Thread: is it possible to soundproof a basement without spending tons of money?

User Info Menu

Default is it possible to soundproof a basement without spending tons of money?

my drumset is in the basement and my parents and my sister get really annoyed when i pratice and usally make me stop after iv praticed for a few minutes, i want to soundproof the room

is it possible to do it without spending to much cash?
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: is it possible to soundproof a basement without spending tons of money?

I personally plan on going nuts with eggshell foam
    PDP Platinum Series drum set (Fire Engine Red Metallic to Black Fade)
    - one 12" up, one 16" down

13x7" Ludwig Black Magic snare
    14x5.5" PDP Platinum 12 ply snare

14" Zildjian A Series New Beat hi-hats
    17" Zildjian A Series Medium Thin crash
    21" Zildjian A Series Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: is it possible to soundproof a basement without spending tons of money?

Nope, soundproofing is very exspensive.

User Info Menu

frame out a room with 2x6 go to a matress store and get some old twin matresses that they get when they deliver new ones and fill in the walls and insulate the ceilling. you won't need a lot of 2x6's because you have to seperate them wide enough for the matresses. then cover the walls and ceilling with 3/4" MDF and close it in and caulk all cracks with silicone leave a door opening the size of one mattress frame around one matress and close it in with MDF and attach it with hinges and depending on weight maybe some caster wheels on the bottomand youv'e got your door. The we wrapped the inner walls with packing blankets and made one like a curtain covering the door to minimize leakage. You'll get it almost sound proof the door will be your weak spot depending on your constuction skills you could get it pretty quiet. I did this for a friend and costed $200 to $300 and he can now play at 3:00 in the morning.

User Info Menu

The thing to remember when you're planning to soundproof a room is thickness. The thicker the material used, the more effective it will be at keeping sound from leaving the area. Are you after soundproofing, or soundtreating? They are different things, and you might decide you'd rather have a room tailored for good recordings rather than total soundstopping.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

So, how about a garage? I guess my hardest challange will be the garage door? What could i do for that?
    The Emergency Exit Band (still working out kinks)

Pearl Masters Custom Maple
    8"x8"
    10"x10"
    13"x10"
    16"16"
    18"x16"

6.5"x14" Pearl Maple Free Floating Snare
    22"x20" Virgin Bass

12" Avedis Splash
    14" Avedis Projection Hihats
    13.25" K Hybrid Hihats
    17" A Custom Crash
    16" Meinl MB10 Medium Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Crystal Thin Crash
    18" Sabian AA Crash Ride
    20" A Custom Medium Ride
    21" Avedis Sweet Ride

dave0549jv Guest

i asked the same question a few months ago, and the answer is basically no... soundproofing and treating are fairly complicated, but it's worth reading up on. If you can afford it, building a room within a room is the way to go. That will go a long way toward containing the sound. then youll have to treat the room so that it's not an uber loud echo box.

Look into Audimute stuff. they have some sound absorbing blankets that might help you some, and theyre not too expensive.

User Info Menu

Egg crate foam... All it does is cut out the higher frequencies. I don't think it actually lowers the volume.
    - Zack