Thread: Sabian Zildjian Compare and contrast

User Info Menu

Default Sabian Zildjian Compare and contrast

i need to write a paper about this in my comp 2 class i play sabian so i wanted to know your guyses takes on both companies and if you use them your favorite lines and cymbals
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Sabian Zildjian Compare and contrast

Years ago I used Zildjian and was very happy with them. Today I use Sabian as I feel they try a little harder to make theirs the best they can be. Also the AAX line seems to work for all types of music. Sabian was started over a fight between the 2 brothers of Zildjian
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 05-13-2010 at 02:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Well this is a tough one actually because I don't actually know everything about these companies, but here's an attempt anyways:

Zildjian, I use some of their cymbals and have so far been impressed. They sound rich and full, perhaps a bit too bright at times but that's just the cymbal itself. They may or may not be the most popular cymbal company in the world, but they are the oldest. Zildjian is nearly 400 years old, the oldest family run business in America, and one of the 320 oldest businesses in the world. One of the first Zildjian companies started in Quincy, Massachussetts and officially formed in 1929- the same year as the Great Depression. Avedis III started as a company who made noisemakers for war purposes, to frighten the enemies of the Ottoman Empire but later branched out into music as we know them. The first founder, Avedis actually got the name 'Zildjian' from Sultan Osman II in honor of his achievements.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

One of the big reasons for the split was the sound consistency. Early on you could get two cymbals of the same size from the same line, and one would sound completely different than the next. I don't know if this is still an issue, but I remember this being one of the things the Zildjian bros disagreed about.

I mainly use Sabian today, but it's more of a comfort/familiarity thing than anything else. I still think the 20" K Custom ride is the best sounding ride cymbal on the market. And the 16-18" crash/rides are still superior general purpose cymbals IMHO.
    Last edited by bennice; 05-13-2010 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm not much help. I use both.

Really, in my opinion, it's like high end drums. Once you get to a certain price point, it's hard to go wrong as they both have versions to cover all sorts of genres.
    PDP Platinum Series drum set (Fire Engine Red Metallic to Black Fade)
    - one 12" up, one 16" down

13x7" Ludwig Black Magic snare
    14x5.5" PDP Platinum 12 ply snare

14" Zildjian A Series New Beat hi-hats
    17" Zildjian A Series Medium Thin crash
    21" Zildjian A Series Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

I agree with you A-Ro. With so many different series available, both Zildjian and Sabian have good cymbals to offer drummers for different styles. Much of the differences is in the ears of the hearer. For example, I prefer the Zildjian A Custom crashes over the Sabian AAX cymbals (which are both similar sounding, multi-purpose cymbals), but I prefer the Sabian AAX ride over the Zildjian A Custom ride. It is purely a personal preference, and has nothing to do with whether one series of cymbals is actually better than another. It is exactly the same case for choosing one cymbal over another in a specific series of cymbals. I might choose a specific cymbal because it is the "perfect sound," while another person might reject the cymbal that I chose in favor of another cymbal that has a "perfect sound."
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

thanks for your guyses help and i wasent asking wheather they were better or not really and i was specifically talking about the high end lines my curent cymbal set up is in my sig
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Id say you have to compare their ideals. They are at the very core the same company. Zildjian has been doing this since the 1600s, they are pretty set in their ways, they have innovation of coarse, but if its not broke dont fix it.

Sabian kept the tradition of hand hammering going(as they had all the old school hand hammering guys from the old country). As they had something to prove they pushed inovation. The rocktagons which some say got them real fame, up to the things they have today. Also it seems Sabian works real close with their endorsers. Almost every artist has a signature cymbal(and if your Neil Peart you own line!).

Those are some things Ive noticed