Thread: Snare rolls

Nehalem Guest

Default Snare rolls

Hello.
    I am just looking for links to any good videos or tutorials or written lessons or advice on the topic of snare rolls or fills. A while ago, I watched a band play and the drummer really enlivened the performance with his intricate snare rolls. I think that it's a talent I lack, so I want to work on that.
    Any relevant information welcome.
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare rolls

Hey Nehalem, welcome to DrumChat!
    Many of the snare rolls that you hear drummers do come from standard drum rudiments. Go over to drumrudiments.com and there are free videos for each one of them. Don't let it intimidate you, just take one or two at a time. It will take a while to work them up to speed but then you can break them up and play the rudiments between all the drums.

See the drum links section up top right for more links to drum lessons online.

Nehalem Guest

Thanks.
    That site seems useful. I am probably wrong but it seems to me as if those rudiments, when implemented as rolls or fills, will only be impressive or sound nice if played at very high speeds. I can play all of those rudiments solidly and consistently but they won't sound nice the way I play them as snare rolls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nehalem View Post
    Thanks.
    That site seems useful. I am probably wrong but it seems to me as if those rudiments, when implemented as rolls or fills, will only be impressive or sound nice if played at very high speeds. I can play all of those rudiments solidly and consistently but they won't sound nice the way I play them as snare rolls.
    Pretty much every site or video linked to Drumbum is worth checking out or watching. It's like having the best of the internet, that has to do with drums, in one place.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    not true... try accents
    My Creative Side - My VOICE - My Heart and Soul - My WaY oF CoPPiNG - My Escape - - - This is who I am, and I am proud

User Info Menu

You can do any of them slower but it takes more control.

User Info Menu

Here's a classic slow drum solo that's all rudiments and as Psyko said, "Accents."

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyTyKe6mlwo&feature=related"]YouTube- Cozy Cole - Topsy Part II[/ame]

User Info Menu

Thanks.
    I am probably wrong but it seems to me as if those rudiments, when implemented as rolls or fills, will only be impressive or sound nice if played at very high speeds. I can play all of those rudiments solidly and consistently but they won't sound nice the way I play them as snare rolls.
    learn the single stroke roll, double stroke roll, paradiddles and flams first. They are what most of the other rudiments are based off of. Speed for each of them will come with time- it takes a lot of practice. With the doubles, the speed really comes when you are able to bounce the stick evenly, twice for each hand alternating. Then your double stroke rolls will sound like the rolls I think you're trying to get. If you want a more "full" roll, also try buzz/press rolls, where you bounce each stick as many times as possible, alternating as cleanly as possible... sorry if my explanation is a little confusing
    Last edited by oaktree137; 05-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

oh and also make sure you start slow and stay there until you can play a double stroke roll, paradiddle, single stroke cleanly and evenly at a slow speed... Control is very important. Then comes speed
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Starting slow is VERY important especially on doubles. I took me months of practicing doubles just to get all the strokes at an even volume and to stop rushing the second hit on m left hand. But now I think my doubles sound almost as even as a single stroke roll until I start reaching the edge of my comfort zone.

This song has a lot of snare fills that sound great but aren't fast.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R_V1RkSDY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0R_V1RkSDY[/ame]

User Info Menu

Here are a couple of exercises I do. As has been said, start slow and do it over and over. It takes time...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpvf85PgAg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRpvf85PgAg[/ame]