Thread: Removing stickers from kit

User Info Menu

Default Removing stickers from kit

My second hand Pearl Forum, while a great deal, came with some additional 'adornment' that I would quite like to remove. The cymbals had 'black flames' on them, which were drawn in black marker pen. Lots of elbow grease and barkeepers friend got those off.

I also have a few largish stickers on the drums themselves, like 8" by 4" size. Two on the shells of the toms and a Korn sticker on the bass reso head.

What is the best way to get these off without damaging the surface of the shells? Should I try and steam them, use white spirit, something else or just leave them be? I'm not sure what the shell is made of, here's a picture if it helps any.

With regards the reso head. While I like Korn, I don't like them that much and would prefer not to have the sticker on there. But is it going to be more trouble than its worth getting it off a head without damage? One of these days I'll replace the heads on the bass anyway, so if it's risky I'll just live with it.

DRUM STICKERS FOR DRUMMERS

Drum Stickers
    Advertisement
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Removing stickers from kit

A product called Goo Gone is good for dissoving ahesives.

all the best...

User Info Menu

WD 40 works well for this application also.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 09-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    +1

Even removes years of duct tape residue (I'm embarrassed to day).
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Salad/cooking oil. If it works, clean it thoroughly otherwise people will think you've got a french frier in there! Then WD40 if that doesn't work.

User Info Menu

Douse it in gasoline and light it up. Those drum stickers will burn right off of there!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Douse it in gasoline and light it up. Those stickers will burn right off of there!
    Ah, so that's what Tommy Lee is doing when he lights up his kit

Thanks for the pointers everyone, few things to try there.
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Before you try anything chemical, an old family friend used to detail cars. When he had a bumper sticker to remove, he warmed an edge first with a hair dryer and SLOOOOWLY peeled while aiming the heat at the sticker's adhesive side.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Before you try anything chemical, an old family friend used to detail cars. When he had a bumper sticker to remove, he warmed an edge first with a hair dryer and SLOOOOWLY peeled while aiming the heat at the sticker's adhesive side.
    Thanks for this, that is definitely worth a go. The stickers are of a similar type to bumper stickers (as opposed to more papery ones that steaming would work with) and I have to say I'd rather avoid chemicals if I can help it. If only because my drum room is very small and I don't want to stink it out!

Thinking it through, I can see this would be cool on the shells, but how would the reso head on the bass drum react to the heat? Not sure what it's made of tbh.

User Info Menu

I agree with mrB on this, no chemicals as they may harm your finish.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Removing stickers from kit

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    WD 40 works well for this application also.
    Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Salad/cooking oil. If it works, clean it thoroughly otherwise people will think you've got a french frier in there! Then WD40 if that doesn't work.
    Do these three only as a last resort; if you do, clean them off thoroughly!

Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    You may not even have to use the hair dryer. If you can set the drums in a sunny window (that is, where the sun will hit the stickers) for a few hours, you should be able to peel the sticker off slowly as MrB suggests. Patience is the key, however. I've noticed this when I had to remove stickers I had stuck on the rear window of my car...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    You may not even have to use the hair dryer. If you can set the drums in a sunny window (that is, where the sun will hit the stickers) for a few hours, you should be able to peel the sticker off slowly as MrB suggests. Patience is the key, however. I've noticed this when I had to remove stickers I had stuck on the rear window of my car...
    Heh, I live in England and it's October, It'll be at least half a year before I could try that

User Info Menu

Using the hair dryer is ok but you must make sure it is not too hot cause it may make the glue under the wraps come apart and form a air bubble then you are in trouble.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Using the hair dryer is ok but you must make sure it is not too hot cause it may make the glue under the wraps come apart and form a air bubble then you are in trouble.
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll make sure I'm careful with it!

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Hey folks,,,,
    i sell stuff for a livin
    dat takes that stuff off....
    Err, what does?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TPO View Post
    Thanks for this, that is definitely worth a go. The stickers are of a similar type to bumper stickers (as opposed to more papery ones that steaming would work with) and I have to say I'd rather avoid chemicals if I can help it. If only because my drum room is very small and I don't want to stink it out!

Thinking it through, I can see this would be cool on the shells, but how would the reso head on the bass drum react to the heat? Not sure what it's made of tbh.
    Mylar's melting point is just over 250 C. Taking a hair dryer to the sticker will not melt the head.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Hair dryer and slide a piece of dental floss underneath the edges of the sticker and work the floss back and forth to separate the adhesive from the surface.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    +1 my thoughts exactly!