Thread: Exercise Ideas

User Info Menu

Default Exercise Ideas

More and more in today's world of drumming, you hear about people wishing they had faster hands, stronger legs, more endurance, etc. You are probably putting in a lot of time into drumming, but wondering why you aren't quite getting that kind of speed and endurance yet. Well I thought, it must have something to do with the shape you're in rather than how much you play.

Getting in shape could help progress your drumming to further limits than you realized before, so I looked around and found some great videos I think could potentially help anyone interested. Some of you might remember him from Rocky V. Dolph Lundgren has a few videos that focus on many key areas, and combined you will work almost all of your body. Try and last through at least one of these segments, and day by day(or week by week) keep going until you can do all three no problemo.

1) Warm up- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WX-UFCX9Kc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WX-UFCX9Kc[/ame]
    2) Lower Body- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unFkdsvCeLI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unFkdsvCeLI[/ame]
    3) Upper Body- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1K_pdVX0s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm1K_pdVX0s[/ame]
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Default Re: Exercise Ideas

Look up Bobby Rock's website he has exercises that are specifically drummer oriented.

User Info Menu

I was trying these as best I could today, and i'm super sore, which probably means these work well.(i'm what you'd consider to be out of shape haha) Would you say the Bobby Rock exercises are for more advanced fitness-goers?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Like any execrise routine, you have to stat at your level. Thats the problem with dvd or internet workouts, they are all set for one level and the instructor cant modify it for your specific needs or fitness level.
    You want to get in shape fast and lose weight fast? Nothing beats plain old running.
    Run everyday, do 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 leg lifts everyday, that will get you in shape increase your cardio and core srtength faster than any machine or dvd.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Like any execrise routine, you have to stat at your level. Thats the problem with dvd or internet workouts, they are all set for one level and the instructor cant modify it for your specific needs or fitness level.
    You want to get in shape fast and lose weight fast? Nothing beats plain old running.
    Run everyday, do 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 leg lifts everyday, that will get you in shape increase your cardio and core srtength faster than any machine or dvd.
    I'm not sure I can do it up to that level yet. I can barely do like 4 regular pushups- a bit more if I use my knees. I'm just starting out again, is it okay to do knee pushups for awhile till it's a bit more manageable? I'm still feeling a lot of burn doing even that. Also, what does a situp work on compared to a crunch? I know crunch does something with the abdominals, but does a situp do that plus another area?
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with knee pushups, I did them for a while. Once you can do your 100 on your knees then try doing 20 regular 20 knee, 20 regular ect up to 100.
    For the situps you are right, do crunches so you dont hurt your back. Unless you can lock your feet down under a couch or you have a partner to hold your feet.

After you get these exercises down and you feel you need more, I'll give you the advanced pushups and the super ab workout and what we call at our dojo, "Cardio Hell"

User Info Menu

Great advice right here. Also, make sure to do these exercises correctly. Doing 100 push ups does no good if you are not doing them with proper form. Same with sit ups and other floor exercises.

Running is my preferred form of exercise. I try to get in 50 miles a week, including at least one 10 mile run a week. Keeps you in good shape
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Can anyone recommend any exercises to prevent hand/arm cramps? I'm a righty, so with that being my dominant arm, my hand sort of locks up around the thumb after a certain amount of playing. Also, the muscles and/or tendons in my upper forearm get sore after a while and it's usually pretty tender for a few days after. In fact, I honestly can't remember it going away at any point since I drum every few days. It doesn't seem to be building the muscle, it just seems to be working it in a way that it apparently doesn't want to be worked. Maybe I'm holding my sticks wrong? It only happens only when I hold them a certain way, but I can't seem to hold them any other way without having them flop all over the place and slip out of my hands. Here's how I hold my sticks, maybe there's a better way to do it?

Last edited by NoiseInMotion; 05-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Hand cramps are usually caused by gripping the stick to tight.

User Info Menu

I don't feel like I'm holding it that tightly though. It feels more like the stick is pushing back against my thumb whenever I hit something, but I can't find any other way to hold the stick so my thumb isn't in that line of fire.
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Relax your hand, my 4th and 5th fingers barely touch my stick, your hand cramps will go away.

User Info Menu

yep, just loosen your grip a bit , and you should be fine , and as Northern Redneck said , ya dont really need your 4th and 5th fingers that tight ,, that cramping is caused by fatigue,from gripping your stick too tight.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Gene Hoglan is a player who has insane speed, power and endurance, and he ain't exactly skinny haha

Also his size ads to his character and presence on stage
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Noise, get a metronome, do warm ups. 8 strokes right hand then 8 strokes left hand. You will get faster and stronger, but it also is like walking before running, gets u warmed up.

Also, check out some drumline warm ups, watch how they use thier wrist and hands and fingers, when u use it all and get it fluid it will help a ton.

User Info Menu

Holy mackerel man! I'm sweating pretty good right now after doing some exercises to the first three videos. I somehow made it through all three, and i'm a beginner! It just goes to show, inside each and every one of us is an amazing amount of potential, and just about anything can be accomplished when you can get your mind set to do it. There was a few times I wanted to quit, give up, say "f this" and go watch tv or something- but it's great when you accomplish something like that. If you can last through these 3 videos as I did, I really think it will not only work your body, but it will give you some confidence as well.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with knee pushups, I did them for a while. Once you can do your 100 on your knees then try doing 20 regular 20 knee, 20 regular ect up to 100.
    For the situps you are right, do crunches so you dont hurt your back. Unless you can lock your feet down under a couch or you have a partner to hold your feet.

After you get these exercises down and you feel you need more, I'll give you the advanced pushups and the super ab workout and what we call at our dojo, "Cardio Hell"
    Can you tell me the cardio hell? I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Are you guys talking 100 push ups straight? or like 5 sets of 20 reps?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JOX View Post
    Can you tell me the cardio hell? I'd be interested in giving it a try.

Are you guys talking 100 push ups straight? or like 5 sets of 20 reps?
    4 sets of 25 pushups with a set of 25 situps in between

Cardio hell is
    2mins of continous sparring (Im in karate) no rest period, 1 min of pushups, 30 sec rest period. then back to 2 mins sparring, 1 min pushups 30 sec rest period repeat for 30 mins

User Info Menu

4 sets of 25 pushups with a set of 25 situps in between

Cardio hell is
    2mins of continous sparring (Im in karate) no rest period, 1 min of pushups, 30 sec rest period. then back to 2 mins sparring, 1 min pushups 30 sec rest period repeat for 30 mins
    Hehe, the reason I asked is because I box....so we do drills like that as well and I was curious to see the similarities.

Try this one out, this was for my AAU basketball team that was nationally ranked...We would walk in to practice, shoot around warm up, than when practice began, we would run 15 laps around the gym (full size gym). After that, with no breaks might I add, we did 4 sets of suicides(again full gym), a 30 second break after that, than 100 push ups, 4 sets of 25, then do 4 more suicides, 30 second break, then another set of 100 pushups. Than practice REALLY started hahaha. It was literally almost a boot camp, but I will tell you, I was in the best shape of my life, and nobody in that league could run with us.

User Info Menu

Sounds fun. Yeah the cardio hell usually comes after an hour long sparring class. And if you dont do at least 45 pushups or situps in the one minute, you finish them during the rst period.