Thread: For Your Consideration: My Hard-Shell Pedal Case For >$35

User Info Menu

Default For Your Consideration: My Hard-Shell Pedal Case For >$35

I was inspired just before July 4th by a big-box home improvement chain's commercial affirming I was capable, and they'd be of assistance

I think you understand which store I'm talking about. Anyway, I had just pulled my drumming items out of storage (they'd been there since last October) and had the pleasure of playing at a friend's house. This meant moving my stuff. It felt wrong to have an expensive pedal sliding around inside a plastic toolbox. For something that had been so thoughtfully crafted, the way I moved it around deserved some thought and care too.

I ended up making a hard case that perfectly fits a single kick drum pedal, for slightly less than the readily available soft bag. If anyone is interested in doing something like this themselves, here's a step-by-step record of this little project.

http://mrcboccuzzi.wordpress.com/201...e-it-yourself/

On a community note: the link brings you to my WordPress blog, but I'm not trying to sell you anything, nor do I benefit from any site traffic. I just found it easier to make the guide there than to do it post-by-post here (as you may or may not know, photos must be hosted on a different site- WordPress obviously let me combine photos and text in a logical way, which I also thought would be easy to follow if anyone wanted to attempt this as well).

I just wanted to make it explicit that I showed the mods and admins the proper respect and asked if this outside link would be ok first. Everything there is G-rated anyway, so those looking for something scandelous may be disappointed if they go wandering
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Default Re: For Your Consideration: My Hard-Shell Pedal Case For >$35

Looks like your ingenuity paid off. You now have a sturdy custom case for your kick pedal. How do you like the Axis BTW?

User Info Menu

Great DIY project MrB! That was a very creative solution!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

At areFISH:

I'm very happy with the Axis. I've been using it for cumulatively five months now. It took a little getting used to at first compared to what I was using before (Yamaha 800 series for a decade), and in doing so I transitioned from double chain to direct drive. Initially I felt like I wasn't getting as much thump as I used to, not as much force to the kick, but after walking away from the kit for seven months and coming back it feels perfectly natural. I recall right after buying it I noticed the beater felt a lot lighter, and I kept an extra Yamaha one in case I wanted to go back. I haven't used it yet.

Previously I've played around with my teacher's old Yamaha strap pedals from the 70s/80s, Pearl Power Shifters, and DW 5000s, and each of those pedals felt fine to me. From a feel standpoint, I can't say I'm that picky about any good pedal on the market. They all felt good.

When shopping I sat down and messed around with each and settled on the Axis for the direct drive, the base plate, and the simple design. I was also encouraged by the many positive reviews I read, the fact that Axis had been around for a few years, and the company was USA all the way (I like to support local businesses).

I looked at Trick ProV1's online, but since I couldn't find any to try, I wasn't willing to drop that much money. The Demon Drives were just coming out when I bought the Axis, and their higher price turned me off (as did the Trick's). There's a great analysis by late8 (?) on here of the DD when he bought them, and his review cemented my wariness.

If I were to do this over, I'd like to do a shootout between the Axis X and the Flying Dragon. But as it stands, I find the X suits my needs. We've gotten to know each other, and as long as I keep it clean and treat it right, I hope we'll be together for years to come.

At PB:

Thanks! If nothing else I hope to show protecting your stuff isn't that hard, and definately worth it!
    Last edited by MrB; 07-09-2010 at 01:31 AM.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

" See and need, fill a need" that is very cool!