Thread: bad issues

User Info Menu

Default bad issues

I am starting a tribute band with my guitars and his daughter who is 19 singing. Problem is she can't sing. I think my buddy know this but not sure. My wife who has heard us practice says she isn't any good. I know she can't sing. Not sure what to do because if we play out I don't wan to get booed off stage. My wife wants me to stop practice with them because of this. I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
    Conrad
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Default Re: bad issues

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    I am starting a tribute band with my guitars and his daughter who is 19 singing. Problem is she can't sing. I think my buddy know this but not sure. My wife who has heard us practice says she isn't any good. I know she can't sing. Not sure what to do because if we play out I don't wan to get booed off stage. My wife wants me to stop practice with them because of this. I am not sure what to do. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
    Conrad
    Hi Conrad,

What was your plan for this tribute band? Was the plan to be a paid gigging band or a "for fun only" basement band or no plan?

blue

User Info Menu

Play in bars and get paid
    Conrad

User Info Menu

talk to her dad to see what he think and if he want to play with her daughter just quit
    if he want to play with you and other poeple that cool
    always say the thruth

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Play in bars and get paid
    Hi Conrad,

All areas of the country are different. In my neck of the woods most if not all paying bar business goes to rock cover bands.

Tribute acts can do well at corporate gigs and special events. But you answered my question, either way, since your looking to gig and get paid I would take the advice from your wife.

Blue

User Info Menu

gently tip toe away from that situation.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Rule one, never have family members in a band.
    I know it can work, but for the most part it just leads to major headaches.

User Info Menu

^ I can vouch for that, and add girlfriends/boyfriends of band members being brought in. When they fall out between them, things can get nasty. If you're going to earn a few bucks out of this, it's a business, and that's where I'd say this (and can apply to non-musical things too): The reality is, there are no friends in business.

In one cover band situation which I was co-leading, in the original line-up my guitarist mate brought in his friends, none of whom I knew. And fortunately I never had close ties to any of them because I became the "head executioner" when it came to hiring and firing, whereas my mate was hamstrung....personal feelings would be in the way. My concern of course was the quality of players. The original keyboardist, Steve, was fine, he stayed after I fired the first bassist, brought one mate in. Then we had problems with the girl singers....one could sing in time but not often in pitch....the other could sing in pitch but not in time. I had enough of that nonsense....they went, replaced by a male singer. Then Steve left (not fired...he had study commitments) replaced by another Steve, whom I became mates with after the band finished. Then the bassist, a long time buddy of mine, started his nonsense, so unfortunately I had to fire him (naturally, we didn't talk for a while after), replaced by another mate who was rock solid dependable. Then the second Steve left and I replaced him with another keyboardist. Then I had to replace the singer again (he was a mate of the guitarist) with someone who was completely new to us. Phew!

(In complete contrast to this, I played in a covers band where I was the only one not somehow related. They had two brothers, one on rhythm guira and vocals, the other on keys, guitar and vocals. Their soon-to-be brother-in-law was on bass and lead vocals. Their cousin was the lead guitarist. And I was replacing the bassist's brother on drums. They worked together pretty well despite some arguments here and there, and once I came into the band, there wasn't a single line up change up until they called it a day! They were a good exception from the rule though.)

But take it from us....you cannot be impartial and make good decisions about who is going to be in a band or not (especially with their level of musicianship) if it compromises peoples feelings due to their relationships or friendships. Otherwise everyone suffers, not just one or two people.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 03-12-2014 at 11:24 PM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Nothing at all against women but I was just saying the other day how hard
    it is to find a female vocalist that sounds good through a PA or recording.

User Info Menu

How long has she been singing? Maybe she needs practice. Does she have a keyboard? Just singing along with piano notes - do-re-mi-fa-so-la-ti-do might help.

User Info Menu

She sang when she was younger but never taught to sing. Its more like screaming. This is going to be a Joan Jett tribute band but I thought tribute bands were supposed to look like the band members. We don't The singer could if she redid her hair some more. Her dad no to big to be any guitar player Joan had. Me I do not look like Lee Crystal or Thommy Price. So I don't know.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

When in doubt record what you are working on. Play it back. Find out how every feels about what they just heard. If the truth doesn't come out with that, then you are very much wasting your time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

She sang when she was younger but never taught to sing. Its more like screaming. This is going to be a Joan Jett tribute band but I thought tribute bands were supposed to look like the band members. We don't The singer could if she redid her hair some more. Her dad no to big to be any guitar player Joan had. Me I do not look like Lee Crystal or Thommy Price. So I don't know.
    Joan Jett tribute band? Seriously? She had one hit! What do you play after that?

all the best...

User Info Menu

In today's world of musical genres, I'm sure a whole style could be formulated around screaming!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Rule one, never have family members in a band.
    I know it can work, but for the most part it just leads to major headaches.
    I'm glad Jacksons, Bee-Gees and Abba, Carpenters, Van Halen, etc... didn't think that way!

all the best...

User Info Menu

She's gonna end up blowing her voice out if she's not used singing and is screaming or forcing it too much. She may have a ton of potential, especially for other styles, but it's not doing her any favors by letting her continue as is. You might try that approach...out of concern for her. Can she sing better if you do other styles or stuff that's in her vocal range (assuming she has one)?
    We had a young 20yr old gal sing with us for several months last year. She was a real sweetheart and had some talent. She could sing Blues awesome, but it had to be in the lower registers. She kept trying to sing Country stuff above her range and then was flat 90% of the time. She wasn't willing to devote the time outside of band practice to develop her voice and eventually quit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If she can't sing, she shouldn't be in the band. Period. End of story.

And I disagree with the notion that good singers (or any instrumentalists) are not available. I've been doing this a long time. There are always amazing musicians tucked away in the folds. Your job is to find them. Try the churches, try the schools, hit the clubs, etc. They're there, you've just got to find them.

User Info Menu

#1 first and foremost,,, Be honest with yourself. If YOU aren't happy then quit. YOU are the one that has to spend all the hours practicing and rehearsing and gigging. YOU should be happy doing such. Not fair to waste your time and especially theirs.
    #2 I wouldn't appreciate my wife wanting me to quit just because she doesn't like a member of the bands "musical ability". It has nothing to do with her. Now if it's trust issues then yea, get that straightened out. But to want you to quit over someones ability? Pfffffft!
    #3 If mamma ain't happy, nobody is happy. So that kind of shoots #2 in the foot. Lol

User Info Menu

Your buddy is probably gonna be upset you want to boot his daughter. Tread lightly, but you've got to cut her loose.

User Info Menu

Before the tribute band came up the guitarist wanted to start another band because the one we are in now the bass player dose not wan to play a lot. So the guitarist (singers dad) said lets start a new band and get a different singer his daughter sings in the current band as well. I think he dose not want to hurt his daughters feelings. I have had a few friends and family not just my wife says She can't sing.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Just tell her you guys need someone that can legally be in the bars (even if she can be) and someone with a little more exp. Nothing wrong with that.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN