Thread: My First Drumkit

User Info Menu

Default My First Drumkit

Hey guys, I'm a noobie here and the community I usually hang around online to talk about music couldn't give me any suggestions on this so I thought I'd try a more dedicated approach!

I've decided to purchase my first drumkit after wanting to take them up seriously for over a year now and I think it should be an electronic kit, since the walls in my house are thin and it'd be nice to operate a kit without all the noise for everyone else I live with! They also seem to be a lot cheaper than acoustic ones. If I ever got the money again I'd buy an acoustic kit too since electronic kits are doing nothing more than trying to emulate them, but I'll have to settle for one at the moment.

Could you guys help me decide which would be the best value for money? I live in Ireland and my budget is in and around €500 ($640/£410). I've already looked up a few kits and maybe you guys could tell me the pros and cons of them?

*sorry Twilightning, but the commercial links are prohibited by the Forum Rules. I gave you the pics instead. - PB*

Alesis DM6:

Session Pro DD505:

User Info Menu

Default Re: My First Drumkit

Welcome to Drum Chat Twilightning!

Here are the other 2:

New Electronic 502:

Performance Percussion:

I am not an expert on the e-kits, so I will leave this for others to comment.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

No expert either, but welcome!
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Welcome to Drum Chat Twilightning!

Here are the other 2:

New Electronic 502:

Performance Percussion:

I am not an expert on the e-kits, so I will leave this for others to comment.
    PB, you found my first kit!!! I could never find pics of it anywhere, I didn't even know what brand it was.
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Personally i would go with any of those, they look like they're all basicly the same, They're entry level and i doubt there's gonna be much difference between them
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

They all look the same because they all are the same; rebranded medeli pads (which are horrible). The hardware on those sets are trash and the modules aren't much better. Honestly, with your budget, the only decent kit worth looking at is the Yamaha DTXplorer. Anything else in that price range just flat out sucks.
    ^^^ SGD's Evans Empire ^^^

User Info Menu

Well out of these i'd go Alesis, because they make good e-kits. Or go for the Yamaha DTXplorer like DLDante said. Great kit, better pads, better module.

Other than that, welcome to the forum.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Well out of these i'd go Alesis, because they make good e-kits.
    I don't know about that. I'll say that they make good modules. The DM5 is a classic and the DM10 looks to be great as well. Their hardware stinks though. Most of it is rebranded Medeli garbage and even the original stuff isn't that good. Roland and Yamaha outclass Alesis in the hardware department big time.

Oh, and don't be fooled into thinking that the DM6 is better than the DM5 because it's a number higher. The DM6 is a toy in comparison.

User Info Menu

I guess I'll go for the Yamaha one then. I was always told previously that either Yamaha or Roland were the way to go as regards instruments like this. I have a Yamaha keyboard too.

User Info Menu

I dont know much about E-kits but I do kmow that Yamaha does make good stuff.

Welcome to the board.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

twightlightning, acoustic DC'r here too..but welcome to the chat, as you will see there is no shortage of GREAT information given here.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

My suggestion is pieceing together a used kit. With Yamaha's recent release of the DTXtreme III and the debut of the Yamaha DTX950, there is a flood of used Yamaha modules on the market. I bought a used Yamaha DTXpressIII module ('04 model) for $150 USD and found a used Yamaha DTXpress IV pad set on MF for $540 USD. My rack is a Gibraltar starter kit which I bought new for $199 (for my acoustic kit).

Last edited by late8; 08-25-2010 at 03:44 PM.

dave0549jv Guest

i picked up a DTXplorer a few months ago, and i'm very happy with it. The only thing i would eventually like to upgrade is the snare pad. The one it comes with is fine, but it's only single zone. it would be nice to have some cross stick and rim shot action. a two zone ride would also be kinda nice.

overall though, the kit is great. best practice tool i have.

User Info Menu

Roland TD-4KS

that snare makes all the difference

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Roland TD-4KS

that snare makes all the difference
    The TD4 costs twice as much as the DTXplorer but isn't twice as good. If you really want that mesh snare, you can pick those up for $100, add it to the DTXplorer and still come out cheaper.