Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ringo Starr

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo

IMHO, anyone who could keep up with Paul and John's "interesting" writing styles towards the end of the era, has my vote. Solid as a rock. Just take a listen to albums like Magical Mystery Tour and the White Album. Classic Ringo. He was the ultimate quiet achiever, and wasn't afraid to roll up the sleeves and have a good hard crack at any song. After all, he was the one who penned the term "A Hard Days Night". Happy B'Day Mr Starkey.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ringo

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I'm in a cover band right now that has many Beatles tunes on their set list. My sister who is 7 years my senior was responsible for bringing home our first Beatles album and Ringo was the first drummer I tried to mimic when I was 8 years old. His style is very unique to say the least!

Happy Birthday Ringo!
    Yeah, I was a "Ringo Knocker" UNTIL I had to learn to play the shuffle and drum breaks on "Revolution"for a covers band....talk about a baptism of fire...because if it rushes, the band gives you dirty looks for the rest of the song, and especially when it's on the gig itself....took me a few nights before I could "de-Peart/de-Copeland/de-Bruford" my chops and just "play what's right for the song"...but oh...when it's on the money, and the crowd nod their heads and clap and stomp around...that's when you know you "got it"!! Same experience, different song, different drummer...."Brown Sugar" by The Stones.

By the way, when asked who he listens to, Phil Rudd from AC/DC usually cites Ringo and Charlie as his two main influences (as well as the other bands and drummers of 60's bands like the Small Faces, etc). And God knows how many hard rock drummers Phil influenced!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8