Thread: Traditional Style

User Info Menu

Default Traditional Style

Anyone got any tips on traditional playing techniques? I can't even manage to hold my sticks the correct way. Is there any benefits to playing traditionally or is it just another style?

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Dito that!

User Info Menu

Just another style to play.

A lot of people prefer it over matched grip as it allows a greater range of dynamics.

I've never mastered it, or even really attempted to learn it. I'd like to, given a lot of time, but I'm concentrating on other issues at the moment.

Learning a different way to hold your sticks after playing matched for a long time is hard to adjust to. But if you're really set on learning it, just stick to it, and it should come after some practice.

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Neither is better. They're just different. There have been successful drummers using both grips.

User Info Menu

It just seems like every really famous and amazing drummers use the traditional grip and it does something for them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat
    It just seems like every really famous and amazing drummers use the traditional grip and it does something for them.
    I think it's more that the really famous and amazing drummers use both traditional and matched grip.

The amount of famous drummers who switch between the two grips has always amazed me.

I suppose, if you're gonna be that good, generally you'll work hard at being able to do every drum related thing that you can.

User Info Menu

I recently started using traditional grip and it came really naturally to me, and I'd say only after a couple days of using it was almost as good as my matched grip. Some tips I'd give (I haven't used it long so I'm sure others could give you much better suggestions) are keep your hand loose, practice taking off your fingers that go over the stick and just work the stick using your thumb and the groove it fits into, try practive the moller technique it really helped me get a feel for the nature bounce the grip produces, and lastly just go back to doing some basic rudiments and after you get some hang of it mess around with it on your set.
    Last edited by Eons; 04-11-2007 at 07:37 PM.

User Info Menu

it's not that much different for me, it just looks cool to switch between match and traditional
    The egg approves!

User Info Menu

Yea, once you get over the initial feel for the grip matched and traditional really don't feel all that different, atleast to me.

User Info Menu

i also have just started to try and play traditional, i tried it for about 4 days and i was starting to get the feel of it, but i don't want to put to much on my plate, so i'm planning on learning it later on.

User Info Menu

I think I'm still holding my sticks wrong :(

User Info Menu

32ndHeartBeat, ill send you a link that helped me, you can see exactly how the guy holds his stick for traditional (its also a good page for drum tips from a pro) look like a quarter ways down the page and look for the video that says 'The Traditional Grip'. its an awesome place!

User Info Menu

whats with me? I also forget to send the link every single time

...http://www.vicfirth.com/education/dr...mfamularo.html

User Info Menu

Sweet sweet, thanks man.

User Info Menu

Those videos help more than I thought. Thanks again

User Info Menu

My teacher uses both grips. And (I've got to say) that's something I admire. Both grips require different movements and different exercises, right? so it is really duplicatin efforts. Is it not?

User Info Menu

i find traditional useful for concert band, and jazz music. when drumming hard and fast, matched all the way.
    I really wish that we could actually show the pictures in here...

User Info Menu

yeah there great arn't they?

User Info Menu

Just to clairfy as I'm not really up on the lingo - traditional grip is kind of "underhand" holding, whereas match grip is like overhand or giving a hand shake right?

If match is what I think it is, then it must be better for speed as it is the grip used by Mike Mangini for his world records. Maybe that's just him though, i don't know.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?