Thread: Drumming as a workout?

User Info Menu

Default Drumming as a workout?

I saw a thread on this some time ago and can't remember what exactly it was called, but I was wondering what kind of workout a person can get from drumming. I'm not a particularly active person and drumming is really the only consistent physical activity I have. I don't play sports and due to a medical thing, I don't do gym at school. Not to say I'm completely inactive. I do stuff around my house, I have a small daily workout consisting of crunches and lifting some free weights and I'll walk home from school if the weather is nice. But I was wondering how many calories drumming would burn. I play for about an hour and a half on a daily to semi-daily basis depending on my schedule. So how does it rate compared to other things? I'm not looking to lose weight just by drumming, but I was curious.

===================

Advertisement
    Workout Drumsticks for Exercise Classes

http://store.drumbum.com/skuSTK-800.html

Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming as a workout?

unless you practice very hard for about 30 min. its not going to do you much good . it doesnt raise your heart rate enough to really give you a good workout.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Yeah I wouldn't depend on drumming either, especially if you're used to practicing hard. Eventually you'll barely break a sweat unless you go crazy the whole hour+

User Info Menu

We do have another thread like this. It was pretty much decided that drumming's better than nothing, but will never compare to a real workout.

User Info Menu

when i play, i demolish shirts! i mean, i sweat a lot.
    its hot down here south texas, and im playing some intricate stuff.
    i play for about 45 minutes to an hour, and my limbs feel pretty worked out,but thats just my 2 cents.

PERCUSSION PLUS 4-PIECE KIT
    ALL EVANS HEADS!!
    12X8 G2 ON TOP/HYDRAULICS ON THE BOTTOM
    13X9 G2 ON TOP/HYDRAULICS ON THE BOTTOM
    16X14 G2 ON TOP/HYDRAULICS ON THE BOTTOM
    20X20 EQ2 BATTER/ EQ1 RESO

SAVAGE PERCUSSION
    14X5.5 GENERA HD BATTER/HAZY 300 RESO

ZILDJIAN,SABIAN, STAGG
    ZBT CRASH RIDE 18in
    AA ROCK CRASH 18in
    ZBT CHINA 16in
    ZBT PLUS MEDIUM RIDE 20in
    DH HIHATS 14in

DIXON DOUBLE PEDAL
    YAMAHA HARDWARE
    VIC FIRTH 55B STICKS
    i think i beasted on you.

User Info Menu

Depends on what your playing.

Jazz players could get more exercise with a pen and paper.

Metal and Hard Rock drumming can sometimes be equivalent to jogging and freelifting.

It also depends on how "into it" you are.

When I'm with my band, I start sweating immediately. By the 3rd song, my legs and knees start to get sore (I do a lot of double bass).
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crateis View Post
    Yeah I wouldn't depend on drumming either, especially if you're used to practicing hard. Eventually you'll barely break a sweat unless you go crazy the whole hour+
    You must play some pretty quiet stuff...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Probably better excercise than channel surfing, but by how much, who knows.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Double bass drumming works my legs to a point where I break a sweat but not enough to raise my heartbeat above the threshold of a brisk walk or a light jog. Single strokes and double strokes on a practice pad improves my stick control but have no bearing on building muscles in my arms; maybe it can help the muscles along my wrists but that's about the extent of it.
    Last edited by late8; 08-19-2010 at 06:37 PM.

User Info Menu

I sweat plenty when I play lol
    Cymbals
    14" AA Fusion Hats | 8" Max Splash | 10" HHX Evolution Splash | 16" AA Bright Crash | 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride | 18" APX Crash | 14" Wuhan China
    Tama Hyperdrive 5 Piece Kit
    Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14" Snare
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr. single bass pedal

Four Of Spades Facebook Page

Want advice on upgrading your cymbals?
    Click here!

User Info Menu

Jazz players could get more exercise with a pen and paper.
    That is called good technique.

User Info Menu

sweating a lot does not mean its a good workout , thats just your body trying to cool off ,, for a decent workout you have to raise your heartbeat for a certain amount of time ,which unless you practice like a total animal, you prob. won't do. you will use your muscles,and its not bad , but as a workout ,you'd be better off going for a brisk walk.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

I agree that it does depend on what you are playing. For example, when I play at church, I sweat more during setup and breakdown then when I'm actually playing. However, when I play with my Rock band, I sweat like a pig...in addition, I've got the fan and a small cooler to keep my gatorade. The bottom line is if you're burning calories, you will lose the weight. Its considered low impact and will not hurt your joints (as compared to running). Its good cardio because all your limbs are constantly going and gets your heart pumping....but does not raise your heart rate enough to experience that "burn" that you get when you run. So, if you can practice 2-3 hours a day, then I would say that it is a good workout. Btw, a "good workout" is a relative term. For a young athlete whose used to running and lifting weights until exhaustion, this may not be considered a good workout. But, for someone who doesn't workout at all, this is a great workout !
    Last edited by nio; 08-20-2010 at 08:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Yeah its better than no workout at all. Your not getting much cardio but at least your burning calories.
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

play like keith moon and ou'll get a decent work out haha
    hai dere

User Info Menu

in time warps episode on mike mangini, they say that rock drummers can burn up to 600 calories an hour. just take a look at guys like derek roddy and george kollias, they might not be rock drummers but they probably burn even more calories than 600
    BREAK THE RECORD!

"Only the mediocre are always at their best"

"All im going to do is go on and do what i feel"-Jimi Hendrix

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum'z View Post
    in time warps episode on mike mangini, they say that rock drummers can burn up to 600 calories an hour. just take a look at guys like derek roddy and george kollias, they might not be rock drummers but they probably burn even more calories than 600
    I would have thought that a rock drummer would burn more calories than an extreme metal drummer. When you see these guys blasting away, doing insane double kick runs and long fills around the kit, they're not actually using that much energy, because it's all small movements.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

some of these links may have been seen in the other thread but heres some links about drumming as a workout :D

http://www.latimes.com/sns-health-us...,7278221.story

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7518888.stm

:D i play rock/metal with a bit of techno/dance mixed in with them and get really sweaty while playing and need to drink loads of water just to top up
    | Yamaha Stage Custom | Sabian AAX | Dream |

User Info Menu

I've found that it has great effects on the core - all that interaction between hands and legs, focused on your abs, and just keeping your balance. And come on, compared to the couch potatoes occupying most of this country, drumming's a great workout!

User Info Menu

One time i woke up with soar arms from drumming hard :P