Thread: Drum Kit

User Info Menu

Exclamation Drum Kit

fairly new drummer here, got back into it after 15 years, hooked up with a few guys, doin the band thing, my question is, with limited funds, what would be a decent kit to start out again with for practice and small shows? I have been looking into the Imperialstar, Ludwig Accents, Pearl Forums. I am kinda under the impression so far with new good heads, and proper care and tuning, I can make about any one of these sounds good. And most seem to come with Meinl HCS cymbal packs. I would like opinions from experienced drummers please, No haters, seriously. Small shows and practice, what kit can handle both and sound good? Thanx to all who try and help

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Kit

Quote Originally Posted by como2277 View Post
    I am kinda under the impression so far with new good heads, and proper care and tuning, I can make about any one of these sounds good.
    Yep, as long as its not one of those $80 Wal Mart kits. Pretty much any entry-level kit from a big name brand can sound good with the right heads and tuning.

As for which kit, I can attest to the quality and durability of Tama's stuff. I have a Superstar kit but I'm sure the Imperialstars are just as well-built.
    Matt

User Info Menu

What he said , plus just wanna welcome ya back to the fold, 15 years is a long time bud.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

i can make my $300 pdp sound better with good heads and me tuning than a idiot can with a $6000 pearl masters custom can.

my pdp does sound really good.

i would probably prefer the ludwig, but thats me. also you my want to check out a custom classic dealer near you. (i would pm you where, but i cant untill you have 10 or 20 posts)

User Info Menu

+1 to the advice so far. One thing I like on the Tamas over the others is the tom mounts. I find them easier to adjust.

If you give us a budget I guarantee you'll get tons of great ideas and advice.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Yeah it will be good to know what your budget is.

But for entry level kits from the big names, I would suggest a Tama Imperialstar, or maybe a Yamaha Gigmaker.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

thanx for all the great advice so far, to answer your question, I am thinkin my budget will be around $700 to start, maybe 800 if I can push it and tighten the belt a bit..LOL

User Info Menu

do you have any cymbals yet? are you starting from complete scratch?

User Info Menu

$700 for a kit gives you a lot of options. If you need cymbals, it gets more limited.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

LUDWIG ACCENT COMBO nuff' said.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat como! I think that you will find that all the kits that you mentioned will be of a similar quality. I can say that the Pearl Forum, and the Tama Imperialstar kits both have 100% Poplar shells, while the Ludwig Accent kit features "select wood shells." Now if you remember the popularity of the Pearl Export kits, those were Poplar shells. There are other things to consider as well, like the quality of the bass pedal, the hardware, and whether a throne is included, but all in all I would say again, that the quality of the kits will be similar.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+1 on the Pro M's, amazing kit for the money. They won't leave you feeling disappointed at all.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

It is a BUYERS MARKET! I can find Pro M's easily for $300 leaving you a lot for cymbals. Even the MAPEX Orion Orbiter which became the Pro M which became the Meridian are to be had for a song.

User Info Menu

when i bought my x7's they were 699, but i think they raised the price, also if you need cymbals, then you're gonna have to go with a cheaper set like they said, I'd go tama, if i were you, which is the next set im getting, and ive heard really good things bout they're entry sets, you can get a imperial star with cymbals and hardware for 700

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Tama-Imperialstar-5-Piece-Standard-Drum-Set-with-Cymbals-And-Free-10--Splash-887181-i1470150.gc[/URL]
    Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste.
    Buddy Rich

User Info Menu

I had a lowend percussion plus set for 5 yrs with evans hydraulic heads and I always got comps from those who heard it and some jaws dropping when I told them what brand it was. With that kinda budget you can get a nice setup. Just be patient and look around(ALOT). best of luck, keep us informed of you choice.

User Info Menu

The best decision is to buy used. You can get an intermediate or pro kit for the price of entry level. Same goes for cymbals
    RAWR!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Question Re: Drum Kit

thanx for all the great advice, I have done some homework, and I think I am going with the Imperialstar set w/ Meinl cymbals, my bandmate has a practice set he outfitted with Zildjian cymbals also so Ill have a good array of cymbals, any thoughts? we will be recording and small venue shows in the very near future, do you guys think this set can handle it? Remember $700 budget here, thanx again

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by como2277 View Post
    thanx for all the great advice, I have done some homework, and I think I am going with the Imperialstar set w/ Meinl cymbals, my bandmate has a practice set he outfitted with Zildjian cymbals also so Ill have a good array of cymbals, any thoughts? we will be recording and small venue shows in the very near future, do you guys think this set can handle it? Remember $700 budget here, thanx again
    Good choice IMO. Make sure to take pics when you get it
    Matt

User Info Menu

I play an Imperialstar and can attest to it's superb quality. Put the right heads on there and it'll sound great. The hardware as well is all top notch. Now, the Meinl HCS cymbals are another story. They actually aren't bad for what they are but I wouldn't gig with them. They are strictly beginner/practice cymbals. The throne sucks too. But then again, I've been spoiled by Roc-N-Soc.

This year Tama released a 2 up, 2 down configuration of the Imperialstar and it's only $100 more. Totally worth it in my opinion. I only wish this was available when I bought mine. The ONLY reason I am looking to upgrade my kit is because I want 2 up, 2 down. Anyway, you just missed the Memorial Day sales but if you can hold out until Father's Day all of the major retailers will have their 15% coupons again, so you can get the kit $680.14 plus $19.99 for shipping from MF.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    I play an Imperialstar and can attest to it's superb quality. Put the right heads on there and it'll sound great. The hardware as well is all top notch. Now, the Meinl HCS cymbals are another story. They actually aren't bad for what they are but I wouldn't gig with them. They are strictly beginner/practice cymbals. The throne sucks too. But then again, I've been spoiled by Roc-N-Soc.

This year Tama released a 2 up, 2 down configuration of the Imperialstar and it's only $100 more. Totally worth it in my opinion. I only wish this was available when I bought mine. The ONLY reason I am looking to upgrade my kit is because I want 2 up, 2 down. Anyway, you just missed the Memorial Day sales but if you can hold out until Father's Day all of the major retailers will have their 15% coupons again, so you can get the kit $680.14 plus $19.99 for shipping from MF.
    Couldn't you just buy another Imperialstar floor tom?
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by yohin View Post
    Couldn't you just buy another Imperialstar floor tom?
    Haven't been able to find one anywhere. I've looked. If you know of a place, please let me know. Also, my current set is 12,13,16. I'd much prefer the 10,12,14,16 sizes of the new set as 12,13,14,16 is just... weird.

EDIT: I actually found a place that stocks Imperialstar toms. There's an 18" floor tom. What do you guys think? 12,13,16,18? That'd be different...
    Last edited by DLDante; 05-31-2010 at 10:54 PM.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^