Thread: My Practice Schedule

User Info Menu

Exclamation My Practice Schedule

I made a practice schedule to make sure I use my practice time efficiently.
    The the short practices are for times when I don't have too much time to practice or when my final exams are near.

Is there anything else I should include in there???

Last edited by Nik276; 08-12-2010 at 10:28 PM.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Practice Schedule

oh btw, the "work on singles/doubles" part is just working on single stroke speed and double stroke speed and the "pedal consistency" is working on accurate and clean bass drum strokes.

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

Optional practice should be made mandatory
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

thats way to much structure for me, i would do it for 2 weeks and then think its not fun anymore. dont get me wrong, if you have been playing for a couple years and you have a goal, this is perfect. but if your just starting out and this is your plan, its gonna feel like excersize instead of fun. ive been playing over 20 years, this is close to what i do, but without the plans, i have kids, i dont get to have plans....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bloodylipp View Post
    thats way to much structure for me, i would do it for 2 weeks and then think its not fun anymore. dont get me wrong, if you have been playing for a couple years and you have a goal, this is perfect. but if your just starting out and this is your plan, its gonna feel like excersize instead of fun. ive been playing over 20 years, this is close to what i do, but without the plans, i have kids, i dont get to have plans....
    Yeah that's sorta what I was thinking. Not enough jamming.
    Would you call about two years drumming starting out??
    Also when you say structure, you mean like the rudiments, control, speed and stuff like that right?

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Wuhan 16in China

Hardware:
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

i wouldnt say starting out, wouldnt say your done learning. but it sounds like your to the point where this is important to you. which means if this is what you want i think you have a great plan.

i would have atleast 10m of free time, i always warm up for @5-10, then just put ear plugs in and just have fun for @10, then move on to playing with music, then back to @10 messing around again.

User Info Menu

Working on rudiments and that stuff is really good, and if you are disciplined enough to make yourself do that then more power to ya! Personally I find that I just sit down behind my kit and say, "I need to work on speed today" and I play some really fast music, like Blink 182, Iron Maiden and stuff like that. If I need to work on double bass, I play music with fast double bass in it, I find that that is the best way to get myself to work on any specific thing. Because practice pad exercises drive me crazy after about ten minutes. Songs however, I can play for hours and hours and never get tired of it.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Usually my practice schedule depends on my mood. If i am tired and not feeling too good, I'll usually just play along to some songs, and then have an end of session jam.

If I am feeling good and have time, I'll usually work on some double strokes around the kit, double bass, learning songs/beats/fills, and playing more difficult material. In my opinion, practice should always be enjoyable and not a chore.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

what these guys said.............

User Info Menu

you should do practice soloing too
    Every drummer that had a name, had a name because of his individual playing. He didn't sound like anybody else, So everybody that I ever listened to, in some form, influenced my taste.
    Buddy Rich

User Info Menu

Start with your goals, and work backwards from there. Are you trying to learn jazz, rudiments, samba patterns, etc?

How fast, slow, loud, quiet do you want to play them? Certain songs or grooves you want to play? Gear your practice breakdowns toward achieving those goals. You are definitely on the right track - just tweak what you have.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Working on rudiments and that stuff is really good, and if you are disciplined enough to make yourself do that then more power to ya! Personally I find that I just sit down behind my kit and say, "I need to work on speed today" and I play some really fast music, like Blink 182, Iron Maiden and stuff like that. If I need to work on double bass, I play music with fast double bass in it, I find that that is the best way to get myself to work on any specific thing. Because practice pad exercises drive me crazy after about ten minutes. Songs however, I can play for hours and hours and never get tired of it.
    yeah i do that i think i dont have the discipline to sit there and try and learn the rudiments so i think "hmm i need to get my double bass going well in breakdowns" so i'll put on some asking alexandria or a day to remember to practice with works for me my band sees a difference and can always tell when i've prcticed a lot during the week because something will come back a lot better than it was the week before
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |