Thread: favorite drummers dont exist anymore

User Info Menu

Default favorite drummers dont exist anymore

i realised that i can no longer choose my favorite drummer. i love so many different drummers all for different reasons. gerorge kollias is a ridiculously fast drummer, whereas aaron spears has it so in time, and is a master of dynamics. just two examples...
    every now and then i change my mind on who is 'my favorite drummer' but i really cant choose anymore. i have about 13 favorites now.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Default Re: favorite drummers dont exist anymore

Well i have a favorite drummer NOW but im sure it'll change some time soon. lol
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Haha that's like me. When I was starting drums, my favourite drummer was Dave Weckl. Now, I don't have a favourite drummer, I have about 100 favourite drummers that I really really like! And earlier today I just added another to my list of favourites - Terri Lyne Carrington.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Aplgh-lBU8"]YouTube- Future2Future[/ame]
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Most of my best drummers are dead or retired but the only one I admire is Neil Peart cause I am not into the new 2000 stuff. I am an old 60-70-80's classic rock era drummer.

User Info Menu

Me too PMM, but the talent on all these guys today is amazing, I can't really decide but I've been captivated a couple times by Gavin Harrison lately.

User Info Menu

Once drummers reach a certain skill level, I think the term 'best drummer' is irrelevant, since it's apples & oranges, so I think 'favorite drummer' can go the same way. For us, we should pick up the licks and influences from a lot of different drummers, and not hang on one so long that we become their clone. At a certain point, I realized I had to purge the Neil Peart out of my drumming; but I know a couple drummers who never did. Then someone said, " I saw you play; you listen to a lot of Stu Copeland, don't you?" I realized that was too much Stu. and so on. . . .
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I agree, there are alot of great drummers out there. My current fav is Carter Beauford, he makes it look so easy, and effortless. All the time grinning ear to ear

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OiAuIV9xHo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OiAuIV9xHo[/ame]

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

This will sound cornery or even sapping, but my favorite drummers are all here on the Drum Chat, mostly because we all can really relate to one another..IMO
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Group hug!

Not corny, I haven't been here that long, but I understand where you are coming from!

Gretsch catalina maple in cherry red (fusion)
    Zildjian -18" ZBT crash
    14" ZBT crash
    20" ZBT ride
    Sabian -14" B8 hats
    Dream - 10" splash
    LP jam block
    Meinl tambourine
    Remo roto toms

Evans heads:
    toms-frosted EC2 SST
    snare-coated power center reverse dot
    bass-clear EMAD w/large ring

Ludwig hardware
    Pacific HH stand
    Pork Pie Big Boy Bicycle Throne

User Info Menu

=^-..-^= *sniff!*
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

If I had to choose a favorite drummer, it would be ME!
    Not because I think I'm such an awesome drummer or play better than anybody or anything like that. But rather because it's who I have to focus on, and the only one I have any control of.

Waaaaayyyy too many great drummers out there past and present. All have different styles, use different techniques, play different genres and the best have these things put on display for everyone to see and hear, and we may never witness any of their weaknesses but you know they have them. They're human too.

So yea, I'm my favorite drummer because I try to incorporate elements from the best of the best to help ME play my best.

Now, if I could only motivate myself to get off the computer and go practice a bit...

User Info Menu

Smile Re: favorite drummers dont exist anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Me too PMM, but the talent on all these guys today is amazing, I can't really decide but I've been captivated a couple times by Gavin Harrison lately.
    I agree with you Spiderjig that some of these guys of today are amazing but you look at the equipment they use compared to 40 years ago. We did not have double bass pedals, the drums where probably heavier and there wasn't the assortment of sticks or drumheads like today. So these guys have it easy compared to the old guy of the 50-60-70's era where they had work twice as hard for speed and sound. That's my opinion.

User Info Menu

One of my biggest influences though is Benny Greb.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Cool Re: favorite drummers dont exist anymore

IMHO, there are so many good drummers, much less great drummers, it's like trying to pick your favorite from 31 flavors of ice cream...but oh, the fun you have experiencing them all!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I have a new favorite drummer after almost every concert I go to haha because I hear them live and I go "Wow they are really good!" And then I start looking at more of their playing and I really fall in love with their playing style, then the next weekend I have a new favorite. I am a favorite-drummer-junkie haha

Right now it's Carter Beauford, since this weekend was three days of Dave Matthews Band. He is so good, dead on and always having the time of his life up there. (He is always in my top ten favorites though.)
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

i had my 'joey jordison phase' for about 3 days :P
    Last edited by almostmatt1; 09-07-2010 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex