Thread: OK to start with an electronic kit?

User Info Menu

Question OK to start with an electronic kit?

OK, I know up front that asking for advice on the internet is a risky deal, but I figure after 40+ years, my BS detector works pretty well .

I've been playing bass for a couple of years and would like to learn drums.

Is there any reason I shouldn't go with an electronic kit?

I think I'd prefer acoustic, but I'm concerned that if I do that it'll be too loud to practice in the house (and I'm in Texas, so practicing in the garage is a non-starter.)

The other consideration is that we have an electronic kit at church that isn't being used, and that's the venue I'd be playing if I can get my skills up.

My immediate plan is to get a practice pad & sticks and start working on rudiments, but I like to plan ahead a bit, so I thought I'd see what y'all thought.

Thanks in advance.
    Most people don't like most music.

User Info Menu

Default Re: OK to start with an electronic kit?

Welcome to Drum Chat ColdSteelRain!

I see no problem with your thinking at all. Many of our members have both an acoustic kit, and an electronic kit. The e-kit will have a different feel than an acoustic kit, but since you will be practicing on a pad anyway, and your will probably be using an e-kit at the church, it makes a lot of sense to go with an e-kit. You will still be learning rudiments and sticking whether you go with an acoustic kit or an e-kit, so why not go with the kit that suits your needs.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

pastor bob makes a good point, but just be aware that if you get an electronic kit you could be sacrificing all the feel and authenticity of an acoustic kit. Personally I don't like electronic kits or at least the fairly cheap ones i've used. The feel is just much worse and when you switch to a real drum it might be sort of awkward. Another thing I don't like about them is they don't seem to sense dynamics that well and aren't nearly as sensitive. But if you really can't be too loud, then it it can't be that bad. Its a great idea to start with the practice pad and rudiments too
    ~Pearl, Zildjian, Hammerax, Remo, Vic Firth, LP, Pulse~

Zildjian League

User Info Menu

Some drumming is better than no drumming, so if your best option is an e-kit then go for it. If you can reasonably own and practice on an a-kit and are just asking which is better, then I'd never recommend an e-kit over an a-kit. I'd keep my $600 Tama over a $6,000 Roland TD20.

I own both types. My e-kit cost me double what my a-kit cost me and isn't half as good. With acoustics you learn to control your movements and play with the dynamics of the set to manipulate sound. With electronic you hit spot A and get sound A, you hit spot B and you get sound B. You can get it louder or softer depending on the velocity you hit at, but it doesn't matter what part of the stick you use, what size stick you use, what tips you use, what angle you hit at. It feels very shallow in comparison.

What makes e-drums weird in the world of electronic instruments is that they try desperately to mimic acoustics. Where an electric guitar is a separate instrument from an acoustic guitar and is accepted as such, electronic drums are gauged based on how much they can fool you into believing they are acoustic. They've come a long way but are still FAR off because of all the dynamics you can get out of an acoustic instrument. Even an electric guitar still works off of vibrating strings. Electronic drum pads are just on/off switches setting off a specific sound. So, the way I see it, if you can reasonably have access to an acoustic set, why play something that wants to pretend to be your acoustic set?

Again, I own both and I enjoy both. But I always use the acoustic set when possible. The electronic is for quiet practice in the evenings or when I just want to trigger ridiculous sounds.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Welcome !! I have a different take on this than most . Trigger an acoustic set ! Then You can have both and go from e drum to acoustic in just a few minutes ! Very easy to to do ! I'll be glad to help if You want just let me know !
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your good replies, they've given me something to think about.

@2slow: I'll need to be able to practice quietly; if I trigger an a-kit can I also use muting?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSteelRain View Post
    Thanks everyone for your good replies, they've given me something to think about.

@2slow: I'll need to be able to practice quietly; if I trigger an a-kit can I also use muting?
    use mesh heads and it's very low I play my set at anyhour while my family sleeps!!

here's a couple shots of it

E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    use mesh heads and it's very low I play my set at anyhour while my family sleeps!!

here's a couple shots of it
    That's not really using triggers with an acoustic set. When you said that I was thinking of ddrum triggers or something like that. That's a complete A-to-E conversion. You still get all of the shortcomings of electronics, such as lack of dynamics, but it brings you closer to the feel of playing an acoustic set as far as spacing of toms and such.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Thanks again. I'll have to take a look at mesh heads. Next up though, is to get a pair of sticks and start on the rudiments.