Thread: Noob recording, how to communicate with band members?

User Info Menu

Red face Noob recording, how to communicate with band members?

Hey guys!

FIRST POST here. I've enjoyed reading the board! Lots of valuable info here! I'm a self taught drummer and have been drumming seriously for the last 2-3 years, though I've drummed for about 8. Mostly rock/indie for the first few but now metal.

I've never had anyone give me a critique or lesson. Over the last year I've been playing with a metal band and have improved a lot! I've been working at the double bass for a year now as well. (However, I've only used the metronome religiously over the last two months... ) I've also been trying to break all of my bad habits as I found out I was holding the sticks wrong for a good chunk of my "drumming life".

My band recorded our first demo 3 weeks ago and I did terrible and have been dreading every rehearsal since. When I was completely mic'd and had a click track screeching in my ear, I just couldn't keep my timing. I blew it, and we only got through two tracks out of five and they were sloppy. What's worse is this has turned into a consistent problem! I can't keep a solid double kick pattern for the life of me and it's driving me insane, not to mention my bandmates are getting very irritated with me now that they've heard all of my flaws at full volume.

Is there anything useful I can say to my bandmates to help them understand that this sort of foot development takes time? I play for 4-5 hours a day doing hand/feet exercises to a metronome but I'm seeing little improvement. I understand this sort of progress takes time, but I'm expected to play at 200bpm. Help!

This is our myspace page.

http://www.myspace.com/twiceasdead

EL PRESIDENTE and SMB are the song we recorded.

--Ray

User Info Menu

Default Re: Noob recording, how to communicate with band members?

the only time time i can play 200bpm is when i dont play for a couple days. (i can only do it for about a minute, im not a metal head)

your "drumming muscles" are no different than a body builders, if you rest them for 2 days (which is hard for me cause i want to play) your legs will get stronger and more consistant. just like a bodybuilder does, they take atleast a day off to let the muscle grow and heal. with u playing 4+ hrs a day you are just sitting stagnant.

User Info Menu

Dont run before you can walk mate.

Last year i broke my ankle, being a double kick user my left leg took a bit of a slow down! I couldnt hit the faster grooves any more. I slowed everything down, getting the slower BPM's solid and tight, and practised getting it faster ONCE i had it nailed at a slower pace. It takes time, just keep working with a click and practise! I hate clicks too :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by danielfreeman View Post
    Dont run before you can walk mate.

Last year i broke my ankle, being a double kick user my left leg took a bit of a slow down! I couldnt hit the faster grooves any more. I slowed everything down, getting the slower BPM's solid and tight, and practised getting it faster ONCE i had it nailed at a slower pace. It takes time, just keep working with a click and practise! I hate clicks too :P
    Yeah. Being a metal drummer myself, and playing in a band who is also recording, i know what you're dealing with here. Personally i think drums is harder than guitar/bass because 1:its physical. If your legs can't do it, then you can't. 2: it takes time. 200bpm is hard and i think the fastest i can go is probably 210 for 20 sec, give or take. 3: metal drumming is HARD. If drumming was comprised of sports, i.e. Jazz being baseball, classic rock being basketball, metal drumming is the football/hockey of drumming. Its the most physical and probably mental drumming there is.

Keeping time is essential, and click tracks are annoying, i feel ya. I don't take lessons either, being that all they'll tell me is to keep a beat. Maybe you could make it(the click) softer and increase the sound of tge rest of your band.

Just out of curiousity, how are you guys recording? Professional studio? Home studio? My band and I just mic'ed up my basement, getting down to business. Maybe, if its because you're not in your house or whatever, the change of venue is making you mess up because you're not used to it. And, plus the fact that you are recording and that its your first time.

Jordison

p.s. Show your band members this thread, maye then they'll understand
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

This was a lesson I had to learn the hard way as well. Now I constantly play every track I play to a click. It takes a little more time to get set up for practice, but I will build up a practice regiment and put clicks at those bpm on an mp3 player and play them the tracks, works wonders, as mainly you just get used to hearing them and they dont get in the way.
    (the only real issue I have with clicks at this point is when you have songs with a tempo change, they are impossible for me to get the change in the right spot or the slow downs when a song is ending, messes me up every once in a while)

When it comes to the 200 bpm, if you cant do it right now, just be honest with them. if you are playing quarter notes, try halves until you get that down. That way everyone else will not have to learn the songs at a different tempo, but you can keep the time still.

Do like everyone else said, practice, but remember practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. (something I have to tell myself EVERY day as I have plenty of bad habits myself)

When it comes to the rest, I will usually alternate my days, one day doing rudiments with my hands mainly, and the next rudiments with my feet, this allows the other to "recover" for a day but still allows me to play, and dont forget to put some fun in there for yourself too.

happy drumming

User Info Menu

Somethin else that will help, seems a bit unrelated up it does work! Carb yourself up before you play, have a flapjack or something 30mins before your session, this will help give you a tad more energy. Also try riding a bike or cycling in the gym, the leg movement will help strengthen your legs in the long term.

Also general fitness will help you and your stamina. As jordison515 related drumming to sport, which he is 100% correct! Bodybuilding is a sport, and they have to adust their diet to their sport - so do footballers and rubgy players. Druming is a physpical activity thus techincally is a sport too, so make sure your healthy :D

*old man sounding post over * :P