Thread: Death of a Drum Head

User Info Menu

Default Death of a Drum Head

Yesterday, I killed my 22" drum head by drilling a hole in it with what was a miserably failed attempt to add a mic port. I am looking for another drum head with a side port no bigger than 5-6" max. Anyone know of a good head to use? By the way, I do stuff, a lot. Should I stop stuffing and port out my kick drum? Leave it stuffed and add a port? or just plain slap a solid head on there and call it a day?
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

Default Re: Death of a Drum Head

I recently decided to not use a port hole. Instead, used felt strips on both batter and reso heads with nothing in the BD. Man, it sounds great...the shell is resonating and I have that great booming Bonham sound. So, I recommend that you try it...if its not for you, then go for the port hole and the pillow...

User Info Menu

I had a port hole in my old bd head and changed it to a no port hole and I love it. I only have a small pillow that barely touches the batter and reso head and it is 2 inches thick. When I had the ported hole I had blankets pillows and was not happy with the sound.

User Info Menu

Try the Aquarian regulator with small hole. Sounds like what you're looking for.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Ported and solid resos will give your kick a very different feel. I prefer the way a ported head feels. I know you're talking about how it sounds here. It's just something else to consider.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    try the aquarian regulator with small hole. Sounds like what you're looking for.
    +1
    Matt

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Try the Aquarian regulator with small hole. Sounds like what you're looking for.
    That's what I'm using with a small 3" pillow that just slightly touches each head. I love the sound of my bass drum and so does everyone else.
    DRUMS
    Fibes Clear Crystalite, 22"/16"/12"
    SNARES
    Pork Pie Piglite Amber Acrylic, 13x7"
    Mapex Black Panther Hand Hammered Steel, 14x6"
    CYMBALS
    Sabian AAX-celerator 15" Hi-hats
    Sabian AA 17" Medium Thin Crash
    Sabian AA 18" Rock Crash
    Sabian AAX 21" Raw Bell Dry Ride
    MISC
    DW5000 Single Pedal
    Assorted Hardware
    Remo/Aquarian Heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nio View Post
    I recently decided to not use a port hole. Instead, used felt strips on both batter and reso heads with nothing in the BD. Man, it sounds great...the shell is resonating and I have that great booming Bonham sound. So, I recommend that you try it...if its not for you, then go for the port hole and the pillow...
    +1 on felt strips.

Try felt on both heads, and add a port as well. I get a lot of compliments using that setup on my 24in Gretsch BD. My thought is... you don't put a pillow in your floor tom, do you? Let that baby resonate! Just control it a little...

I think the Aq Regulator Reso has the same effect, but I'm not sure how much dampening it provides vs felt (which you can control by where you lay the felt).

I now have felt on my Brady BD batter side.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your feedback. Please, keep it coming, as I am inexperienced in choosing the right heads and how to make them feel and sound the way I want them to. I have looked at an Aquarian Regulator head, and it sounds like what I'm interested in at this time. If all else fails, it's back to the original Pearl head I go.
    Just crank that volume to the point of pain...Why waste good music on a brain?! -Spinal Tap

User Info Menu

try the aquarian regulator with small hole. Sounds like what you're looking for.
    +3
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

What are you using on the batter side? I'm not a huge fan of bass drum stuffing, and would rather see minimal muffling techniques used. It makes no sense in my mind to stuff a drum that's supposed to sound big with a bunch of junk to make it not sound big.

Porting for a mic is a must IMO, and like others I actually prefer the feel of a ported kick drum.

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Death of a Drum Head

Quote Originally Posted by TOE KNEE View Post
    That's what I'm using with a small 3" pillow that just slightly touches each head. I love the sound of my bass drum and so does everyone else.
    Nice to hear someone is using the small pillow as it works good.

User Info Menu

+4 aquarian

having a big booming resonate kick is all good until you want to play fast and clean

personally i like to mimic the sound of a fist hitting a slab of raw meat

User Info Menu

this is not about the post but...
    i love your avatar drum for food is that the family guy chester cheetah, is talking about neil peart.
    Tama Rockstar
    Sizes to be entered later

Sabian Cymbals

DW 7k DB Pedal

User Info Menu

Just about any reso head+Kickport+NO pillow=
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Well, everyone else has voiced their methods of muffling or not muffling the bass drum...I just bought a new Yamaha Oak Custom kit and to say the kit is Loud is an understatement!
    Aquarian Focus-X heads went on the Toms and Viol'a...they sound marvelous~. On my Kick I put an Evans EMAD...I also picked up some One Inch Thick high density foam from a auto upholstery shop...just enough to almost wrap the bottom half of the shell. The Reso head is my old Remo Ebony YAMAHA logo head with the offset port hole ( taken from my Practice kit at home). Say what you will about not using any type muffling to deaden the resonance of the shell...this kick drum was LOUD and I wanted my kick to have a deep THUD with just a short amount of sustain and thats exactly what I have. Its deep, it blends in perfectly with the bass guitar and its got this really nice short sustain that just sounds so darned good. Not every kick drum will respond to this method ...but for those who are experimenting with different ways of muting their kick drum...this is one more method to try.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I'm EMAD fan myself. I'm using the foam ring on the batter to dampen both ECX bass drums for more aggressive rock music but for blues and oldies, I use a pillow stuffed into my 14x22 ludwig bass drum and a no port reso and PS3 for the batter. Nice thud.

User Info Menu

forum search

"kick port"

39 topics found

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I was really close to picking one of those up, but found something on ebay at the last minute. I found an Evans Onyx Resonant Head with about a 4" hole. So far so good. My main justification for a port hole really was so that I could shove a mic in there when going live. Although I can't really tell a difference from my old head right now because I've got half of a couch stuffed into my kick drum, I'm sure if I pull all that cotton out, I'll be sure to get a noise complaint from the neighbors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by usererror View Post
    this is not about the post but...
    i love your avatar drum for food is that the family guy chester cheetah, is talking about neil peart.
    Far out, finally someone got the avatar. It is indeed Chester Cheetah himself snorting a line of Cheetos while listening to Rush - Tom Sawyer. THERE IS NO ******* DRUMMER BETTER THAN NEIL PEART!!!

User Info Menu

+1

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Death of a Drum Head

Quote Originally Posted by willdrum4food View Post
    Far out, finally someone got the avatar. It is indeed Chester Cheetah himself snorting a line of Cheetos while listening to Rush - Tom Sawyer. THERE IS NO ******* DRUMMER BETTER THAN NEIL PEART!!!
    I agree with you I love Neil Peart and he is the best out there IMO.

User Info Menu

Aquarian superkick II for the batter and an Aquarian regulator for the reso. Put a small pillow in the kick and you will get a good booming punchy sound!
    "Don't let your pride swell....you may have to swallow it one day!"- Unknown

God made Cops so Firefighters could have heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'm waaaay past having any major parts of my body exposed. Believe me, it wouldn't add anything to the show!
    Proud member of PHROGGE's Aquarian Army

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

One Evans EQ pillow with Emad batter with 1/2" foam ring and 4 inch ported reso.