Thread: Flams

User Info Menu

Default Flams

When hitting the same drum with both sticks do you always do a flam or do you sometimes hit both sticks at the same time? It's hard to explain but sometimes when I hit the snare or toms with both sticks at the same time it makes a different noise and one of the sticks bounces up like it was on a trampoline. Anyone have any experience with this?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Flams

When doing a flam and both sticks hit at the same time its' called a flat flam.

I use a lot of flat flams in my playing, especially when doing swiss rolls around the kit (i.e. left hand on high tom and right hand on the floor.)

I know what your talking about when hitting the same drum with both hands though. That's because one hand is hitting slightly sooner than the other cause the other stick to get that huge rebound.

User Info Menu

I don't usually hit my snare with both hands at the same time, but I hit 2 toms or my floor tom and snare at the same time a lot.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Okay cool. Ya I like the sound of the floor tom and the snare a lot too.

User Info Menu

Mmmmmmm, flams...
    Ludwig - Sabian - Evans - Gibraltar - Vic Firth

2 Up 1 Down, 1 Crash 1 Ride, 2 Sticks.

Help us beat the record!

User Info Menu

i do mainly standard flams, the second stick will be accented.

but as far "flat flams" i do those as well but rarely on the same drum. i use it a lot on ft and snare.

User Info Menu

This got me thinking. I never hit the same drum with both hands together. I never really thought about it before but if I had to explain why, I just don't see any benefit. If you're not playing a flam or hitting two separate drums, what's the point? You won't really get that much more out of the drum.

By the way, there's also what's called "separated flams". You'll hear this a lot in Latin music. You just put more space in between the flams and it causes tension. They're lots of fun if you haven't tried them before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    This got me thinking. I never hit the same drum with both hands together. I never really thought about it before but if I had to explain why, I just don't see any benefit. If you're not playing a flam or hitting two separate drums, what's the point? You won't really get that much more out of the drum.

By the way, there's also what's called "separated flams". You'll hear this a lot in Latin music. You just put more space in between the flams and it causes tension. They're lots of fun if you haven't tried them before.
    you don't get more but you get a different sound. I use regular flams on the snare a lot, and sometimes flat flams. I'll hit both at the same time on the snare If I want to make a short pause with a more explosive re-entry. Hitting the snare with both hands gives the same volume but no resonance after.

example.. I use it on 3 then pause and crash back in on 1. Even if you don't like the sound that much its a better visual effect than having one hand doing nothing.

User Info Menu

If you hit the same drum with both sticks at the same time, its just too flat of a sound for me and I dont think it sounds that good.

Now 2 different drums, thats a different story. Just my opinion, some members might like that flat sound.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    If you hit the same drum with both sticks at the same time, its just too flat of a sound for me and I dont think it sounds that good.
    Yea, that's what I was saying. You don't really get that much from it. It's just flat.

User Info Menu

the flam is my favrite rudiment
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    the flam is my favrite rudiment
    Yes, they are flam-alicious!

Check out Mike Johnston's latest vid on YT...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Yes, they are flam-alicious!

Check out Mike Johnston's latest vid on YT...
    It's an awesome lick and I can bang it out on the practice pad but I can't figure out how to count it. Anyone know how?