Thread: Multi-rods

User Info Menu

Default Multi-rods

Hey guys-
    ive been offered a few acoustic backup-musician gigs, and the girls that have asked me to back up sing and play acoustic guitar. Im thinking i'll need multi-rods, and need suggestions. I want them to be loud enough to be heard, but soft enough that im not overpowering the singers.
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Default Re: Multi-rods

tah, I use the Pro-Mark Hot Rods where I need things to be a bit quieter, and I have always been impressed with them. I know they are several other options as well, but I have no experience with those. I'm sure others can give you a rundown on them though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hot Rods are the bomb. They've been used for years in those exact settings and served everyone well. You can't go wrong there.

User Info Menu

+1 on the Hot Rods (or Splinter Factories, as I call 'em...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    +1 on the Hot Rods (or Splinter Factories, as I call 'em...)
    Amen on the "Splinter Factories!"
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

ok so im leaning towards the hot rods, but anyone try the steve smith tala wands? ive almost always used Vics, and these seem good. slightly more expensive tho. worth it? or hot rods?
    Pearl-Zildjian-Evans-Vater

I go to my local drum shop and purchase my sticks. I like to touch them before I buy them ;-)
    -TxDrummer
    My parents just get mad when i crash the ride. Thats true for cars and cymbals
    -jordison515

My Band:
    http://www.facebook.com/ArviaMusic
    Record for Most Users Online
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Amen on the "Splinter Factories!"
    Yup, although fortunately I find the pieces fly off at the rest of the band, and not at me!!!!!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I recently bought a set of "cool rods". Even smaller and lighter than the "hot rods". I really like the feel and sound of them. They are light enough to almost do rolls with(ALMOST)

I've only had them for a few days, so I can't really say how they will hold up, but so far so good!

User Info Menu

I tried the thinner rods and the fatter rods and didn't like either of them. I guess it's sometimes just what you get used to. The hot rods just feel right to me. I've been using them for years. My only complaint is that middle part always sliding down. It's only duct tape underneath it. It could be designed better but I guess that's how they get you coming back for more.

User Info Menu

I love Hot Rods. I've also had a pair of similar things called Calato Blastics (spelling?), which are more open at the end like brushes. I feel much more comfortable with the Hot Rods, but try, try, try.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

I always tape my new rods about an inch away from the end. They tend to splay after a bit of use and lose their attack. Tuning the toms to sound good with the rods is also a challenge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Tuning the toms to sound good with the rods is also a challenge.
    Yea, and they don't sound on the ride cymbal unless it's a super pingy ride.

User Info Menu

The ride is the biggest issue for me as well, even though my ride is fairly "pingy".
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Go with Pro Mark Stealth Rods. The nylon bristles give you a little more volume and wear than Hot Rods, IMO.

But they also cost more... ahh, tradeoffs...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Im gonna agree with PB, drummer and xsaber on the Hot Rods.

You may also like the sound of a felt mallet.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

A couple of days ago I bought my first pair of multi-rods, some Pro-Mark Hot Rods. These things are great! I really thought I was going to hate them, but wanted to have a pair in my stick bag anyway. To my surprise they are very responsive to open rolls and drags. I love the way they make my snare sound too, almost timbale like.

User Info Menu

I use Pro-Mark Hot Rods. I have tried the Vater bamboo multi-rods also, and like them too.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

The shop in my area says they don`t make the steel brushes anymore but I think he just wants to push the rods.I had a set of the old style brushes and want to find some.I guess I`ll have to go online to buy them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    T.C.

ThePloughman Guest

You need to find a new shop, that guy is smoking dope. Brushes.

And learn stick dynamics. It takes time to develope the skill to play a small room with acoustic music and use sticks. It can be done. I can play with a piano, acoustic guitar, bass, and vocals in a 20 x 20 room, and SMALLER, and still use sticks. It can be done.