Thread: Without a bassist?

User Info Menu

Default Without a bassist?

So Burning Shaddows has been having problems finding a bassist for a year. After we found one bassist, we found a backup. However, neither can join our band quite yet as both of them are busy. So if we start without a bassist, tell us your opinion

Concrete Building,
    Drummer
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC
    RIP frank. You'll never be forgotten.
    Post by Yohin: "I never say anything good enough for anyone's sig."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Without a bassist?

hmm, dealing with something rather similar, bass players keep flaking on us because there is so much that they can do.

We havent made the decision to go that route, but if we did, we would be recording bass tracks and loading them into the guitar players loop machine, making sure we have a bass behind the music because it is going to be necessary to get the right sound.

i would recommend waiting, just because of stage show if anything else.

best of luck
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

Ever thought about getting a KEYBOARD player to do it?

Why not?

User Info Menu

fair idea as well. i never thought of that, maybe that would be an other idea as well.
    My Gear

PDP FS Fusion
    Pearl Eliminator Double Pedal
    DW Drop Clutch
    Ludwig and Pearl Cymbal Stands
    8" Zildjan A Custom Splash
    8" Sabian Splash
    14" Dream Bliss Hats
    18" Dream Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Dream Vintage Bliss Crash/Ride
    18" Paiste China
    20" Zildjan ZXT Titanium Ride

User Info Menu

Keys work really well when you dont have a bass player.
    Also who says you need a bass player? You could go the White Stripes route.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Keys work really well when you dont have a bass player.
    Also who says you need a bass player? You could go the White Stripes route.
    yep i agree with nr plus since you play metalcore usually the bassist for that type of music just follows your feet so its not really necessary for the type of music you play you should try it
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Don't worry man. Anyone can play Bass. Mostly you just have to act like your playing unless your great at bass like Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    [FONT="Garamond"] Drums are the Greatest thing that ever happened to me!!

User Info Menu

We've had periods without bass players. Keyboardist is good option if you have covers, or originals, where bass is critical.
    "I consider every drummer that ever played before me an influence, in every way." (Buddy Rich)

"How do you keep 90 people together with one stick? I've got two sticks and i can't keep 5 people together." (Ian Paice)

User Info Menu

Ok so I'm getting alot of keyboardist suggestions. I was thinking the same thing since they could use chords to do that. Is it any easier getting a keyboardist?
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by concrete Building View Post
    Ok so I'm getting alot of keyboardist suggestions. I was thinking the same thing since they could use chords to do that. Is it any easier getting a keyboardist?
    Not in my experience but at least that's in my area.

There aren't many keyboardists and the ones that are any good are usually already in a band.

It might be hard finding someone good enough and available at the same time.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerDlux View Post
    Don't worry man. Anyone can play Bass. Mostly you just have to act like your playing unless your great at bass like Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers.
    Oh no you didn't!

Anyone can PRETEND to play bass...just as anyone could PRETEND to play drums. Whether they actually sound good is the question.

You seem to think a bassist is worthless and only has to stand there and move his head back and forth. That is simply not true.

As a bass player for 10 or so years...let me tell you...it completes the music as much as any other instrument. It is ESSENTIAL for laying a foundation along with the drums.

Without it, the music sounds weak. Try taking away your bass drum and only playing cymbals, toms, and snare. Something would certainly be amiss!

IMO, a keyboardist can fill in a bass line, but you shouldn't come to rely on that. They need to focus on their own thing, filling crazy melodies and chords, just as a bass player needs to pound that low end underneath everything. It's why they are two separate instruments.

User Info Menu

Get another guitarist and have him play rhythm, but in a key lower than the rest of the band. It actually doesn't sound bad
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    IMO, a keyboardist can fill in a bass line, but you shouldn't come to rely on that.
    Yeah, but sadly that's what options come to. I have both very busy bassists and if I want to get this band up and moving, I've gotta do it soon. And with what options I have left. And I certainly don't want to be looking around for another year for yet another bassist.
    Quote Originally Posted by jordison515 View Post
    Get another guitarist and have him play rhythm, but in a key lower than the rest of the band. It actually doesn't sound bad
    I've thought of doing that, and yes, it doesn't sound too bad, especially with the current setlist we have. If i can get the person I want for lead guitarist (She can hear a song and play it back, even if it's for the first time.), that would work VERY nicely. Sorry Tim, but options are options, and I do understand your view on bassists, and I share it as well, but under the circumstances, we can't have a bassist.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC

User Info Menu

What is it about bassists? I've lived in NYC for a LONG time and I can say that they are the bane of my existence. It seems I have to call 8 of them every time I have a gig or have been asked to get a bassist.
    In general, my advice for anyone is get someone who is a cool person and easy to get along with. Of course they gotta BRING it, too. Todd

User Info Menu

A bass player is just a guitar player who couldnt handle the two extra strings.

User Info Menu

Tell that to a 6 string bass player or Doug Wimbish.

[/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Timeaction this is a great response! I long for bass and I'm so sick of how empty our band sounds with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    Oh no you didn't!

Anyone can PRETEND to play bass...just as anyone could PRETEND to play drums. Whether they actually sound good is the question.

You seem to think a bassist is worthless and only has to stand there and move his head back and forth. That is simply not true.

As a bass player for 10 or so years...let me tell you...it completes the music as much as any other instrument. It is ESSENTIAL for laying a foundation along with the drums.

Without it, the music sounds weak. Try taking away your bass drum and only playing cymbals, toms, and snare. Something would certainly be amiss!

IMO, a keyboardist can fill in a bass line, but you shouldn't come to rely on that. They need to focus on their own thing, filling crazy melodies and chords, just as a bass player needs to pound that low end underneath everything. It's why they are two separate instruments.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by t.ice View Post
    What is it about bassists? I've lived in NYC for a LONG time and I can say that they are the bane of my existence. It seems I have to call 8 of them every time I have a gig or have been asked to get a bassist.
    In general, my advice for anyone is get someone who is a cool person and easy to get along with. Of course they gotta BRING it, too. Todd
    Very true, bassists are very common in NYC as I have seen during my weekend over there. However, they are not nearly as common around Chicago.
    PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY
    TERROROUS TENORS
    TAMAHOLIC