Thread: 18 inch bass drum question

User Info Menu

Default 18 inch bass drum question

I am currently looking into buying an 18 inch bass drum kit. I will be playing a gig at a restruant/bar setting out on a deck. I have heard that the 18 inch bass is used for more of jazz playing. Is this correct? Does anyone recommend the smaller bass or have any info for me before I make the purchase. I know that one advantage is easier carry when setting up and moving from gig to gig. Help me guys, what else do I need to know about the smaller bass kit. (It is a Gretsch "catalina kit") Thanks

User Info Menu

The only thing to know is that in most cases you will not get a big sound out of it. If you're in a small, quieter setting, you should be ok.
    - Tom

Save up to 70% OFF CLEARANCE ITEMS!
    From T-shirts to stickers to drum accessories, get the absolute lowest pricing on clearance merchandise from Drum Bum!.

Click here for Clearance Items

When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.
    That will also allow you to be eligible to win a free drum T-shirt. Drum Bum gives away a free T-shirt every month!

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congratulations on a great purchase!
    Like drummer said, the only difference is how far it carries, you have to use your kick pretty hard.
    Might I suggest also changing the heads after a few weeks of playing and perhaps buying a woofer to give it more strength.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. What exactly is a woofer and how does it work. Is it the thing that Russ Miller uses alot on his bass? thanks

User Info Menu

A woofer is sometimes built into a bass head, you can also buy big woofers that attach right onto your bass. All it does is gives the kick a little more "oomph" and carries the sound.

www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

i like my 18" it was once a floor tom but has been converted to a kick. i use it for all my jazz and accoustic gigs. it has an evans superkick1 on he batter and a remo fibreskyn on the front.