Thread: Jamming with accoustic guitars, (design project)

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Jamming with accoustic guitars, (design project)

Hey im steve,
    I'm about to start my final year project in Product Design.

A problem i have always had when jamming with my Folk/Rock band is that the rest of the band can take their guitars/ keyboard anywhere and play, where-as i need to wait untill we rehearse in the studio before I can lay down the drums.

My project will involve me designing a drum kit that has the same volume as the average accoustic guitar, can be carried by one person on his/her back and that will take less than five minutes to set up.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or has seen any other solutions other than a drum box?
    Also any general ideas or comments on this would be much appriciated.

Cheers
    Steve

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jamming with accoustic guitars, (design project)

I've dreamed of the same. Like a drum set you could to take to the beach or a park and just start jamming with acoustic guitar guys.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat sjrussell!

I have to say that your project is going to take some seriously creative thinking. I would think that finding a way to "nest" a small kit when broken down might allow you to carry it on your back.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I'm with PB, I think nesting the shells might be a great way to go about it. A small 16 or 18 kick with all the toms and snare nesting inside. You would have to go the single headed route for that though.

User Info Menu

Take a snare stand, two dog bone clamps, an old 14" or 13" tom and apropriat mount, a splash cymbal a boom arm a small piece of plywood and a snare.
    using the dog bones mount your tom on its side down at the bottom were the kick pedal attatched to the plywood can strike it, mout the splash and the snare, carry a pair of rods and your good to go.

User Info Menu

i'm no expert, but i believe less depth and thinner shells (fewer plies) will make a quieter drum. If you want it to be the level of an acoustic guitar, it can't be too loud. Also make the shells smaller in diameter. This will all help with the portability of the set.

I have a feeling that having to carry around extra hardware such as hi hat stand, cymbal stand, and kick pedal will make it less portable and easy to use. Maybe you should find a way to compact that stuff... for example connect it all to one main drum, make smaller versions, or make things retractable or something. You could also try something like the LP Compact Congas... way less size, but still good sound

I'd say a ****tail drum kit is sort of like what your thinking of, but you are trying to make it even more portable, quiet, and easy to use

May if it had some sort of carrying case that it could all fit into, that would be very helpful... like a guitar case
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

My Gretsch Cat Clubs are quiet, and go in and out of a place in 3 trips.
    Trip 1: 18" kick w/ tom on top,
    Trip 2 Snare w/ stand and Floor Tom,
    Trip 3: Throne, HiHat stand, sticks, and cymbal case.

I have clamps for the three cymbals, so no cymbal stands are necessary. With a small wheeled cart, I suppose this could be condensed to 1 trip.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replys guys!

Im thinking along the lines of nesting the shells together and having a collapsable rack to mount everything on, think its going to be a lot of prototyping/ trial and error.

Should be fun though, il keep you posted and any other advice/comments you have please share.

Cheers
    Steve

User Info Menu

a snare and a few roto-toms ?????????
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

In this:- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1Yfj-bD_N0"]YouTube- A Flavour of Flavours Jam session[/ame]

and This:- [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHDU4Npf4c&feature=related"]YouTube- TWIST AND SHOUT 1[/ame]

I'm playing a Meinl Snare cajon bongo. Works great in accoustic Jams. (The Twist and Shout one was the first evening I'd played it, It was xmas, and a lot of Alcohol had been consumed.)

A traditional Cajon, (Like I'm getting for my Birthday on Friday ) Is possibly more versatile musically, but twice the size to carry.

Andy

User Info Menu

Just got confirmation from my university that my proposale has been accepted. So by may i will have a full working prototype to play with :P

Il post pictures as it comes together

User Info Menu

Very cool sjrussell! Definitely keep us posted!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Why not try this (from me)

CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

That's exactly what I use Mind_Drummer! A converted PDP 18" floor tom, snare, high hat and a 16" crash. The last time I used that set-up was at a house party, playing with a acoustic guitar player/singer. It was just the two of us, and that little kit was perfect - no more or less than just what was needed.

User Info Menu

Hey Guys Project is going well,

Trying to go for a nested kit that can be carried in a back pack, 7'',10'',13'' Toms, 16'' kick and a popcorn snare,,,
    Out of all the concepts this seamed the most viable. It'll involve a custom rack hopfully made out of old crutches which are much lighter than normal stands.

What you think?
    Also has anyone ever seen a 7" tom? iv only seen 6 and 8s. Think im going to need to get the steamer out :P

Cheers
    Steve

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjrussell View Post
    Hey Guys Project is going well,

Trying to go for a nested kit that can be carried in a back pack, 7'',10'',13'' Toms, 16'' kick and a popcorn snare,,,
    Out of all the concepts this seamed the most viable. It'll involve a custom rack hopfully made out of old crutches which are much lighter than normal stands.

What you think?
    Also has anyone ever seen a 7" tom? iv only seen 6 and 8s. Think im going to need to get the steamer out :P

Cheers
    Steve
    STeve have you thought outside the box?....like "A Box"? cajon with snare wire..just a possiblilty and very portable
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

this has already been invented. it's called a ****tail kit. there's a floor tom, a snare, a tom, and usually a cymbal or two. a bass drum pedal is modified so that the beater strikes the bottom of the floor tom and acts as a bass drum. it's mainly designed to be small and portable.
    Pearl Export with Remo's and Evans
    Sabian AAX-plosion 16" Crash
    Sabian AAX 16" Stage Crash
    Meinl Classics 10" splash
    Sabian AA Fusion 13" hi hats
    Sabian 21" AA Dry Ride with rivets
    Some weird little cymbal that I drilled holes in.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Re: Jamming with accoustic guitars, (design project)

Ever since a buddy of mine bought the old Nady wireless rig for his guitar back in the day when they first came out,those wireless rigs are much better now,I thought about going out onto the dance floor with my drums like he could with his guitar.It would take a lot of money if I had a different wireless for each drum,(different frequencys for each one,or maybe one transmitter for the whole kit?),and attached the drums to a marching drum shoulder harness,I could play my e-kit through the Main speakers and go dance with the crowd!I have never seen it done and it is totally possible, just for an unusual show.With an e-kit you can set one up for the bass drum so you dont need the kick,just play it with the sticks,add a couple cymbals and there you go.A self contained walking drum set that plays as loud as you can turn up the Mains,LOL!

P.S. I just noticed we are talking acoustic,lol!In the words of Roseanne Roseannadanna,"Never mind!"
    Last edited by LudwigLifer; 02-20-2011 at 04:26 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Jamming with accoustic guitars, (design project)

Hey, Steve!

Sounds like an intriguing idea, and one that's been tackled in various ways...

I remember attending my boss' birthday party in the mid-'80s, and the band who did the entertaining included a kit drummer who played a set of Remo Pre-Tuned RIMS drums; they looked something like drumheads in hoops, but sounded something like a regular drum kit. Some of our older DrumChatters may remember them...

Good luck on that project, man!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck