Thread: Mics + Mixers

User Info Menu

Default Mics + Mixers

I was recently introduced to the term noob and feel that one could say I'm a 'recording noob'

My first question is: Is there a type of microphone that I can use (let's say 3 for example) to record my drums, and then later record some guitars and some vocals with? Are there any you recommend?

When recording I need a mixer right? I'm only familiar with the ones you plug straight into the computer, you know USB and Firewire. Do you recommend these? Or is the traditional (I don't know how they work, or if they have any special names) mixer better?

Thanks in advance

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Mics + Mixers

I have a Beringer mixer 1204 usb fx and think its great I use condenser mic for overheads, and dynamic for snare toms and bass shure 57 for snare
    58 for toms and have a cad 905 for bass hope this helps

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0294 View Post
    I was recently introduced to the term noob and feel that one could say I'm a 'recording noob'

My first question is: Is there a type of microphone that I can use (let's say 3 for example) to record my drums, and then later record some guitars and some vocals with? Are there any you recommend?

When recording I need a mixer right? I'm only familiar with the ones you plug straight into the computer, you know USB and Firewire. Do you recommend these? Or is the traditional (I don't know how they work, or if they have any special names) mixer better?

Thanks in advance
    I would say the most well rounded mic in your setup is your overheads/room mics. Depending on their proximity effect, you may need to set up at different locations in the room. You need phantom power to run them, so aim for a mixer with that feature built in. USB is a great feature in a mixer to have, if you buy a mixer without it you will have to get a signal converter or an interface to record to your computer. If you record with a computer you will need some type of software, which can be expensive unless it comes with an interface.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pr0294 View Post

Shure SM 57, all around good mic for most anything. Under $100 USD, too.
    Signature here

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Shure SM 57, all around good mic for most anything. Under $100 USD, too.
    Ditto

User Info Menu

audix i5, sm57. good all around mics.

Larrysperf Guest

Have replaced cad with shure bass mic shure beta

User Info Menu

Thanks again.
    I've been looking into the SM 57. It seems pretty good, but I was looking around the other day, and found some 'Joemeek' mics. They cost a bit more than the Sm's but I heard they were pretty good for single mic recordings. Has anyone tried these out? I also saw some sets of like 4 or 5 mics for like $200, but somewhere on here I read they're pretty bad. Are they really that bad?

User Info Menu

You won't be happy with a one mic recording get a set. I'd get a D series set then you'll have a kick mic and be able to mic bass cabs and the I-5 which can mic guitar cabs a set of large diaphram overheads for distant cab micing or any room micing you want. All thats left is a good vocal mic.
    Last edited by Cant Get Enough; 04-10-2010 at 10:56 PM.

User Info Menu

SM57 Microphone Behringer XENYX 1202 mixer for up to 4 mics

User Info Menu

I agree go with a set I use Shure PG series I am well pleased and I agree with the Xenyx 1202 recommendation and the Shure PG series mics are only $399.00 for a 6 piece set I hope this helps

User Info Menu

I have the Shure PG series as well, but the 4 piece (added another tom mic though) and they sound great at least live. For recording it might be nice to have the 2 overheads of the 6 piece, but you get the same other 4 mics.

The 4 piece, plus one, ends up being like $300+. I would definitely take a look at them for a reasonably priced solution.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The XENYX 1202 mixer can be found for under $100 and if your micing a kit do you really need more than 4 mics? I would think not in most cases.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
    The XENYX 1202 mixer can be found for under $100 and if your micing a kit do you really need more than 4 mics? I would think not in most cases.
    Depends. When I am recording, I use 12 mics. 1 mic for each tom, two overheads, two room mics, double mic my snare (Batter and reso), bass mic and sub kick mic.

Now can you get a great sound with 4 mics? sure, however remember it is a chain and the weakest link will dictate how good it sounds. If you use neuman over heads with a d6 bass mic and and an i5 for the snare going to an avalon preamp and then to an apogee converter then yeah it will sound unbelievable. Depends on how deep you want to go financially.

User Info Menu

Ok but the original poster asked about 3 mics so that is the info I provided. On the other hand if money is no object you could use 50 mics to mic out your set. The information I provided is geared toward people who have bottoms in their pockets and for the average Joe with a 4 or 5 piece kit you can get pretty nice results with 4 mics for a pretty good size hall or recording.