Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Check Yourself

User Info Menu

Default Re: Check Yourself

I'm so proud of one of my Melbourne friends, Joey...after years of abusing pot and alcohol, getting wasted etc, last two weeks he's just decided to go on the straight and narrow. We'd often chat into the late hours on MSN, and whether straight or wasted, he's one of the funniest guys I know (we'd keep each other in stitches passing inane comments, views and just absurd stuff), as well as one of the deepest thinking guys too, which is why we get on so well. I never judge my friends for what is on the surface, as far as their habits are concerned....it's what they are as people inside that counts for me. So anyway, he's getting himself out of his addictions, hopefully getting back to his cycling and guitar playing, maybe even doing a music course like what I had done. I wish him well!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter what it is, it's all about moderation. It's not what's being taken, it's who's taking it.

At some point, I bet a couple of you guys have played your kits so long that you almost got to the point of some potentially serious injuries.

Arthritis? Carpel Tunnel? Man, drumming sounds pretty dangerous too, better ban it, because there's a chance someone could hurt themselves.

See my point?
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shanty View Post
    It doesn't matter what it is, it's all about moderation. It's not what's being taken, it's who's taking it.

At some point, I bet a couple of you guys have played your kits so long that you almost got to the point of some potentially serious injuries.

Arthritis? Carpel Tunnel? Man, drumming sounds pretty dangerous too, better ban it, because there's a chance someone could hurt themselves.

See my point?
    +1

My choice is what I choose to do, and if its causing no harm it shouldn't bother you! - Ben Harper

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    I'm so proud of one of my Melbourne friends, Joey...after years of abusing pot and alcohol, getting wasted etc, last two weeks he's just decided to go on the straight and narrow. We'd often chat into the late hours on MSN, and whether straight or wasted, he's one of the funniest guys I know (we'd keep each other in stitches passing inane comments, views and just absurd stuff), as well as one of the deepest thinking guys too, which is why we get on so well. I never judge my friends for what is on the surface, as far as their habits are concerned....it's what they are as people inside that counts for me. So anyway, he's getting himself out of his addictions, hopefully getting back to his cycling and guitar playing, maybe even doing a music course like what I had done. I wish him well!
    Good on him!
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by codym444 View Post
    +1

My choice is what I choose to do, and if its causing no harm it shouldn't bother you! - Ben Harper
    That's right.

Just so everyone know, btw... I don't smoke pot, I rarely drink, and I don't see any specific reason to do it but... It's not my, or anyone else's, choice what people do.
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

I haven't had anyone pressure me to do drugs or drink, seeing as I'm only 13, but I do have a friend my age who had his mom let him get drunk. Not talking to kids is bad enough, but I can't think of a single excuse for actually allowing your child to get drunk under your supervision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drums-rock View Post
    hey im 13 so im like just in the teenage but im promised my self not to take the dam stuff as it just screws up your life and if i smoke ive told all my friends to beat me up i want to live as long as possible! :P

User Info Menu

I'm 15. Never touched alcohol, cigarettes or non-prescription drugs in my life, and i have no intention in letting that change.
    I am truly perplexed about smoking, i simply don't understand why people would do it. Its essentially paying to slowly kill yourself. Drugs and alcohol, i understand the appeal of, but i still don't understand how people could still take them at the compromise of damaging there own bodies.
    In moderation is ok i guess, but not the people who have the mind set of, for example, "Im gonna go to a party tonight and get SMASHED". I just don't understand.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    I'm 15. Never touched alcohol, cigarettes or non-prescription drugs in my life, and i have no intention in letting that change.
    I am truly perplexed about smoking, i simply don't understand why people would do it. Its essentially paying to slowly kill yourself. Drugs and alcohol, i understand the appeal of, but i still don't understand how people could still take them at the compromise of damaging there own bodies.
    In moderation is ok i guess, but not the people who have the mind set of, for example, "Im gonna go to a party tonight and get SMASHED". I just don't understand.
    +1 Your just like me on that one!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    Pressure, and women would be my first thought. Also, they aren't as fortunate as some of us are to have a good recreational hobby to keep them off of that fasttrack to peril. If you chase trouble you'll usually find it, a lot faster than it can find you.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Moderation for everything...except music.

User Info Menu

I'm not even sure if I want to say this, as in my experience, whenever I have I get immediately judged. My 15 years of not playing was down to a Heroin addiction. I slipped into it in my mid twenties and have now been clean for coming up to two years on the 31st April. It's not been easy, but my children got to an age where I couldn't hide it from them anymore. For the first 5 years I was a complete mess, a stereotypical junkie, but once my kids were born, although i couldn't/didn't stop, I got to a stage where I could keep a job and just about function kind of normally, albeit an expensive kinda normal. I made sure my kids had everything they needed, but admit they could've had a lot more. As far as my wife, well, she's an absolute angel. She knew the situation when we got together and we are still together now. We have had some properly bad times and she has put up with some s**t from me, but we are now making up for lost time.
    The things I have found to keep me occupied namely Drums, Mountainbiking and Surfing have gone a long way in helping me out.
    My reason for saying all of this, is that I started off smoking weed, then graduated onto harder and harder stuff. so people who say it doesn't lead on to other things or that weed does no harm are talking rubbish.
    Like I say, I'm clean for just about two years, don't smoke weed and am completely teetotal now. I'm just enjoying the life that I got back, and that luckily I'm still of an age where I can enjoy it.
    Anyone that reads this please don't let it change your opinion of me, I'm still an annoying, questioning, [deleted] taking englishman and that'll never change!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post
    I'm not even sure if I want to say this, as in my experience, whenever I have I get immediately judged. My 15 years of not playing was down to a Heroin addiction. I slipped into it in my mid twenties and have now been clean for coming up to two years on the 31st April. It's not been easy, but my children got to an age where I couldn't hide it from them anymore. For the first 5 years I was a complete mess, a stereotypical junkie, but once my kids were born, although i couldn't/didn't stop, I got to a stage where I could keep a job and just about function kind of normally, albeit an expensive kinda normal. I made sure my kids had everything they needed, but admit they could've had a lot more. As far as my wife, well, she's an absolute angel. She knew the situation when we got together and we are still together now. We have had some properly bad times and she has put up with some s**t from me, but we are now making up for lost time.
    The things I have found to keep me occupied namely Drums, Mountainbiking and Surfing have gone a long way in helping me out.
    My reason for saying all of this, is that I started off smoking weed, then graduated onto harder and harder stuff. so people who say it doesn't lead on to other things or that weed does no harm are talking rubbish.
    Like I say, I'm clean for just about two years, don't smoke weed and am completely teetotal now. I'm just enjoying the life that I got back, and that luckily I'm still of an age where I can enjoy it.
    Anyone that reads this please don't let it change your opinion of me, I'm still an annoying, questioning, [deleted] taking englishman and that'll never change!
    Good for you for being clean now man. Keep up the great work. I like transparency. I smoked pot in grade 8 because of an older brother, and failed the grade. Decided then that it would not be good for me. Luckily I got it out of the way early in life. I see no reason to get drunk or stoned to be happy. They are just crutches as far as I am concerned. There are many positive things in the world to spend your money on. I chose drums, and motorcycles. Yes they can be potentially dangerous to my health, but at least they don't change who I am. Good on the young guys on here that have chosen to obstain. My oldest is 18 now, and is drinking with his freinds. Beer pong seems to be the game of choice at parties. Hopefully he will keep it light, and maybe get it out of his system.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

Glad you got cleaned up Agent Orange................here I am complaining about quitting smoking, makes it seem pretty trivial compared to heroin.

Sounds like you found one heck of a woman to stick with you through all that............every man should be so blessed.

User Info Menu

AO, I just want to say congratulations for finding the courage to change your life, and to say that everyone has their struggles, so I can't imagine anyone here looking down on you. I give you huge credit for cleaning up so that you can be a positive role model for your children. What an amazing gift you have given them.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    AO, I just want to say congratulations for finding the courage to change your life, and to say that everyone has their struggles, so I can't imagine anyone here looking down on you. I give you huge credit for cleaning up so that you can be a positive role model for your children. What an amazing gift you have given them.
    Thank you for your kind words guys. Even though it was about a big part of my life I still don't want to let it define who I am. My children are two of the most delightful, polite, loving, inquisitive kids you could find, so all in all taking everything into consideration, I don't think I could've done too badly.

User Info Menu

If we're going to be honest, here's a lot more hassle spelling marijuana than there is smoking it and the people who claim it's a gateway drug or things snowball after you try it have just:

a) had a bad batch or
    b) got a weak mind

no offence to anyone here but weed is a powerful thing but it's not the all-evil entity you think it is,
    in the right mind it'll help you create masterpieces but it won't do nothing to you if you don't let it...

No one's ever started a fight on weed (unless you count a punch-up over the last snickers). Let it slide and stop being patronising towards it.
    Last edited by Hellwyck; 12-13-2013 at 08:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Unfortunately from personal experience I found that marijuana was a gateway drug for me. I started about 30 years ago with hashish. In the UK we tend to mix it with tobacco. I gave up the hash with no problems years ago unfortunately the tobacco has been a problem for me ever since.

The only issue I have with marijuana is I didn't get anything done when I was a frequent user, but I did attack my fridge on a regular basis - when stoned I turned into a werepig.

If tobacco was made illegal that would make sense as it has no beneficial side effects and is extremely addictive. Of course lots of Governments would miss the tax revenue...

User Info Menu

Can you play with fire and not get burned? Yes. If you play with fire, do you have a higher chance of getting burned? Yes. Does it mean you will definitely get burned? No.

If you're vulnerable and have less support in your family or have had a tougher go of it growing up, does weed have a higher chance of leading you into something more dangerous? Absolutely. Are you better off, as that type of person, not playing with fire (smoking weed or drinking). Absolutely. People that go onto harder drugs usually need them for psychological reasons. It doesn't have as much to do with the drug of choice. Further, any 'playing with fire' is a dangerous proposition. We all have our weaknesses and just as we can start eating too much sugar and consequently then start eating too much food and then get fat and then get diabetes and then die from diabetes... we can also be weak and drugs can lead to all the same habits, getting progressively worse. Just because not all people go onto harder drugs from weed doesn't mean that the propensity to do so doesn't exist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post
    If we're going to be honest, here's a lot more hassle spelling marijuana than there is smoking it and the people who claim it's a gateway drug or things snowball after you try it have just:

a) had a bad batch or
    b) got a weak mind

no offence to anyone here but weed is a powerful thing but it's not the all-evil entity you think it is,
    in the right mind it'll help you create masterpieces but it won't do nothing to you if you don't let it...

No one's ever started a fight on weed (unless you count a punch-up over the last snickers). Let it slide and stop being patronising towards it.

You are kidding....................right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hellwyck View Post

Have you ever noticed that many of the things in this world that are the least healthy for us, are 'sold' through deception?

Take this piece of candy little Johnny, it won't hurt you!

User Info Menu

There's been no recorded Deaths from weed. but from smoking there has been lots. I don't think smoking weed is a good thing. But if you eat it through brownies, in a safe environment then yeah I think it'd be fine, To the people that disagree, If docters can give it to people as a relief pain and reduce stress it cannot be harmful.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingAllTheWayHome View Post
    , To the people that disagree, If docters can give it to people as a relief pain and reduce stress it cannot be harmful.
    This made me laugh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    This made me laugh.
    Good to hear. But its true.
    Do research on it.
    It has no negative effects when eaten not smoked, Unless you include getting the munchies, if not then there's no negative effects, Only positive.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummingAllTheWayHome View Post
    It has no negative effects when eaten not smoked, Unless you include getting the munchies, if not then there's no negative effects, Only positive.
    Not so fast Daniel-san. It is irresponsible to make a definitive statement based on hearsay. In less than 5 minutes of Googling, I was able to come up with all kinds of articles proving your statement is absolutely false. In fact, they simply don't know. Long term research has not been done. That said, numerous articles pointed to the fact that it is likely still very unhealthy for you and most likely even dangerous under certain circumstances.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/1...-it-or-eat-it/