Thread: Tycoon Percussion Series 29 Acrylic Cajon

User Info Menu

Arrow Tycoon Percussion Series 29 Acrylic Cajon

Anyone know anything about it? Caught my eye but it's not on their website or the large online retailers.

I think I saw it mentioned in Modern Drummer at some point; does this one have the possibility of being plugged into an amp or was that a different one?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tycoon Percussion Series 29 Acrylic Cajon

EEK....Ugly version of a Cajon ! I have not enjoyed the lame variations of the Peruvian Cajons, made in Asia. They over do the snares and add gizmos, but the fundamental sructure, sound & the materials used...are not as good as Peruvian Cajons made by " Atempo " who make Gon Bops cajons. Fat Congas make a few nice ones. Spain makes great ones too ! Cajons are supposed to be musical drums...not just objects to be bought & sold. The industry just does not get it ! Any cajon w/ snares...sould only have the light snare sound on the top / high pitched area ...leaving the other tones to sound like toms or bass drum....why have an entire snare cajon ? Afro Peruvian Cajons...have no snares * it is supposed to replicate conga tones and some times...the loosening of the corner screws of the playing surface allows a dry slap that is balanced not over bearing compared to the other tones. Would you Buy a Bass drum w/ snare wires buzzing with every note ? Cajon players....like Bongo players...are mostly owned by people who do not study the instrument or the music / rhythms associated to the instrument. I suggest Cajon playing " wanna be's " ...actualy study Peruvian Creolla & Afro Peruvian Stylings & techniques....then...apply other music & rhythm syyles as repotoir.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 08-31-2010 at 10:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Ernesto I agree 100%. Every cajon I've played on in the stores has sounded awful. The bass tones are weak, slaps sound plasticy (for lack of a better word) and rattley, and the snares are just silly. Every cajon I've played on at guitar center sounds like a deep marching snare with loose heads and loose wires, and nothing like it should. I've heard some great sounding Puruvian cajons that were extremely musical, with nice solid congaesque tones, deep booming bass, and crisp slaps. The difference is night and day.

User Info Menu

I don't know anything about snare wires on this model. The only thing I know is this review I found:

Like a typhoon, Tycoon Percussion makes landfall with the only cajón not made entirely out of wood. There's a natural burl playing surface on the front, but the body is an ultra-sheen acrylic. This is definitely eye-catching for its unconventionality. And the tone is bound to grab some ears and souls in kind. This box has some serious boom, no question about it. Instruments like this are proof that Tycoon is making waves as a serious contender in the commercial percussion arena.

User Info Menu

I got it from my parents for my birthday and the back was shoved inside the box. It was a clean break except for the corners. Does anyone know if this cajon is particularly fragile?