Thread: trouble with sound systems while playing live

User Info Menu

Default trouble with sound systems while playing live

my bands played live 10 times at least i think, we played a gig at this place called webster undeground, this was our 4th time playing there, the place is known for not having a good sound system, but it was much worse this time, we could barely tell what part of the song we were at, and we could not heard eachother, for some of the songs we were off timing, and did certain parts to soon or too late, cause we couldnt even tell where we were

anyone else have a problem not being able to tell were you are in the song becuase you cant hear the rest of your band? how can it be avoided?
    Pearl Vision VX jet black
    Aquarian heads (Focus-X, Performance IIs, Super Kick II)
    Pearl Free Floating Maple Snare
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

14" Paiste Signature sound edge hi-hats
    16" Paiste Signature full crash
    18" Paiste Signature full crash
    20" Zildjian K custom dark ride
    20" Paiste RUDE china

In bands: Frame of Mind, and Become The Catalyst

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Frame-...7982037?ref=ts

User Info Menu

Default Re: trouble with sound systems while playing live

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    my bands played live 10 times at least i think, we played a gig at this place called webster undeground, this was our 4th time playing there, the place is known for not having a good sound system, but it was much worse this time, we could barely tell what part of the song we were at, and we could not heard eachother, for some of the songs we were off timing, and did certain parts to soon or too late, cause we couldnt even tell where we were

anyone else have a problem not being able to tell were you are in the song becuase you cant hear the rest of your band? how can it be avoided?
    I think it's always challenging for the drummer to hear the guitars if you don't have a monitor next to you and you are set up next to or behind the guitar amps. The cheapest solution for you, as the drummer, is to have the guitarists set their amps so they line up with the back of your kit so you can hear them.

Having never played that venue it's hard to give advice, but did they have any monitors for you guys? Usually if a place is providing a sound system, they'll have stage monitors too. Was this the show on the 29th (I checked their calendar)?

On a side note, how is that place as a venue? Is the Underground different form the main theater? Mostly metal? Just curious. Even though we are really only doing the "cover" thing, I'm trying to convince the band to write new stuff and play originals as well.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I always make sure there is an amp facing me. Even an extra "practice" amp is all it takes. Also always had the bass amp next to me too

User Info Menu

I have my own monitor that I make sure I bring. Have played numerous venues where the local/venue sound system is challenging, or pathetic. It is very difficult if you need to rely on such. One venue I remember has the band play on the stage, but sound system is bizarrely "bolted" into wall to one side of band, so you have the odd feeling when you play of everything only coming from that side. What were they thinking...Sigh...
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

shouldnt the amps be facing the audience?
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

20" Paiste RUDE china

User Info Menu

Put the amps beside the drums, slightly behind you.

User Info Menu

i listend to the recording of our gig, it actually wasnt that bad, much better than i thought it sounded, but there were a few mess ups, but they werent to noticable, and the guitarists amp was having problems, it sounded really messed up during the beggining of one song, and he had to switch guitars in between a song
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

20" Paiste RUDE china

User Info Menu

If you get lost, keep playing the same thing at the same tempo and volume til you can get back on track. Chances are, the guitarists are staying with you and you're still on time. This has happened to me numerous times, and this works almost every time. Also, if you get lost, look at your rhythm guitarist's hands (if you can see them) to get a visual sense of what's going on.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SEAN8293 View Post
    shouldnt the amps be facing the audience?
    yes, but behind you pointed out to the audience. not turned around and facing you.

User Info Menu

I had those same issues when I first started playing in bands, back in 1976ish. It came from all of us thinking we had to be the loudest. I played loud, so the guitarist played loud, and the bassist played loud, etc...That all changed with my understanding of stage volume. I had to get it right or I was going to go deaf. I learned how to play at a much more relaxed and comfortable level, which brought everything down. Of course, investing in decent equipment was necessary. A good stage monitor system with a board that everything except drums ran through. I think we had 4 or 5 monitors on stage. Then we had some subs and mains out front with about 3000 watts of power. Now, we really didn't need all that most of the time, but it was nice to have. Sometimes you need the power to give it a "full" sound, without getting loud. Bottom end takes a lot of power. I was playing in a country band, then a funk/R&B band back then. it was important to have that full sound because we were expected to get people up and dancing.

User Info Menu

there was only audience moniters and the stage is small so the amps cant be behind me, the drumset has to be as far back as possible on the webster underground stage
    Vic-Firth 5B
    Pearl Eliminators
    Roc N Soc throne

20" Paiste RUDE china

User Info Menu

If you can't get the amps behind you, or even to the side, then you have to make do. I think we've all been in that situation and the key is practice. If you know the songs cold, then you just play how the song is supposed to go. You'll be able to hear guitars at any breaks, and the guitarists will have to learn to follow you.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

This has always been a problem and you get better at dealing with it.

There are ways to better prepare yourselves as a band though. When you practice, practice with the setup you will be using on stage. It always amazes me when I catch bands practicing and they are in some unusual setup that defies any kind of logic to actually playing music live. Playing the music is only half of what practicing or rehearsing should be about. A band should be spending an equal amount of time figuring out the nuances of playing as a band and balancing out the entire act and sound. By practicing as you play you will deal with a lot of these problems and also learn how to anticipate and adust your playing as needed when you are out playing live.