Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: playing along....

User Info Menu

Default playing along....

I actually have 2 questions first is related to this title..
    when playing along with music what do you recommend useing to hear? do you use a certain headset? I find that my situation don't allow me to practice with a pa blasting the music so I can hear, I watch the video's playing along with the music and can't see any ear pieces...any suggestions would be appreciated

2nd question...watching DENNIS CHAMBERS video with his double bass pedal and hi hat going at the same time...hope this dont sound too dumb BUT
    how is he playing a double bass pedal and the hi hat too? you can see his foot on the hi hat yet it shows his double mallets going too. this video in on here under DRUM VIDEOS

dave0549jv Guest

Default Re: playing along....

Howdy Drumz, welcome to the forum. I havent seen the Dennis Chambers video, so i cant help you with your second question. But as for the first question, youll probably get a bunch of different replies. I picked up a set of Vic Firth isolation headphones. They plug right into my ipod, and since they cut out lots of outside noise, i can keep the music fairly low, and still hear myself playing. Its a handy way to hear what you want, and still protect your ears.

User Info Menu

I just use iPod earbuds. I can't play with isolation earphones cause I can't hear my drums!!!
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I just use iPod earbuds. I can't play with isolation earphones cause I can't hear my drums!!!
    Yikes! That's not good dude. You'll damage your hearing real quickly using iPod earbuds.

To the original poster, I agree with Dave that you should pick up some isolation headphones. I don't use the Vic Firth ones because there are others from smaller brands that work just as well and are much less expensive. I can't remember at the moment what brand mine are though.

Haven't seen the Dennis Chambers vid so I can't help you with that.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Get the Vic Firth headphones. They reduce the decibels of the drums enough so that it won't damage your hearing, but you can still hear them clearly. Unless tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) is a long term goal for you, you might want to avoid ever playing the drums with just regular headphones/earbuds.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for your help, and dave the video i referred to is on this site under drum video's...it's pretty cool you need to see it i just cant figure out how he is playing double bass pedals and his foot is on the hi hat unless he has a pedal like the" duallist" but it looks like a pearl or something like that

User Info Menu

It may be an uncommon technique where his foot is partially on the hi hat and partially on the kick pedal. I know the solo you're talking about, and when it goes overhead his left foot appears to sit in one place.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DLDante View Post
    Get the Vic Firth headphones. They reduce the decibels of the drums enough so that it won't damage your hearing, but you can still hear them clearly. Unless tinnitus (constant ringing in the ears) is a long term goal for you, you might want to avoid ever playing the drums with just regular headphones/earbuds.
    I haven't noticed any problems so far. Any protection I've tried just makes me loose that crisp sound I need to hear from my drums and cymbals. I feel far away from my kit or something. But if it's really that bad, I'll look into getting some smaller noise canceling headphones that don't surround your ear.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Constinator25 View Post
    I haven't noticed any problems so far. Any protection I've tried just makes me loose that crisp sound I need to hear from my drums and cymbals. I feel far away from my kit or something. But if it's really that bad, I'll look into getting some smaller noise canceling headphones that don't surround your ear.
    It really is that bad. Just because it hasn't done damage yet, does not mean that it won't. And, once it does, the damage is irreversible. If you don't like the Vic Firth headphones, then experiment with the different options available. But you should ALWAYS protect your ears.

User Info Menu

Is it just me or are the vic firth headphones really uncomfortable? Maybe I just have a pumpkin of a head, but they seem pretty tight. The size adjustment also seem to creep a lot making them more uncomfortable. Lastly they have a tendency to rub my ears.

Are there any other options?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_d View Post
    Is it just me or are the vic firth headphones really uncomfortable? Maybe I just have a pumpkin of a head, but they seem pretty tight. The size adjustment also seem to creep a lot making them more uncomfortable. Lastly they have a tendency to rub my ears.

Are there any other options?
    It's just you. I have no trouble with them at all.

I'm sure there are other options. You just need headphones that also have dB reduction rating (not "noise canceling" headphones, it's not the same). I know some folks will use earbuds and then put the ear muffs over them and they find that more comfortable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    It may be an uncommon technique where his foot is partially on the hi hat and partially on the kick pedal. I know the solo you're talking about, and when it goes overhead his left foot appears to sit in one place.

More than likely this is the case. With the right pedals, technique and setup it is possible to do and if anyone is going to be in that position, someone like Dennis Chambers would be a one of those to do it. Otherwise, unless using a duallist there is no other real possibility. That or he can move his foot form one pedla to other so quick the camera misses it.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=yohin;304913]Yikes! That's not good dude. You'll damage your hearing real quickly using iPod earbuds.QUOTE]

ok, might be a dumb question...but....is it specifically ipod buds or any? i have a pretty gnarly ringing not really wanting it to get worse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by usererror View Post
    ok, might be a dumb question...but....is it specifically ipod buds or any? i have a pretty gnarly ringing not really wanting it to get worse.
    Any regular earbuds. But they do make isolation buds you can get that supposedly block out a lot of the external sound. I have a pair but I found them to be uncomfortable. I know a lot of people who use them though.
    Matt

User Info Menu

i usually use a pair of skull candy earpuds//with some shotgun range earmuffs, still wicked ringing though, would liek to get some of the molded ear jobbers, kinda expensive though

dave0549jv Guest

Maybe I have oddly shaped ears or something, but I hate almost all earbuds. Anything in my ears will drive me nuts.

User Info Menu

i dont use earphones at all..thats probably why im half deaf though
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

What?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by scottd View Post
    i dont use earphones at all..thats probably why im half deaf though
    Matt

User Info Menu

I just blare it out my stereo system. I know this could be bad for you, but i havent noticed any ringing yet.
    Sabian Squad (Albeit Ironically )

Check out my Youtube Channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/AustVaiv?feature=mhee

User Info Menu

I use the AKG K77 muffed headphones. They're lightweight, and totally flat EQ. The large ear muffs cancels enough noise and the overall balance is good. The entire package for this headphone set-up ($99.00 USD) came with a Behringger headphone amp, plus a second set of headphones. This was the perfect price and now I have a second pair of headphones to offer to my metal guitar playing buddy when we jam those ear splitting metal tunes.
    $99.00 USD

User Info Menu

Now, wait a sec. I am confused.

When I play along, I use my Iphone and just use the I phone earbuds.

The music is kind of loud, but I don't hear much from the drums themselves.

Where does this ringing/damage thing come in? Is it caused by the drums?

I am pretty darn new, so might sound stupid to those of you that have been playing a long time.

I have very acute hearing, and dont' really want to mess that up.

Come to think of it, my friend (who has been drumming for a long time) does say "what?" a lot to me. I tend to talk softly because I hear so well. Hmm.......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chewgravel219 View Post
    Where does this ringing/damage thing come in? Is it caused by the drums?
    Hearing damage can be caused by exposure to any loud noise for extended periods of time. Drums are loud, especially when you're sitting just a few inches away from the source of the sound. It's smart to always protect you're hearing. Even if you don't feel like it's hurting you, it still is.

One thing to keep in mind, for everyone who says they haven't noticed any ringing or hearing loss yet, is that the damage is IRREVERSIBLE. Once you do start to notice the ringing, it'll be there to stay. There's no reason to let that happen when there are so many affordable solutions out there. The Vic Firth headphones are like $40 and Hearos (ear plugs geared toward musicians) are like $5.

User Info Menu

I use Skullcandy earbuds but I really don't like them... I had some VF Isolation headphones but the were just really uncomfortable to wear for a longer period of time (an hour). I'm looking at getting some Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Check those out.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

I've used my iTouch with skullcandies for a while, they work real well. However, I blasted those out due to my inability to hit lightly (idk guess the decibel level was to high, drums and all) so I started using these overear headphones (like a cheap version of bose) which were good and all until my dad wanted thm back. I just realized today that you can put a cd into your dvd player and have music play over surround sound! SO EPIC IT BLEW MY MIND-it was like having avenged sevenfold play in my basement
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave