Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Check Yourself

User Info Menu

Default Check Yourself

Hope some of you may get something from this:

http://checkyourself.com/

User Info Menu

Wha? I looked and looked and couldn't find anything about not swimming until one hour after eating.

User Info Menu

btw, kids if your parents have not talked to you about these things, then force the matter upon them. if they are uninformed and have no answeres, then inform yourself and enlighten them to some of the real problems that teens face.
    you will all in the long run make your own decisions and i wouldnt tell you they are bad ones, but please make sure they are educated decisions.

User Info Menu

Wow, great. Another substance website dedicated to abstinence that uses facts and stats out of context. presented in a 'hip' and 'cool' way to steer kids away from the evils of the devil's weed.
    i must be the only hip hop fan here

User Info Menu

seth im unable to tell if your serious or speaking in jest
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sethhover
    Wow, great. Another substance website dedicated to abstinence that uses facts and stats out of context. presented in a 'hip' and 'cool' way to steer kids away from the evils of the devil's weed.
    Hhmm...it's starting to come together now.

User Info Menu

Nice one drummer. As funky said, kids will eventually choose their own way. Unfortunately those kids that have not yet had a bad experience with drugs wont give this a second thought. Those that have lost "loved" ones or have seen people close to them fail miserably in life because of drugs will be the ones to appreciate this website.

We had a rave party in melbourne last week and I was told how people (kids) were passing out and falling to the floor in fits because of drugs and I felt really sad. The most surprising thing is that I was also told in the 30 odd thousand people there, many of them were over 30.

User Info Menu

Drugs aren't just a problem for kids. I've seen a lot of adults screw up their lives with drug use also. When I was playing around town, I knew quite a few local musicians, who used recreational drugs routinely (mostly pot and coke). Most of them couldn't hold down a steady day job, and lived in less than ideal conditions. Since I work in a job environment that requires most of us to hold a comercial drivers license (since they started random testing) I've seen quite a few people lose their jobs, and their livelyhoods over smoking pot. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Especially since we were given a lot of warning that it was coming, and told that a failure would be cause for automatic dismissal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer
    Drugs aren't just a problem for kids. I've seen a lot of adults screw up their lives with drug use also. When I was playing around town, I knew quite a few local musicians, who used recreational drugs routinely (mostly pot and coke). Most of them couldn't hold down a steady day job, and lived in less than ideal conditions. Since I work in a job environment that requires most of us to hold a comercial drivers license (since they started random testing) I've seen quite a few people lose their jobs, and their livelyhoods over smoking pot. Pretty stupid if you ask me. Especially since we were given a lot of warning that it was coming, and told that a failure would be cause for automatic dismissal.
    I too believe in a safe work environment. Although, is it fair that those who have the occassional smoke, and I mean occassional such as once in a blue moon, lose their job? I dont think so. What is your opnion on this?

drums-rock Guest

hey im 13 so im like just in the teenage but im promised my self not to take the dam stuff as it just screws up your life and if i smoke ive told all my friends to beat me up i want to live as long as possible! :P

User Info Menu

good on yea DR

User Info Menu

Cool Check yourself

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    btw, kids if your parents have not talked to you about these things, then force the matter upon them. if they are uninformed and have no answeres, then inform yourself and enlighten them to some of the real problems that teens face.
    you will all in the long run make your own decisions and i wouldnt tell you they are bad ones, but please make sure they are educated decisions.
    The sad part is, man, too many parents are kids who haven't grown up themselves...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

to true

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    The sad part is, man, too many parents are kids who haven't grown up themselves...
    as being a 34 year old father of a 15 year old, i have to admit that he has grown up seeing just that part of me that you are talking about there. my step kids and 4 year old dont know any part of all that.
    having said that, my 15 year is an awesome kid. he's an ace in school and on guitar. he does not smoke pot even tho the majority of his musician crowd freinds do. he spent half of his life in the inner city and now goes to a fairly rich school district just outside of town. most of the parents are typical middle upper class yuppie types. the kids are uninformed and dumb. they do more drugs than the inner city kids and have a higher rate of dui and drug related crimes. at least informed kids will smoke weed these dumb asses will inhale anything.
    my other kids have all seen a more stable life and havnt been exposed to too much of anything. my 12 and 14 year old step kids get in more trouble and seem curious and likely to experiment with drugs and booze than my oldest.

wich brings up the last thing i will say. booze has ruined many more lives than pot ever will. it is dumb that one is leagal and the other not.

User Info Menu

well Im glad to hear your 15 year olds taken a good path, it always seems like there is one curious kid that always gets into mischief

User Info Menu

of course there is, usually more like 1 in 10 that dont get curious and mischeivous. it is nature and paret of growing up. the only point im making is if you are curious about anything, get some REAL information on it that isnt religious based or based on the opinions of dumbass kids and make the right choice.

User Info Menu

Funky - did it ever occur to you (and i'm not trying to start something here, just spitballing as they say) that perhaps alcohol seems more damaging because it IS legal? Perhaps pot being illegal is what stops it from having the same level of impact. Like I said, just a thought. Also alcohol itslef isn't addictive (as in it doesn't cause a chemical reaction in the same was as drugs or smoking). I'm not saying people aren't or can't be addicted to alcohol (obviously allot of people are), but it's a different sort of addiction.

Also, without trying to get into the psych-analytical stuff too much, and certainly as I don't know you personally or your life and situations, but the issue with your step-kids being more likely to have an alcohol or drug problem, personally, makes sense to me. At least at a somewhat superficial level. At any rate though, hopefully with your help and their mums, those sorts of problems can be dealt with positively if they arise, or perhaps avoided totally. Sounds like you've done a good job with your boy, so you obviously got something to share with the other young ones. Good luck with that though dude.

Knowledge is power as they say.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

coming from an irish/german family full of alcoholics, i would for sure say that alcohol is more dangerous.
    disclaimer....funky does not condone the use of drugs and alcohol by minors.

User Info Menu

as far as why my step kids are more curious is because they were not exposed to the partying and the issues it causes when you are not responsible. at least they are comfortable in asking me about it and talking about things. they will like any kid make thier own decisions, but are more the find out for yourself types.

User Info Menu

I'm creative after smoking weed. All for it. Legalize it!
    Chiggity check yourself before ya wreck yourself.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

as being a 34 year old father of a 15 year old, i have to admit that he has grown up seeing just that part of me that you are talking about there. my step kids and 4 year old dont know any part of all that.
    having said that, my 15 year is an awesome kid. he's an ace in school and on guitar. he does not smoke pot even tho the majority of his musician crowd freinds do. he spent half of his life in the inner city and now goes to a fairly rich school district just outside of town. most of the parents are typical middle upper class yuppie types. the kids are uninformed and dumb. they do more drugs than the inner city kids and have a higher rate of dui and drug related crimes. at least informed kids will smoke weed these dumb asses will inhale anything.
    my other kids have all seen a more stable life and havnt been exposed to too much of anything. my 12 and 14 year old step kids get in more trouble and seem curious and likely to experiment with drugs and booze than my oldest.

wich brings up the last thing i will say. booze has ruined many more lives than pot ever will. it is dumb that one is leagal and the other not.
    I met a man a few weeks ago that lost his wife about a year ago because someone, that was high on weed, ran into her car an killed her........ Very sad.

User Info Menu

Also, I'd like to say, my step-daughters, who are allowed much more freedom then my daughter, get into all kinds of trouble. My daughter doesn't get into any trouble, whereas my two step-daughters are on permanent groundation until they are 18 LOL

User Info Menu

To me drugs are no better - they mess with more than just your equilebrium and decision making skills. Regardless of people think - drugs are bad mmmmkay - it's that simple. Not saying alcohol is better or worse - anything that is abused is bad, doesn't matter what it is - there's a reason it's called alcohol abuse, even though people don't yell at the drink and smack it aorund a bit. Drug absue is the same thing. Allot fo people drink, allot more people drink than people who are alcoholics. Also allot more people drink and they drink much more freely than people who do drugs - which means there is more opportunity for the negatives of alcohol to come to bare.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Generally speaking, very very liitle dependences are good(such as drums)!

User Info Menu

of course there is, usually more like 1 in 10 that dont get curious and mischeivous. it is nature and paret of growing up. the only point im making is if you are curious about anything, get some REAL information on it that isnt religious based or based on the opinions of dumbass kids and make the right choice.
    That would be nice if kids did do that, but they usually just get all caught up in the moment, or just dont care much for researching it.