Thread: Are mics really needed for nightclub gigs?

User Info Menu

Question Are mics really needed for nightclub gigs?

This is similar to some other threads but most of them deal with recording. I just wonder if mikes are necessary in taverns/nightclubs-places never as big as, say, a school gym, never as crowded and never carpeted and usually dropped ceilings and the rest of the band is guitars playing thru small amps channeled into the local PA.
    During basement rehearsals the rest of the band asks me,"Dude, do you really need the drums to be louder?" But I think that playing out infects them with the need to be LOUD(as if they're normally subdued & quiet and nobody can hear them)!
    I watched a miked-up speed-metal band play before us in a medium sized club room(50' x 50'x 15')and I couldn't tell who was making the booming sounds: the bass player or the drummer's double bass.
    Is the type of music the big factor in all this live miking?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Are mics really needed for nightclub gigs?

IF your guitar players and obviously the vocals are going through the PA you should at least have your kick and snare in there too. If you have a vocal mic it will pick up a little of your set and cymbals but you definately need some presence in the sound system. Even small venues, just not as loud.

User Info Menu

Depends on the size of the room and how well your guitar players control thier volumes.

User Info Menu

Slinglander-
    You're absolutely right! A. The infection... B. I think at times
    there's an ego feed largely at work... It's exactly as Northern stated.
    If I've said it once, Been a MILLION times to guitar players... If you sound
    like crap at a decent level it'll sound like loud crap at a louder level..? I'm
    always amazed at how quick somebody will reach for the volume as a cure
    all, Instead of seeking a good tone at a decent volume. I have a monster P.A.
    personally and I tell some of these guys, We can do the battle of db... I will
    blow you outta the water and we've accomplished what..? A real fast track
    to hearing loss..? I have a gitman and he's always whinin' about, "I go off
    your snare, I can't hear it..." (Already some hearing loss there!) I just tell
    him, Look you need to reposition yourself, I'm about as stationary as it gets...
    Granted, People need to hear ya'. Now bare in mind anytime that fool gets
    near me, I CRACK my snare... He does everything he can to get away from
    me. Sheez, "I can't hear your snare." Duhhhhhhh-errrrrrrrr
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

i think that if the other players in the band are miced, yes you should be in the pa system ,, if the guitars are not miced, then you can get away without mics.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

If you mic nothing else, mic the kick drum.

User Info Menu

I would definately say the kick and snare, as has already been said. If for no other reason than clarity. These two seem to always disappear behind everything else, especially the kick, so they don't have to be a massive presence, but in there enough to ensure they are clear.

Cymabls rarley need ot be miced in my opinion - I even see allto fo cover badns in pubs etc... playing well above the legal db level and still no overheads for cymbals - it generally just isn't necassary.

Toms will depend on the style and level of playing for the rest of the band. A small venue, if your style isnt' really "loud" probably won't need it. Jst make sure they're tuned nice and you'd be fine I reckon.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I'd have to agree with Drummer. Unless the rest of the band is very quiet, there is definitely something added with mic's on the drums. Keep in mind, it's not about volume, but clarity, as cmwp said.

We recently started mic'ing my kit and running the guitars and vocals too through our new PA. We don't crank, but with everything in one mix I can play lighter and we can control levels better. Plus the drums just cut through better.

Here's an example of us with everything mic'd at a small bar with about 70-100 people there.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP2WWu1VfzE"]YouTube- Halfway to Sanity Surrender[/ame]

Now the guitars sound quiet on the vid, but that's because it's on the side and doesn't pic up all the stage volume.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Hey, Kaos...good job for the entire band.

Your snare is awesome!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Hey, Kaos...good job for the entire band.

Your snare is awesome!!
    Thanks Bish! The Tamas are being stored, but the snare is actually the Ludwig Epic I got for $99, with a Genera Dry on it. So far I've liked it more than any other snare I've had.

Been using the Yamaha TC's for shows, but still with that snare. I'm going to be gigging the Renowns, so we'll see how that snare does. I have vintage A's on the kit and I really like them except on the snare. I will probably throw another genera dry on it. If I can't get the sound I want it's back to the Ludwig.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The kit sounds awesome in that vid KO!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    If you mic nothing else, mic the kick drum.
    +1 I always mic the kick..
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Seems most agree to mic the kick...I suppose to compete evenly with the bass player.
    FYI: I've recently played on the street, and played 30 yrs. ago in a small outdoor stadium and in clubs with no mic's and nobody complained. Hard rock played all the time, too. Of course, I don't use tom mufflers, batter head "ring" deadeners, hydraulic heads or even blankets in the kick(why pay for all that sound and then kill it?)
    I remember in the 60's Cream & Blind Faith on stage had no kicks miced, neither did Hendrix, Soft Machine(yeah, I'm dating myself here)- outdoors, yet. And oh, yeah, the guitarists had walls of amps! And Walls of amps!I had no problem hearing the drums in any of those concerts...
    Last edited by slinglander; 03-30-2010 at 07:15 PM. Reason: add signature
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

+2 Kick Mic ALWAYS. Unless full blown sound tech, house sound, etc. nothing else needed except maybe 1 overhead just so the kit is in the mix. But you really have to mic the kick. Nothing like a solid beat coming through the subs!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    Slinglander-
    You're absolutely right! A. The infection... B. I think at times
    there's an ego feed largely at work... It's exactly as Northern stated.
    If I've said it once, Been a MILLION times to guitar players... If you sound
    like crap at a decent level it'll sound like loud crap at a louder level..? I'm
    always amazed at how quick somebody will reach for the volume as a cure
    all, Instead of seeking a good tone at a decent volume. I have a monster P.A.
    personally and I tell some of these guys, We can do the battle of db... I will
    blow you outta the water and we've accomplished what..? A real fast track
    to hearing loss..? I have a gitman and he's always whinin' about, "I go off
    your snare, I can't hear it..." (Already some hearing loss there!) I just tell
    him, Look you need to reposition yourself, I'm about as stationary as it gets...
    Granted, People need to hear ya'. Now bare in mind anytime that fool gets
    near me, I CRACK my snare... He does everything he can to get away from
    me. Sheez, "I can't hear your snare." Duhhhhhhh-errrrrrrrr
    This is the guitarist in me talking, but if your guitarists have valve amps (which is likely if you're gigging and they know tone) then they DO sound better loud. So if they sound like crap quiet they could very well sound spectacular louder.

That said, keeping an eye on your guitarist's volume knob is always a good idea! Although when I'm playing drums I find the bassist more of a problem in volume wars.

User Info Menu

+1, and welcome to Drum Chat professor science!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by professor science View Post
    This is the guitarist in me talking, but if your guitarists have valve amps (which is likely if you're gigging and they know tone) then they DO sound better loud.
    This is true. Tube amps definitely have a sweet spot. However, there are plenty of guitar players that use volume and gain to mask bad technique and tone.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

+3

i always find a bit of kick in the (drumfill) foldback gives me super powers

User Info Menu

I recently played a show with my band in a small hall. The sound guy they had insisted on micing my bass drum, he miced it way too loud and wouldnt turn it down so i had to play it lightly so that it didnt mask much of the other music. It was fun to give it a good pound a couple times though!
    14x6.5 Pearl Reference 20ply Snare
    3 Piece Yamaha Rock Tour Kit
    Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride
    Sabian AAX 18" Crash
    Sabian Vault 18" Crash
    Sabian AAX 14" Stage Hats

User Info Menu

most places have drum mics
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Always mike your entire kit, including the cases.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Always mike your entire kit, including the cases.
    lol... what a nut!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Seems most agree to mic the kick...I suppose to compete evenly with the bass player.
    Yes, but it gives the band a rounded "thump" that makes a world of difference in the overall sound. I've always thought of it like kids with a coloring book. You know how the best pictures are the ones where the kids trace the lines with a black crayon after they're through? It just really sets it apart. Similarly, mic'ing a bass does wonders to improving the overall drive of the band.

User Info Menu

+1 on always the kick
    TAMAHOLIC