Thread: Problem with arm fatigue and cramping. Coming out of 3 years retirement...

Fullstop Guest

Default Problem with arm fatigue and cramping. Coming out of 3 years retirement...

I play with 7a sticks. Vic Firth 7aN to be precise. I actually used to play with Rock N's or 5bN. I used the 7a's as a quick fix one night when I forgot my stick bag and I fell in love.

I've had two shoulder surgeries. They tightened up the anterior, and then went in re-tightened the anterior and tightened the posterior. The sticks were just a little bit lighter and eased up on my shoulder aches when we played gigs. I believe a show is more than just playing the music, so I tend to get into it like any good musician and go monkey man on it.

Since my band has gotten back together, the first few practices were pretty good. However, I've started to get really bad fatigue and cramping in my forearm. I think I'm gripping my stick too much. I narrowed it down to my thumb actually.

I don't know why it's happening, I've played drums forever and just not had any problems with this. I'm currently looking into some Sex Wax or some dipped sticks to try.

I've tried forcing myself to relax but eventually I just start going back to square one. I either concentrate too much on keeping my hand loose and screw up, or I just cramp up.

I really want to fix this. It's really bothering me...mentally more than physically.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problem with arm fatigue and cramping. Coming out of 3 years retirement...

Yes, age is taking its toll.
    I play the same way-loose at he start, tight at the end.
    I've just recently had the same experience with arm cramps: already had the basic pain from carpal tunnel from yrs. of over-use of computer mice for drawing, so I figured it's a no-brainer! Lots of ice then heat and over-the-counter pain killers seems to work.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problem with arm fatigue and cramping. Coming out of 3 years retirement...

ive had that problem before , my thumb kept going numb ,so i would squeeze my stick harder ,and by squeezing harder,id get a cramp in my forearms. a terrible thing ... try a thicker stick,, and most important.... warm up and stretch those muscles well before you play , everytime.. and as if us drummers dont have enough to keep in mind . always remember to try to keep from clamping down on your stick with your thumb... hope this helps ,, good luck.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

You may even try a little pine tar on your sticks. Its not just for baseball players anymore! It helped me to use it a few times... Eased the mind.
    Play to win my friend, and make sure you see you won in the eyes of others not that of your own, then truly you've won...

User Info Menu

I always try to warm up like I did for drum line in hs for at least 5 minutes. Then stretch. Today I only had about 15 minutes to play so I skipped the warm up and 5 or so minutes my forearm was getting tight.

Fullstop Guest

I'm going to try stretching some more and maybe some grip wax. I really want to avoid going back up to 5's again, but it I have to..I have to...

Thanks for the input...and yeah..I'm getting old too :P

User Info Menu

Agree with bloodylipp--possible carpal tunnel syndrome aside (that needs specialized therapy), warm ups are key, and going through constant drills to bring back muscle endurance. Try working through some songs that require that you keep a fast, regular pace on hi hat, for instance. Don't push it too far, just until it you are experiencing the fatigue. Then, next day, maybe you can go a little further. Like any training, need to start over and build up if you've been absent from the routine for a while.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    ive had that problem before , my thumb kept going numb ,so i would squeeze my stick harder ,and by squeezing harder,id get a cramp in my forearms. a terrible thing ... try a thicker stick,, and most important.... warm up and stretch those muscles well before you play , everytime.. and as if us drummers dont have enough to keep in mind . always remember to try to keep from clamping down on your stick with your thumb... hope this helps ,, good luck.
    Interesting about the thumb stuff. I find I have tons of stress injury stuff from so much drumming (and keyboarding) over the years. I get weird pains right at my thumb joints, which I'm sure if from drumming.

Fullstop, as for forearm stuff, I think that's just conditioning. I would think either you are overtaxing the muscles trying to play too fast (for where you are now) or you are overworking them to hit hard. If it's the first, make sure get your wrists moving, that's what saves me. If it's the latter, 7A's are great, but I wonder if you would do better going to 5A's would give you more power without having to hit as hard.

Just some thoughts. As we get older, it's much more challenging to play fast without really concentrating on technique (Mohler, etc...).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Ive had the thumb problem as well, its 100% caused by gripping the stick too tight. This will also lead to the forearm fatigue b ecause when you squeeze with your thumb you are activating your radial muscles.

Try a stick that gives you a better grip, so you can loosen up your grip. Or loosen your grip and just make sure you have lots of spare sticks on hand. I drop sticks constantly, but I never miss a beat and my arms arent tired at the end of the ight

User Info Menu

I just put on ahead grip tape a couple days ago. I highly recommend it. I had to use a little super glue to make it really stay perfect.

User Info Menu

Lately I've been dropping sticks too! We were playing the cast party after Grease and my stick went flying! Luckily my son was there and grabbed it and gave it back to me LOL. Didn't have my stick bag handy.

I might try some tape, any kind of blister issues?

NR, which sticks with grip have you tried? Might pick up a pair or two.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I have very dry hands, so I use sticks that are heavily varnished. If you have very sweaty hands I would suggest naked or unfinished drumsticks as they wont get slippery when your hand sweats.
    Personally I wouldnt reccomend tape or dipped sticks to anybody, I find them to cause tons of blisters.

User Info Menu

tape and dipped sticks give me real bad blisters ,,, ive used gloves before ,they work pretty good .
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fullstop View Post
    I play with 7a sticks. Vic Firth 7aN to be precise. I actually used to play with Rock N's or 5bN. I used the 7a's as a quick fix one night when I forgot my stick bag and I fell in love.

I've had two shoulder surgeries. They tightened up the anterior, and then went in re-tightened the anterior and tightened the posterior. The sticks were just a little bit lighter and eased up on my shoulder aches when we played gigs. I believe a show is more than just playing the music, so I tend to get into it like any good musician and go monkey man on it.

Since my band has gotten back together, the first few practices were pretty good. However, I've started to get really bad fatigue and cramping in my forearm. I think I'm gripping my stick too much. I narrowed it down to my thumb actually.

I don't know why it's happening, I've played drums forever and just not had any problems with this. I'm currently looking into some Sex Wax or some dipped sticks to try.

I've tried forcing myself to relax but eventually I just start going back to square one. I either concentrate too much on keeping my hand loose and screw up, or I just cramp up.

I really want to fix this. It's really bothering me...mentally more than physically.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?
    Welcome to the board.

You have already rec'd some good advise, could just be the 3 years you took off from drumming got you a little soft and some practice will whip you back into shape again.

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Yes, age is taking its toll.
    I play the same way-loose at he start, tight at the end.
    I've just recently had the same experience with arm cramps: already had the basic pain from carpal tunnel from yrs. of over-use of computer mice for drawing, so I figured it's a no-brainer! Lots of ice then heat and over-the-counter pain killers seems to work.

Try going to Wal-mart and pick up a bottle of Magnesium in the pharmacy area. Its a natural muscle relaxer, I use it all the time. You can also get a better grade of it at your local health food store too.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

Fullstop Guest

Today is band practice. I've been doing stretches for about a half hour and warming up.

Actually I've got NO blisters this time around. I've created a couple of hihat parts that require faster speeds, and those are the ones doing it. I'm going to see if it's possible to slow them down just a smidge and see if it has the same feel.

I also have a spare set of five b's on hand and I may try them today as well.

The sticks I use are the Vic Firth models...they're highly varnished. I've also ordered some zildjian stick wax and some sex wax as well. We'll see how they do when they get here.

Thanks for all the great advice. I'm going to report in and let you guys know how all the extra stretching and warming up works for me!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I have very dry hands, so I use sticks that are heavily varnished. If you have very sweaty hands I would suggest naked or unfinished drumsticks as they wont get slippery when your hand sweats.
    Personally I wouldnt reccomend tape or dipped sticks to anybody, I find them to cause tons of blisters.
    That's what I figured, and why I haven't tried them before. I'll be skipping the tape or dipped sticks. Enough dipsticks in the world already
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

Fullstop Guest

Practice went well. The cramps presented themselves again but it was much later. I think I'd be doing good trying the stick wax and continuing to try and condition myself and stretch daily more completely.

Fullstop Guest

Oh! I'm starting to notice some sore spots on BOTH hands...maybe a bit of blisters starting to form up? This is a good thing! I corrrected my grip pretty well I would say....more stretching, more practice, and more ways to keep loose!!! WOOHOO!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Fullstop View Post
    Oh! I'm starting to notice some sore spots on BOTH hands...maybe a bit of blisters starting to form up? This is a good thing! I corrrected my grip pretty well I would say....more stretching, more practice, and more ways to keep loose!!! WOOHOO!!!
    Thats cool, sounds like youre starting to come back.

Think of like this......if you stopped running the Boston Marathon for 3 years do you think you would jump back in the saddle right where you left off?

It will take a bit but things will come back, the more you practice the faster the benefits. I think youre going about it the right way, stretching and practice..........best of luck........
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Part of the problem could be your setup. I've just posted this on another thread:-

Set the Stool to a comfortable height and sit on it with nothing in the way. Look where the right foot naturally sits, and put the bass pedal directly under there. Look where the left foot sits, and put the Hi-Hat there. Lift the hands with the sticks held comfortably, the shoulders relaxed and the elbows at more or less right angles. Where the sticks are is where I put the snare.

Comfort = Relaxation. Relaxation = Groove.

Also, I agree with the grip thing. I have dry hands, and used to have problems tensing up due to gripping too tightly. I used to use Stick Wrap to overcome this, but now I use Sex wax. Absolutely brilliant, good grip, no blisters and Really cheap. I've heard that Zyldjian wax is pretty much the same stuff but in a more expensive tin,() I'd be interested to see if your experience bears this out. Either way, I am totally happy with the grip I get now with normal sticks and Sex wax.

Don't be scared to simplify the part. Play 8th notes rather than 16ths, or quarter notes rather than 8ths or mixtures. Also, try switching to ride cymbal on choruses, you'll get more bounce and natural speed. (Have the ride set at a comfortable height too.)

Finally, have a look at the Moeller Technique. Speed and power with relaxation. Check out Dom Famularo's stuff on Vic Firth's website. Getting into that made a MASSIVE difference to my playing.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

great setup advice andy..thats exactly how i setup.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I actually posted a thread a while back very similar to this about my fingers going numb and pain in my wrist. I can't remember who gave the advice(sorry) but I was told I may be holding my sticks too tight. I loosened up my grip and wow! what a difference it has made. Holding your sticks loosely has helped me move around the drums more quickly cause I'm not playing so stiff and it is a ton less wear and tear on your wrist and hands. Good luck!

User Info Menu

check out jojo mayers secret weapons for the modern drummer it goes into detail on everything grip. i found it really helpful
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

Fullstop Guest

I ordered some sex wax last night. I can't wait for it to get here. My daughter made me put on my 8 inch tom because she seen the set up in a musicians friend catalog *she's 6*. When I did that, I adjusted my hihat stand and slave pedal a little closer in as well.

I'm going to use a combination of all the good info here and see how everything goes. I'm really excited and can't wait to get through to the other side. I've been trying to look up some videos and now I've got a nice selection.

Thanks guys! Your dedication to helping people out is amazing.