Thread: Drum Suspension Systems

User Info Menu

Default Drum Suspension Systems

I am researching drum suspension systems for my 8 lug 15" & 16" concert toms.
    They don't have bottom hoops, or lugs so are lighter than most drums there size. The tom mounts on them are the clip on type. I want to use the Spaun double floor tom stand that has the L rods and a cymbal arm.
    I have been looking at the Gauger, Gibralter, Cannon, and Worldmax DSS systems.
    The DSS is the only one that makes one for a 15"tom that I could find.
    Pulse used to make a version but I can't find them for sale to check them out.
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these brands or recomendations. I have a stand that they work on but would really like to have a nice heavy duty stand to mount them on and the suspension system seems like the way to go without any drilling and able to use the L rods.
    Last edited by VIbes; 03-25-2010 at 09:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Suspension Systems

Bumping this thread due to the fact I am researching some isolation mounts as well.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Gauger RIMS. They are aluminum (lighter in weight) and have a lower profile/smaller mounting plate available. The tension rod holders are adjustable, meaning they can slide along the "arm" for a perfect fit. However, the deal breaker for me is that the logo is part of the tension rod holders... looks too busy for me... I just don't like it.

So now I am considering between the Gibraltar GTS and the Worldmax DSS systems. The Worldmax DSS seems to the the popular ones used for all the custom drum builders.

The pics between GTS and DSS seem to show that the DSS mounting plate is a little smaller. It's hard to tell and pics can be deceiving. Does anyone have first hand comparison experience? I would think anyone who builds/has custom drums would have some knowledge.

...Bueller??........Bueller??........Bueller??

User Info Menu

Maybe an iron rod(w/ legs) with mounting brackets clamped on would work.
    -Grampire
    Teams
    Pearl Pack
    Zildjian League
    Evans Empire
    Quote: Ratamycue- Fart, oh man I said a naughty
    RIP Frank
    Pearl Masterworks

User Info Menu

You won't find anything on your list that equals the results you will get from the Gauger products, IMO. If looks are your highest priority, then you have choices. If sonic results are the priority, then get the Gauger.

User Info Menu

Kickinit...greetings from Texas! Several things about the Gauger RIMS and the WorldMax DSS floor tom cradles...the Gauger RIMS are definitely lighter and look good but are a PITA to assemble the first time you put one together. Plus, if you buy the Gauger RIMS type, you still have to purchase legs and leg mounts unless you have them already. When I used to build, I had to add in legs and mounts to the cost. With the WorldMax DSS floor cradles, the legs and "mounts" are included in the kit. The only thing you need to be wary of is the small drum key screw that tightens the leg in place will strip out over time,but not in all cases, so be prepared to rethread or replace the leg holder. Here's a photo of a DSS cradle and the leg "brackets"...other than that, the DSS are excellent for the money. I used them on almost every kit I built. I would not hesitate to buy them again.[IMG]DSS_Basket[/IMG]

User Info Menu

The dss is going to be the easiest to get, of the brands you listed. I've heard the gauger's are by far the most solid from other owners, so they can easily support larger drums like you have mentioned. The thing to keep in mind though is lug count. Make sure the rim you choose supports the number of lugs that particular drum has, as well as the diameter of the hoop. Good luck.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I ended up going with the Cannon Suspenderz. They look just like the Gilbralter ones to me but not quite as pricey. I got the nice chrome heavy duty round Gilbralter mounts for them. Now they are rock solid.

User Info Menu

Wow, they look great! Both the mounts and the drums.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Bumping this thread due to the fact I am researching some isolation mounts as well.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Gauger RIMS. They are aluminum (lighter in weight) and have a lower profile/smaller mounting plate available. The tension rod holders are adjustable, meaning they can slide along the "arm" for a perfect fit. However, the deal breaker for me is that the logo is part of the tension rod holders... looks too busy for me... I just don't like it.

So now I am considering between the Gibraltar GTS and the Worldmax DSS systems. The Worldmax DSS seems to the the popular ones used for all the custom drum builders. [I thought Gauger Mounts were the way most custom outfits go- SJC, Noble & Cooley, Spaun, DW prior to STM... then again, there's a lot of smaller shops.]

The pics between GTS and DSS seem to show that the DSS mounting plate is a little smaller. It's hard to tell and pics can be deceiving. Does anyone have first hand comparison experience? I would think anyone who builds/has custom drums would have some knowledge.

...Bueller??........Bueller??........Bueller??
    I have the Gibraltar ones and don't regret it for a minute. The rubber inserts have a little bit of sliding room like the Gauger ones do to correctly fit the tension rods. The Gibraltar ones also had a small sticker, about the size of a postage stamp, that was very easy to remove. There was no other logos, good news for you since it sounds like you're going for as clean a look as possible.

An old friend of mine was trying to convince me that the welds on the Gibraltar were cleaner and larger than the ones on the Gauger, but it didn't seem to be much of a difference to my eye. The Gibraltar seemed a tick heavier.

I'm not too keen on Gauger's claim on his site [which has since been removed] that competing products cause the shell to go out of round, which to me sounded like a pile of deliberate misinformation. There is also talk of this on the Remo forum, just as an aside that I'm not hallucinating. His mounts are virtually identical, and there was no mention of the simple remedy to turn the drum periodically to evenly stress the shell. Now this scare-tactic testimonial, which was anonymous to begin with, has been purged from the site in favor of a few praising e-mails. I thought that was a bit odd.

I've never heard of Worldmax until this thread. They just don't have a presence in my next of the woods. But the Gibraltar ones I've been very satisfied with. Slapped my kit's worth together while watching TV one night. The pics on the Worldmax site I'm looking at just show the old Pearl-style mount adapters attached to the plate.
    Last edited by MrB; 01-21-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Looks really good Vibes! How strong is it? No tip overs? Is it stable?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Very Very stable with the 4 leg Tama floor stand. They don't move.
    Like I said, "Rock Solid". I am going to get another Cannon Suspension mount for my 8 lug 14" tom too. That stand can also raise up on one of the post so I can position the 14" tom like a mounted tom and the other as the floor tom. Lot's of variations. A regular 3 legged floor tom will tip over before these things will.
    I think the Suspenderz, Gilbralter, and Gauger are all made at the same place. They are all identical looking to me.?
    Last edited by VIbes; 01-21-2011 at 07:50 AM.