Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I plan on spending summer $ on equipment... help!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I plan on spending summer $ on equipment... help!

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Speed, which equates to latency while recording. The hardware has to convert the analog signal to digital and then send it to the computer which then records it onto the software at the same time as you are listening through the headphones. If there s a delay between the hardware and the computer moving the data you will hear a delay in your headphones while you play. Firewire has the least amount of delay when compared to USB1 and USB2.
    Would there be any noticeable differences if you're listening to the recording after it had been finished recording? As in if you listen to a recording made through fire wire as opposed to USB2 and you're not hearing it at the same time as it's being performed would there be a difference?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardrockalternative View Post
    Would there be any noticeable differences if you're listening to the recording after it had been finished recording? As in if you listen to a recording made through fire wire as opposed to USB2 and you're not hearing it at the same time as it's being performed would there be a difference?
    No there would not.

User Info Menu

No there would not.
    So, if I was recording with a group live the audio through the headphones would be delayed but the end product would be fine, but if I was playing along to audio coming through the hardware there would be a delay between what I was playing and what the end result would sound like?

I'm trying to think in terms of both a band recording and making drum covers for YouTube etc.

User Info Menu

Think of it this way. There is a click track in your headphones you are playing to. As you hit the drums in time with the click track you are hearing in your headphones, the drum you just hit will be heard in your headphones delayed in relationship to your click track. Now is it subtle? depends. Depends on if you are recording 44khrtz, 48 khrts, 96 krtz or 129. Also depends on where your buffer is set in the software which will be dictated by the power of your computer. Either way fireface decreases the delay to the point that it is not noticeable. What you will have to do is either adjust your playing or "nudge" the tracks to line then up " on the grid".

User Info Menu

Think of it this way. There is a click track in your headphones you are playing to. As you hit the drums in time with the click track you are hearing in your headphones, the drum you just hit will be heard in your headphones delayed in relationship to your click track. Now is it subtle? depends. Depends on if you are recording 44khrtz, 48 khrts, 96 krtz or 129. Also depends on where your buffer is set in the software which will be dictated by the power of your computer. Either way fireface decreases the delay to the point that it is not noticeable. What you will have to do is either adjust your playing or "nudge" the tracks to line then up " on the grid".
    Then for what I want fire wire is definitely the way to go. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Just make sure your computer is up to spec and you have a firewire interface on your computer. Most importantly, have fun bro.

User Info Menu

That's why I use the HD24XR daisychained for 24 simultaneous tracks at 24/96.
    Unless your spending at least 5 grand for a digidesign and protools hd you'll only get eight simultaneous tracks at 24/96.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    That's why I use the HD24XR daisychained for 24 simultaneous tracks at 24/96.
    Unless your spending at least 5 grand for a digidesign and protools hd you'll only get eight simultaneous tracks at 24/96.
    I personally would not touch hd. The rumblings are there will be a new system in the near future and hd uses expansion cards that are quite antiquated now with the super fast computers that are available.

User Info Menu

Another thought just struck me. If I plugged that Shure mic kit straight into a fire wire recording interface would there be phantom power for the mics?

User Info Menu

I'm pouring over reviews. A common theme with companies dealing with recording products is scattered random failings and horrible tech support.

User Info Menu

Shure SM57's don't need phantom power.