Scorch, it wasn't directed at you. The offending party knows full well.
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    Just my own experience/research into these products. Nothing is copied or pasted, and I can't see how it would look that way. If you would like to write another helpful and on the topic review, I would be interested to read your thoughts and comparisons on these kits.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments