Thread: Recording Bassdrum with no port hole ...

User Info Menu

Default Recording Bassdrum with no port hole ...

In my past recordings, my reso always had a port hole. Here, we just stuck a mic in the hole for the bd track. This time around, I've decided to try things a little differently to get that big booming 70s bd sound (ala Bonham). The set I will be using is a 24" bd that's tuned with felt strips only and no port hole. So, my thought was to put a mic directly in front of the reso and add another mic to the batter. Anyway, this is the plan...but not really sure this is the best way to do it....this might be overkill. If you've done this before please share your experience....or, if you have another idea, please share also ....Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Bassdrum with no port hole ...

Hey nio sounds like a plan. I've never had a chance to use two mics on one bass drum but I did use an Audix D6 on a 14x22 '68 Ludwig with no port. The bass drum was pillowed with a med. fiber pillow with the edges of the pillow rolled up longs ways to form a cylinder rather than a square. It didn't have the deep Bonham as you are seeking but at least you can hear what the bass drum sounded like with a no port reso. The video clip is recorded using my 8 channel PA head with 8 mics including one overhead small diaphram condenser with a -20db cut switch turned on. No effects in the DAW except a limiter to even out the drums and the play-along tune.
    Here's where I placed the kick mic:

Here's what it sounded like.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfLglcMyzY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsfLglcMyzY[/ame]

User Info Menu

I would try a subkick mic as well as a d6. That combo will give a thunderous bass drum sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Hey nio sounds like a plan. I've never had a chance to use two mics on one bass drum but I did use an Audix D6 on a 14x22 '68 Ludwig with no port. The bass drum was pillowed with a med. fiber pillow with the edges of the pillow rolled up longs ways to form a cylinder rather than a square. It didn't have the deep Bonham as you are seeking but at least you can hear what the bass drum sounded like with a no port reso. The video clip is recorded using my 8 channel PA head with 8 mics including one overhead small diaphram condenser with a -20db cut switch turned on. No effects in the DAW except a limiter to even out the drums and the play-along tune.
    Late, the set sounds great! Isn't that the one you restored a while back? I will try out your suggestion Thanks....

User Info Menu

Maybe it's just me, but I have a difficult time hearing unported kicks when they are mic'd up. I think the port allows the volume to come out and sound a lot more present in the mix.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Agree Russ. The batter head can play a big role in the sound of the kick. There is something magical about placing a d6 about two inches from the batter head right at the impact point of the beaters. Just depends on the sound people are going for though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    Agree Russ. The batter head can play a big role in the sound of the kick. There is something magical about placing a d6 about two inches from the batter head right at the impact point of the beaters. Just depends on the sound people are going for though.
    You know, I want that thud that you get from the batter, but I also want that booming sound from the resonating shell and reso head. I know what I can get from having a port hole....I just wonder if I can get something better with this setup...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    Late, the set sounds great! Isn't that the one you restored a while back? I will try out your suggestion Thanks....
    Thanks nio, yes...it's the old '68 Ludwigs I restored last year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I have a difficult time hearing unported kicks when they are mic'd up. I think the port allows the volume to come out and sound a lot more present in the mix.
    So true but I didn't have the heart to cut a 4 inch port in the Ludwig head since it looks so vintage without the port.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    You know, I want that thud that you get from the batter, but I also want that booming sound from the resonating shell and reso head. I know what I can get from having a port hole....I just wonder if I can get something better with this setup...
    Add a subkick mic to the reso to add the low htz range in addition to the attack from the batter. Again... it really depends on the room acoustics and what sound you are going for. No position is 100% correct and sound is subjective so have fun and do what you like.

User Info Menu

put the mic inside of it, and run the wire through the breather hole
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nucjd View Post
    When I did this recording with the vistalite back in 93 my reso was unported and we got a nice boom. Carefull micing from behind though. You can pic up the pedal squeek sometimes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfNhuI1Y4N0"]YouTube- You Can't Trap Me.wmv[/ame]
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

i had a good look at that subkick nucjd keeps banging on about....

looks just like the hs80m speaker.........trippy

User Info Menu

If you want the classic Bonham sound a'la When the Levee Breaks mic the kit the way Page did, 2 overheads. Page explains it here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWI9bMe7gHE&feature=related"]YouTube - Headley Grange[/ame]

User Info Menu

well, basically, I would go with what cycledude was saying and port the front and back, but grease up your pedals, as squeak would be easily gotten, but make sure you run some form of gate as you will get ALOT of snare

best of luck to you
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

What do you guys think about recording a bass drum with no resonant head on it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jah446 View Post
    What do you guys think about recording a bass drum with no resonant head on it?
    Thats how most kicks have been recorded.