Thread: Restoring Drums Help?

User Info Menu

Default Restoring Drums Help?

After seeing this thread i have been thinking of doing similar to my premier kit.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...n-14094p2.html

i bought the kit second hand quite afew years ago, and it was used when i bought it and been used many times since. I ithink giving it a nice natural stain and laquer would make it once again sound as good as it looked.

That is the kit i am talking about.
    The reason for start this thread and not just diving in is that to do this i am going to have to sand down quite alot of the laquer and coating that is already on it, and also the insides of the shells are black so would want to do the same to them. Is it a task that is worth leaving to someone alot more experienced, and if not, does anyone have any hints and tips for me?
    Sorry for the mamoth post

User Info Menu

Default Re: Restoring Drums Help?

if it was my kit, id leave it to someone more experienced just 'cause i wouldnt wanna mess it up lol. could be expensive.
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

So that is a natural lacquer finish and not a wrap ? The only experience I had before refinishing that PDP set was refinishing my congas.
    I bought a little black and decker palm sander $35 from WalMart. A round head one. Took all the hardware off the drums and then the wrap. Kind of tricky getting the badge off. That eye. There are instructions on the vintage drum site that tells you how to do it.
    I actually didn't need to sand them much as they were already pretty smooth and no glue on the shells. Start off with a 60 grit or so and sand the finish off. Then a 120 or so grit to smooth them up. Just don't sand to much in one area. Keep moving so it is sanded evenly. When you are down to the original wood wipe it good with a tac cloth
    .98 cents at WalMart. Wipe some Danish oil on the wood to bring out the grain and let it dry for 3 days. Then if you want a natural finish apply some natural clear polyurethane and when dry sand lightly and apply another coat. I put 3 on mine. Clean your hardware good and put it back on. That's about it. Kona on here does a lot of refinishing and I am sure he has a lot of good tips also. That's a nice set. I bet it would look great.
    Last edited by VIbes; 05-02-2010 at 04:05 PM.

User Info Menu

i know they look alright in that picture, but there alot of light scratches and afew dings that go right through the laquer. i am going to have a a think about it. Also the drum kit originally is a 6 peice. and i only use it as a 4. so one of the extra toms i dont use i may try on that first and see what happens.